£200 cash for RT

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what items the £200 cash is for?

Trips to Dutchies :D

You’ll need to buy extra bits of kit. You’ll be given a list by the training team for items you need to pick up. Nothing to worry about, although at the time the items may seem random and bizarre, especially in the early days of RT.

If you’re thinking of picking them up beforehand just bare in mind you want to stay the grey man. A lad in my RT rocked up with his own ironing board which drew some attention. Saying that the NAAFI ones are pretty flimsy and expensive.

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Definitely take your own ironing board. The ones sold at Spar on camp (the 'NAAFI') are £25 and totally gash. For the same amount you can get a decent one from Tesco/Argos etc. Everyone who brought their own ironing boards got a chuck up from our DL when we arrived.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Definitely take your own ironing board. The ones sold at Spar on camp (the 'NAAFI') are £25 and totally gash. For the same amount you can get a decent one from Tesco/Argos etc. Everyone who brought their own ironing boards got a chuck up from our DL when we arrived.

I can second that. Anyone who didn’t - by the end of week 2 had gone trough at least two irons as the boards were breaking or they just got threaders and launched their iron across the block :D.

Definitely purchase one even if it means checking it in at the airport.

Clumsy

Reaction score
Bring your own ironing board and 4 key padlocks. Our DL couldn't understand why they are not on the kitlist.

On the first Saturday you'll go into Exeter to buy items for the field. I spent £70 and that's including some sexy contact gloves I never got to use haha. Trust me though mate, you'll need 200. Troop photos alone you could end up spending 100 on depending on how many you want. Meals in Exeter, crap from the Naafi, fags, beer, strip clubs... It all adds up.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bought an ironing board from Argos today for RT £17 hoping it’s better than the ones down there might give it a whirl tomorrow see how it is.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Bought an ironing board from Argos today for RT £17 hoping it’s better than the ones down there might give it a whirl tomorrow see how it is.

Give it more than a "whirl". It will be your 'besty', whatever that actually is. :confused:

In the unlikely event that your ironing board fails your consumer rights with Argos (formerly known as Green Shield Stamps) are likely to be better than with some Neanderthal NAAFI employee. Best of luck. Get stuck in. :)

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Now that truly is a good idea!! Learning your way round an ironing board and iron, could mean more sleep for you. And I guarantee you that an extra 10 mins sleep in foundation will seem like you won the lottery.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine for exercise youll need waterproof bags. Ikea sell a neat small box for 2.50 with 50 ziplock bags each box has 2 sizes big enough for ecws they are real handy. I also nail varnished my keys and locks so when theres 4 mins to shower i look at the colour and im in definitely helps.
I imagine kit packing list is fairly similar pack you first aid field kit at home its then sealed and done

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine for exercise youll need waterproof bags. Ikea sell a neat small box for 2.50 with 50 ziplock bags each box has 2 sizes big enough for ecws they are real handy. I also nail varnished my keys and locks so when theres 4 mins to shower i look at the colour and I'm in definitely helps

I’ll have a look at the bags and for the locks I’ve got 4 locks with the same key so should be alright with that one!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Bring your own ironing board and 4 key padlocks. Our DL couldn't understand why they are not on the kitlist.
Perhaps @RMDO can investigate this.

The content of the joining letter and kitlist issued by AFCOs is under the "ownership" of the Commando Training Centre.

If the details or content need amending then the Commando Training Wing (CTW) need to talk to Captain Naval Recruiting (CNR) and update their letter.

To my mind, good quality steam irons & ironing boards are available free of charge through the Naval Stores system, so if insufficient service-sourced items aren't available for recruits, then they should arguably be provided in sufficient quantities. If they aren't and you need to buy stuff to do your job then you should be claiming an income tax refund via HMRC.

Equally if some recruits are smashing irons and/or ironing boards through frustration at their own inability to iron to the required standard, then the solution is fairly apparent.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi. Not to put a dampner on this but my nod spent a lot more than £200.00. He did have to wait 6 weeks for his first pay but just be aware you may need some extra funding to get you to pay day.
Fully concur.

A lot of people living at home with their parents are under the impression it costs nothing to live day to day - there's always a magic fridge at home that tops up automatically, meals often cost nothing and transport is often Mum or Dad's free taxi service.

When you live away from home EVERYTHING costs money and young recruits often forget that you work a month in hand, before getting paid. Those joining after about the 12th of the month may not receive their first pay to bank until the last working day of the following month.

