7 minute miles

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Lead Poison1981, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Lead Poison1981

Lead Poison1981 New Member

Bonjour,

I've entered an 8.5 mile race in June. I would like to finish it in 1 hour. So thats about 7 minute miles. I've got about 5 months to train for it.

I'm currently running just over 8 minute miles over about a 4 mile distance.

Do you think i've got time to get down to 7 minute miles in 5 months or am I over-stretching things a little?

I've done very little running over the last couple of months. I'm planning on doing a mixture of long distance, speed work, tempo run, intervals and hill sprints.

If anyone has any tried and tested methods that aren't mentioned above could you let me know?

Gracias,
  2. Lead Poison1981

PS - I only have time to run 3 times a week at the moment
  3. RMCWill

RMCWill New Member

You will easily get there. I got down to 6 min miles, for up to or maybe longer than, 50 mins. In the same number of months.
  4. Lead Poison1981

Friggin hell! Fair play mate.
  5. Dillz

Dillz Royal Marines Commando

That is more than achivable! you could get it down to 6min miles in that time.

Just run as fast as you can each time you go for a run. All ways try and beat your time no matter what. Works for me.
  6. josepheli

josepheli Member

But be careful not to overdo it and don't forget rest days. Otherwise there's a good chance that you get injured (most commonly shin splints).
  7. Strick

Strick Active Member

Was just about to mention this.

Easily doable though.
  8. Red Bull

Red Bull New Member

What sort of training programs do you guys use in order to achieve progression like that?
  9. Strick

Strick Active Member

Just train hard. I'll be the first to admit I'm not great at pushing myself as hard as I should when training by myself, but I do okay. Mixture of long distances, shorter distances, sprints, cycling, circuits and swimming should do it. Oh and get yourself a good core strength going. I myself have never run consistent 7 minute miles anything over 5 miles, but I'm sure I could achieve 8.5 miles by June if I trained for that. I've never been one for long distance but I've got a 20 miler coming up at the end of next month so the distances are going up, although that's being tackled at a fairly steady pace. Not out to break any records on that one. Funnily enough, I was contemplating between 6 or 8 miles tomorrow. Think I'll go for the 8 after seeing this thread.

When I first started training for RM, I was running 4.5 miles in about 40 minutes, that's just under 9.00 minute miles the whole way. Couple months later, I did the same route in just under 31.30. I was doing intervals, circuits, 3 to 4 milers, and swimming for training.

I let my cardio slip right off the rails after I failed PRMC, but have got it back on track again with two months of proper cardio. Mainly just running and sprints but also cycling and a circuit or two a week. Back up to 7.00 minute miles over 5 miles and this week I cracked a 10 miler in 73.19 (7.20 minute miles) which means I would of hit 8 miles in 58.40. In reality, it was probably a bit more than this as I upped the speed at 8 miles but it was definitely within 60 minutes.

Anyway, I seem to be rambling now and kind of gone off on a tangent, so I'll sign off here.