1.5 miler getting me down.....

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
this 1.5 miler is starting to really get me down, no matter HOW hard i try or how DEEP i dig i cant do it in the required time... its starting to get to me alot ands making me feel my lifetime dream is slipping out of my hands.. i have been training for almost 2 months! and i STILL cant do it! its driving me crazy! i need help guys.. i have my PFJT in 1 month and im not sure if i can make it.. i just got back from the gym and i ran at 13.2 untill i done 2.4 kmp( i cant remember the time) help me out guys ?? its starting to damage my comfidence.. i know this sounds like i dont have the right determination or commando state of mind BUT i do have it its all i have ever wanted and im going to let NOTHING stop me im determined 200%.

i have no problem with muscular as i can feel that is improving drastically i never was able to do a pull up when i started! not a single one! but now i can do atleast 3 no probs.

help me out guys, soon to be comrades.. i need it :(

-james

Mr T

Reaction score
Wack the tredmill on 14.6kmph and run at that and it should bring you in just under 10mins.

Is it just you cant keep the pace up?

Cheers

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i cant keep the pace i get to about 1.4 and i just cant go on my chest feels like its going to explode and i get real pissed and start throwing my weight around in the gym =/ yeah real embaressing. and i just think over and over in my head "GREEN BERET, GREEN BERET, GREEN BERET, GREEN BERET" which pushes me and extra .4 but then i have nothing else to give..

milky

Reaction score
hi mate, just keep it up, im still at least 6 months before i can apply and deffo have off days, but its all worth it, crack on and it'll happen.

ICTTech

Reaction score
i found doing laps of breast stroke in the pool helped me get my lungs in shape, gone from only doing one 20m length to doing like 50, 20m lengths nonstop after about 2 weeks , helped alot with running

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How many times have I told you on MSN?

Practice! At 16 you're still young and growing. I know you're eager, aren't we all? But if you're going to do it, do it right, even fi it means your application process will be delayed. It's better than failing all together and or injuring your still-growing muscles and bones.

Take your time, eat the right things, use google.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You got my PM like but.
16 your young your body will change rapidly should you train it. I am 19 and I class myself as young.

Keep at it, rest when rest is needed, mix thigns up, do sprints, go for long slow jogs, anything to get your lungs in shape, like I said on teh PM and has been said here, swimming. Same thing, do sprints, do some distance, see how it goes. You can make that time before you PJFT, just be sensible about what your doing, dont try and push yourself too hard everyday or you will injure yourself.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Try being old as *text deleted*... I'm 23. I find that interval training is helping a lot.

mr_kiwi1

Reaction score
800m sprints worked for getting my time down mate. I found a park nearby that was 800m around, so I would run several laps of that instead of a 1.5mile run. You do those with 100% effort then have a small rest then do another. This gets your body use to working at high speed but has sometime to recover, then just not the breaks down to smaller times, eventually you'll be able to jump on the treadmill, wack it up to 14.4 (slowest speed to get sub 10min) and crack it.

Also on the day I found you have a lot of adrenaline pumping around, I did mine in 9:16 but only because the treadmill wouldnt go faster which I only found out about 500m before the end and I am by no means a fast runner, in fact its my biggest weakness and I'm *text deleted* myself about the runs at PRMC (bleep/3mile)

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Im in the same boat mate..ive got 4 weeks to PRMC and just cant seem to improve as injuries keep slowing me down. :cry:

matthewwookie

Reaction score
Hello mate,

Stick with it, at 16 you've got plenty of time so you'll get there. I was rubbish at the mile and a half in 10 minutes before I did it I think I'd only managed it once!!

I know everyone is different, I found running longer distances helped my stamina loads which in turn helped out with my mile and a half. I'd do a 5 mile run, 3 mile run and some interval training each week and I got there!

Good luck mate

Matt

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Stale

Guys: We all go through stages where we feel we aren't making any gains. If this happens to you, just take a few days off from your fitness training. You'll find you come back more refreshed and more determined than before.

Best Regards

Steve

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya mate, to help with the 3 miler this is what I done. If youve got google earth on your computer then get it up and find your house on it. Then use the measuring tool on the top of the screen to mark out a route that measures 3 mile exactly starting at the front of your house and finishing at the front fo your house.
I done this ages ago and I rarely do any different route. My run is gradient and its 3 miles on the dot. I also used google earth to find out which part of my route was 1.5 mile so I could pick up the pace. And I also found out where the last 500m was so I could really go all out. When I first started doing this route it used to take me about half an hour. However on the 16th of January I went on a RMAD and I got 8.25 mins on the BFT. It really does work because thats a time I never thought I could have achieved.

Also when I was at RMAD some of the lads were only 16 and theyd taken the day off school to come. And Im not being funny but they seemed really unfit (obviously because of their age) They think P.E lessons and football at lunch time is enough. Obviously mate you know better and youve got this site to help you. Goodluck.

Thanks for reading :)

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanks guys your advice means alot to me im thinking about setting the treadmill at 15.2 running untill i cant no more then lower the speed to 14 then to 13 each day im going to run an extra .10 k and eventually should be able to run the whole thing at 15.2 :) will that work??

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like it. But why dont you run outside?

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
because the PJFT is on a treadmill and i want to be able to get my time right
i will run out side after i have passed PJFT

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
blocky said:
thanks guys your advice means alot to me im thinking about setting the treadmill at 15.2 running untill i cant no more then lower the speed to 14 then to 13 each day im going to run an extra .10 k and eventually should be able to run the whole thing at 15.2 :) will that work??

it does work mate.

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
Hi mate, I had trouble with my PJFT about 6 weeks ago. I was at 2.00K at 9.20 on the time and i spewed *text deleted* so i had to stop and failed :evil:
I Have been doing interval training, Going for aslong as i can go at a fast speed (15.5-16.5) then lower it to 14.2 or 13.2 then go fast again ect...
It Bumps up your Speed considerably mate. Youve got some good lads here who have lots of good advice, they have been helping me also *text deleted*

Dont let it get you down mate, its hard work but IT WILL HAPPEN! Give it some Hammer mate and you'll see :D

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
right so interval all i do is go at 13 then fast to 15 then forr 500m then back to 13 for about 15 mins?

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
GUYS :D :D i tried again today and all the way through i was thinking about me in kings squad and fighting in ganners and saving all my oppos yeah it might sound cheesy but i just kept cracking on and cracking on and thinking that i have 1000 taliban behind me and i did it in 10:36 seconds!! :D so happy with myself i never could of done that my previous time was about 13 mins and other times when i tried harder i had to stop :D

this is a real confidence boost for me as my dream has just come rushing back :D and now i KNOW I CAN MAKE IT :D

what dya think guys :D ?

thanks for all your help! :D

-james

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fine 30 miler Recruit Training (RT) Chat 50
S 9 miler origin help Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 17
Lurch 30 Miler Recruit Training (RT) Chat 37