Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

1.5 Mile Run Pacing Tips

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by Grimey Arches, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    This maybe completely obvious to some but others may never of thought of it, I have started recently working out times and distances when running my 1.5 mile return or when doing intervals.

My best effort 1.5 Mile run time a few weeks ago was around 10:30-10-45 which I wasn't impressed by so I decided to try and take a different approach then just trying to run my fastest each time with no thought about pacing or how well my body was able to cope. I set out by aiming for a time of 10 minutes for a return, so started out running intervals but would work out the times needed if I was actually running 2.4km, so 1.2km I would aim for 5 minutes, 0.6km would be 2:30 minutes. Thinking that in theory if I run at that pace my body will become more efficient and so would my cardiovascular system, of course this was accompanied with a hill sprint and longer run sessions.

And it worked, my times started to drop and each time I adjusted my intervals for a better return time, you may think running 0.6km in 2:38 compared to 2:30 isn't that much of a difference but that equates to 32 seconds extra spread over 2.4km, that's all it takes to turn a pass in to a fail.

MOD Edit: Google Maps links removed for reasons of PERSEC.

Hope that makes sense, any questions fire away!

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2019
  2. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Don’t over think it, it’s 1.5 miles best effort.

I run my first mile around 6:20 then the last half in 3:20 like clockwork almost every time. Anytime I’ve tried to focus on my splits I’ve been slower, so just focus on breathing and making it to the end.

Train in between practice tests doing HIIT and see how you improve each week on your overall time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Grimey Arches

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Not overthinking, just trying to train smart, some people wont know how to pace themselves so will be gassed out in 3/4 of a mile or wont have the required fitness to maintain the pace. This way observing your times by splitting it down in 600 metres you will see where you start to fade and either adjust your training accordingly to improve.

In my opinion there is no point in doing best effort at 6 minutes mile pace and only hold that run for 3/4 of a mile if someone has never got a return under 10:30, adjust your pace to slightly faster each time you test yourself and no doubt your time will drop with adequate training elsewhere.

4. Grimey Arches

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Just a heads up, original post did state you can use google maps to measure your distances out and work out splits, just right click on where you start running and pick measure distance and continue to use left click for you to choose your running route.

Also gb mapometer does the same job but without satellite photos.

5. Devon_Bey90

Devon_Bey90 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Thats a top shout lad, just mapped markers on my usual route to break into 600m sections and they were exactly where my body 'Feels' it needs to step up a gear.

Thanks for your input buddy :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grimey Arches

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    If you haven't already have a session in place for intervals I highly recommend it, I'm currently doing 2 x 1.2k/0.8k/0.6k/0.4k all at faster pace then I'm used to, it's a killer but I feel like it's helped my return time drop considerably.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'm waiting for an app that projects a line in front of you when road running and sets the correct pace, a bit like Eliud Kipchoge used for that magnificent sub 2 hour marathon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    That was insane wasn’t it, 26 miles at a little over 4 minute 30 mile pace.