Plan on running through shin splints for the next month..

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Sawyer, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Sawyer

Sawyer Royal Marines Commando

So after a lot of reading around on the internet and on here, i have self diagnosed myself with Posterior Medial Stress Syndrome.
    Rest seems to be the best remedy, however my PRMC is fast approaching, 14th of July is my date.

At the moment, my shins are not painful, not in the slightest. However as time goes on the sensation in my shins is becoming more noticeable. I would currently describe it as an ache, nothing more, nothing to slow me down on my runs anyway. Since it is in the very early stages of shin splints i am strongly considering training through them for the next month, hopefully smashing my PRMC, then resting them properly for a good 2 months before RT if needs be.

In attempts to prevent/ delay/ or stop any pain from developing altogether i have done a few things.
    Firstly bought some new trainers the other day, i had my running analysed and bought some shoes that catered for over pronating.
    Secondly- concrete and tarmac running has stopped, only grass and a nice soft astroturf from now on to lessen the shock. Also I will only be running on flat surfaces, as all my previous concrete routes were very hilly.
    I am icing my shins a few times a day, and have began taping them up before runs. I also am doing more stretching, and strength exercises for my lower leg muscles. I'm interested in purchasing a "foam roller" to help massage the muscles myself, and am also going to start taking anti inflammatories (sp).

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I would like to hear your input on whether this is a ridiculous thing to be doing or will i be fine just bombing on for another month until my PRMC, and then resting? Does anyone have any other tips for preventing my shins getting any worse and has anyone been in my situation before? How long did it take until your "ache" progressed into actual pain. Any replies and personal experiences will be much appreciated lads!:rock:

Sawyer.
  2. Rob 1984

Rob 1984 New Member

alright matey,

I have just put my application on hold due to shin splints untill i have seen the doctor and hopefully a podiatrist. My shin splints started about 2 months ago and have got worse as i chose to try and train through them. I think what you are suggesting makes sense (not recommending it though) but surely if you pass the PRMC then your training should increase to get ready for RT. My shin pain was eased by taking lots of Ibuprofen and using tubular bandage on my shins, but as soon as i ran the pain would come back.
  3. ChrisM

ChrisM New Member

Hi mate,

I think what your doing makes sense, just don't over do it as the last thing you want is a full blown injury this close to prmc.

I'm on the same boat, started to get a bit of pain in my right shin last week (due to over training) and now it hurts quite badly when I run. I have prmc on the 23rd June and all i can think of is to run on softer ground, start using ice before and after running and to stock up on Ibuprofen and painkillers. If this doesn't work may have to put it back a couple of weeks:sad2:.

good luck bud
  4. SatanSmiling

SatanSmiling New Member

Dude, I have just been diagnosed with stress fractures, and I thought for ages that it was shin splints (a tibial stress syndrome). This was mostly due to doctors misleading me, but that's beside the point.
    Make sure you get the right diagnosis with a bone scan, MRI and xray before making any decisions. I thought my condition could be cured with surgery, so I would train till it hurt too much. But now it seems what I should have done is absolutely zero impact activity. So make sure you know exactly what you have before proceeding.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Resigned Staff Member

The advice is very simple:

Get it professionally diagnosed & treated.

Anyone considering joining with what they believe maybe shin splints is wasting a lot of time, money & effort by considering joining with a known & untreated injury because they will simply be medically discharged.
  6. Sawyer

Thanks for replying lads. Your right, ill get myself in for an appointment with my doctor. ** got my pre-PRMC breifing tomorrow so ill ask for a bit of advice from them aswell. Hope you lads that had shin splints have found a way to resolve your problem aswell, good luck!:shakehands:
  7. MR2_Dave

MR2_Dave New Member

Hey lads, how do you know if you have shin splints is it really obvious? Other day at they gym on the treadmill i had 2 stop running because of pain on the lower part of my shins, but this morning i went for a run across woodland and i was ok :S
  8. AdmiralAwesome

AdmiralAwesome Active Member

Only worry about it if it is persistent.

If you went to the GP with every twinge and occasional pain you get, you'd drive yourself mental. Don't worry about it.
  9. JohnMcGeachy

JohnMcGeachy New Member

ok so with shin splints and with stress fractures, if you want to keep on running, lesson the occurance and get rid of them for good the key is to STRETCH! i cant emphasise this enough, i have experianced both and to get rid of them yes rest help but isnt qlways practical.

Stretch your calves religiously, 2 or 3 times a day for a few minutes each time, do it every day!! this will reduce the pressure or your shins dramatically and reduce the pain. Also spend alot of time on your hamstrings, quads, glutes and tibialis. Again every day. If you have poor flexability and tight calves, you are in trouble, stress fracture galore!! plus it will limit your run times dramatically.

Also consider getting a physio/sports massage and have your calves stripped!! this will hurt like hell but help alot!! but make sure you give yourself ample time to recover before going for PRMC or RT

Keep up the good work though mate!! if you want any more help with it gimme a PM and ill see what i can do!!
  10. SimonA1

SimonA1 New Member

Just adding my 2c on the whole shin splints topic, i started running again at the start of the year to get myself fit for the marines and picked up shin splints in both legs :( Just wanted to mention that I fancy other men today, might just be a phase though. Happened after about 2 months in and at first i wanted to train through them, just like anyone i guess i didnt want my hard earned limited fitness to be wasted.

Eventually i saw sence to rest - no running whatsoever, massage the affected area, ice, stretch, strengthening exercises, proper warm ups and cool downs after exercise.

Happy to say after 2 weeks they had gone and i was back to running shin splint free. I'm sure it varies from person to person with the recovery rate and how bad they get, however i hope it gives some people optimism that they can go completely.
  11. hoofin

hoofin Commando Officer - Moderator Staff Member

JohnMcGeachy;138743

Rubbish advice I am afraid. Stretching will help with some forms of shin pain, but to suggest that stretching will get rid of stress fractures is wrong.
  12. JohnMcGeachy

JohnMcGeachy New Member

Hardly rubbish advice. Firstly the person was not entirely sure it was shin splints. Also i am not saying stretching alone is a miracle cure, just that it will lesson the pain considerably, especially if he has very tight calves and hamstrings. Stretching the tibalias is also going to help him. If it was severe shin splints this would hardly be my only advice. As it turns out the advice has helped, and not just in this case so it cant be complete rubbish.
  13. Sawyer

Thanks lads, any input is helpful. Definately wont hurt me to stretch some more anyway haha. Ive been putting all the advice into practise, and they havent got any worse, although they still linger until i finally give myself some rest i imagine!
  14. Rossi

Rossi Royal Marines Commando

May have to pull my application as I have developed pain in my lower right calf. Annoys me to an unbelievealbe level when I have been chasing this since 2007! :mad:
  15. hoofin

hoofin Commando Officer - Moderator Staff Member

I am afraid it is rubbish advice. Stretching does have a role in certain causes of shin pain, but he needs to have a professional diagnosis. To suggest stretching for "Shin Splints" is frankly wrong and can make some people worse.

He needs to get a diagnosis and then treat accordingly.