For a young person £880 a month going into your bank sounds like a lot of money but rest assured, very, very few recruits have any money left at the end of the month.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It's a good idea for new Recruits to have a cash buffer to get through to pay day.
But that money should be invested in beer, cigarettes and having a good time in Exeter, not wasted on having to buy extra kit that should be issued by Her Majesty's Government on Day One of RT.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's a good idea for new Recruits to have a cash buffer to get through to pay day.
But that money should be invested in beer, cigarettes and having a good time in Exeter, not wasted on having to buy extra kit that should be issued by Her Majesty's Government on Day One of RT.
No-one across the military gets any decent kit, from drill kit to no2s to field kit unless you are winky winky friendy friends with the SQMSs who are nearly all impossible to deal with and just makes lads and girls just buy their own kit because dealing with stores is just a hassle. While gucci daysacks, camelbaks, UBACs and all sorts of decent kit SIT in the stores instead of being issued out. At time of writing, RAC reservists are given max 3 pouches on their webbing for basic and it's expected that this is enough... for GCC?
Buying your own kit or borrowing the regs kit is the only way to do the job sadly.... while stores have loads of nice kit and never issue it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
No-one across the military gets any decent kit, from drill kit to no2s to field kit unless you are winky winky friendy friends with the SQMSs who are nearly all impossible to deal with and just makes lads and girls just buy their own kit because dealing with stores is just a hassle. While gucci daysacks, camelbaks, UBACs and all sorts of decent kit SIT in the stores instead of being issued out. At time of writing, RAC reservists are given max 3 pouches on their webbing for basic and it's expected that this is enough... for GCC?
Buying your own kit or borrowing the regs kit is the only way to do the job sadly.... while stores have loads of nice kit and never issue it.
Must admit, on the face of it, it sounds unjust but in my experience some people (not all) choose to buy their own kit because they see something they believe to be of superior quality to that issued or, in some cases, they believe it gives them an advantage.

The kit issued is supposedly fit for purpose and undergoes extensive trials and quality control tests to ensure it meets a specified standard. In the event it doesn't, there's a recognised deferect reporting system and indeed the same system is used to adjust scale of allowances issued.

Trouble is, many don't bother using the system to their advantage and prefer instead to pay through the nose for Gucci "must have" kit which they aren't scaled for.

Admittedly the supply chain procurement people make some howlers - the scandalousWMIK debacle being a case in point: https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/UK-SAS-Commander-Quits-Citing-Inadequate-Equipment-05141/

Similiarly people were buying their own lighweight body armour during the early days of the Afghan conflict due to insufficient supplies....then again, some would argue the lightweight kit was less effective.

In truth however, the supply chain will only supply the kit that is within the scale of allowance and if the scale is deemed incorrect then there is a recognised route to address the issue. If you raise the issue and nothing happens then there's a right to lodge a complaint.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

If a store has any “nice” kit and isn’t issuing it, it’s usually earmarked for operational deployments.

Three pouches for basic training allowing those about to deploy the best chance of having the kit required? Sounds about right to me.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Must admit, on the face of it, it sounds unjust but in my experience some people (not all) choose to buy their own kit because they see something they believe to be of superior quality to that issued or, in some cases, they believe it gives them an advantage.

The kit issued is supposedly fit for purpose and undergoes extensive trials and quality control tests to ensure it meets a specified standard. In the event it doesn't, there's a recognised deferect reporting system and indeed the same system is used to adjust scale of allowances issued.

Trouble is, many don't bother using the system to their advantage and prefer instead to pay through the nose for Gucci "must have" kit which they aren't scaled for.

Admittedly the supply chain procurement people make some howlers - the scandalousWMIK debacle being a case in point: https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/UK-SAS-Commander-Quits-Citing-Inadequate-Equipment-05141/

Similiarly people were buying their own lighweight body armour during the early days of the Afghan conflict due to insufficient supplies....then again, some would argue the lightweight kit was less effective.

In truth however, the supply chain will only supply the kit that is within the scale of allowance and if the scale is deemed incorrect then there is a recognised route to address the issue. If you raise the issue and nothing happens then there's a right to lodge a complaint.
Cheers for that Ninja
Full set of PLCE webbing isn't much to ask for is it though?
Also in light of water issues to SAS candidates that died and a big thing for me is- why aren't we issued camelbaks like operationally we were a few years ago while all the osprey and plce ones sit in MoD warehouses being unused just ending up on ebay and kit websites?

Also "nice kit" sitting in an ARC centre is no way being deployed, why can't the guys use it, bring it back when finished? That is what baffles me

New Threads