1? Olympic bars?

S

stokey_14

Do these exist? Basically I?ve got a large amount of standard 1? plates that I use on a fixed barbell for all lifts.

However now my clean/pressing is growing and I?m starting to near the 100 Kg (including bar) mark it would really be a great help if I could locate a Oly bar. However I?d rather not fork out on a shed load of new oly plates.

If anyone knows of such an item it?d be a great help, I?m currently looking around Google but to no avail.

Stokey

mkelly

Reaction score
I don't think there is such a thing mate, 2inch are olympic weights and 1 inch are standard. Olympic bars are a good investment though especially as your lifts are getting quite heavy, I wouldn't trust a 1 inch bar with over a hundred kgs on it. There are however standard bars that go up to 7 feet in length and you would be able to fit more plates on these longer bars. Just be careful. It's not going to snap, but it can bend and causes an injury as the bar warps over time.

Als keep an eye out in the classifieds, you can usually get some olympic bars and plates pretty cheap second hand.

Use your olympic ones for your heavy lifts and your standard for lighter/isolation lifts.

S

stokey_14

I don't think there is such a thing mate, 2inch are olympic weights and 1 inch are standard. Olympic bars are a good investment though especially as your lifts are getting quite heavy, I wouldn't trust a 1 inch bar with over a hundred kgs on it. There are however standard bars that go up to 7 feet in length and you would be able to fit more plates on these longer bars. Just be careful. It's not going to snap, but it can bend and causes an injury as the bar warps over time.

Als keep an eye out in the classifieds, you can usually get some olympic bars and plates pretty cheap second hand.

Use your olympic ones for your heavy lifts and your standard for lighter/isolation lifts.

Yer shot in the dark really mate, the bar strength wasn?t my worry particularly having had up to 160 Kg worth of plates on it for deadlifts. Just the fact the bar doesn?t rotate in your hand when cleaning it causing undue stress on the wrists.

Certainly would like to get a Oly barbell and plates (wish I?d got them in the first place) but as I got my first lot of weights at 13 I wasn?t to have known any better but first on my list of to buys is a new bench/squat stand and bench.

I?ve spent far to many years cleaning weight up to do squats (forcing me to work in the higher rep ranges on squats) + my current bench is getting rather shaky. Had it for 5 years and it was second hand when I got it.

Ooo and the squat/bench stand combo would allow me to do some pressing out of a racked position which would be nice.

Stokey

mkelly

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, cleaning the barbell sucks.

My opinion is if its light enough to throw it over your head, then its not heavy enough to work your leg muscles.

I recently bought a squat rack and it was the best thing *text deleted** ever bought. I'm squatting so much more weight now and I'm not risking an injury. Makes a massive difference to leg strength when your lifting enough.

I wish I could get a barbell around 2-3 feet long, ideal for using at home. Never seen one though.

If your not having any problem with the weight on the bar, just the way it spins in the hand, maybe you could try putting something over the grip on it? like a film or something, maybe a very fine no grip tape or wearing a certain pair of gloves? Can't really think of anything that would work for sure but maybe you can.

S

stokey_14

My opinion is if its light enough to throw it over your head, then its not heavy enough to work your leg muscles.

Think i'll wait until i can afford a oly bar... hopefully wont be an issue.

As for the above statement, i have to disagree, sure maximal strength it hard to work but 60-70 Kgs + the bar is more than enough when used at high reps to work the legs.

a set of 20 rep squats will most definitely work your legs.

Stokey

mkelly

Reaction score
I suppose yes you are right when working at those higher reps. I should say I have spent most my time bodybuilding and working at around 6-10 heavy reps, so thats where I was coming from. Trying to clean almost 200kg is not easy or recommended!
A squat rack is still great when using lower weights though. Less chance of an injury, but not always neccessary if you can't afford such a luxury. Cleaning the weight will however make you stronger overall, just make sure your well warmed up first and do a few warm up sets.

I picked up an injury when squatting a few years ago, halfway up I felt my hamstring pull and I needed to bend my knees. If I'd had a squat rack at that moment I could have put it down without standing fully, however at the time I had to stand fully and throw it over my head making the injury so much worse. Also had a few shoulder problems with cleaning really heavy weights so maybe I'm just playing on the side of caution.