Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

1 Rifles- Later join Army Commando

Discussion in 'General Archives' started by Commando24., Nov 28, 2015.

1. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    are you
    are you in the infantry?

2. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Nope.
    If you want advise about the rifles give @m2013 a message.

3. Wingzero

Wingzero Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Sounds like you got cramps in your leg and didn't take enough salt in your food. We are warned to do so. Scrap the idea of applying for anything else to get your green lid. You are fit, you will be fitter next attempt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    mate you could be right actually, we were told to put a lot of salt in our meals!! Should have done that proper carb up!! I will defy do my 2nd attempt and i have up my training. Quick question do weighted vest really help??

5. Wingzero

Wingzero Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Commando24. I believe they help although I never touched them. I did super slow reps of push ups and pull ups until failure in 3-4 sets morning and night.(inconsistent with them but I definitely saw a difference) I imagine doing that with a weighted vest would lead to massive gains in time.
    You got it in the bag dude. You will pass.

6. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Something to bear in mind , If you go via the Army first with the intention to transfer at a later date , If you do transfer but fail at Lympstone for any reason , you will have no job , that's the risk you run as very unlikely the Army will just take you back ( I transferred and was told that straight up..it,s a one way ride that you have to pass.!!)..and a long winded way of getting into the marines...so i would get as prepared as you could be try for the Corps but if unsuccessful then maybe go for the Army ??

7. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    oh thanks for that info dude! I thought it be try out and then return to unit if you don't make it, thanks for this info. Have you got the green lid? what i failed on whats the bottom field after the assault course where we had to lunges, duck walks and etc...

8. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

*text deleted* mate, @The guide is a Royal Marines Commando so yes, he has the green lid!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I just think your just massively guttted and heck i would be too it doesnt sound easy. Lots fail and come back and pass. Look back, did you really use your time well to train? Was your training specific or intense enough? Really think here. In a few days you will feel better and you will see what you needed to change and will get better!

10. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Minor point - If you join the Rifles, you'll get a green hat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No.

Take it from me, I wanted to join the Marines, didn't feel confident so joined the Reserves(not RMR) to get "fit" and "experience" which resulted in losing 4 years of my life which could have been spent in the corps. Yea I got experience and a deployment under my belt, but my RM career took a hit for it and I missed out on a lot because of it.

You don't need "military experience" that's what RT is for. Dont waste time doing things you don't really want to do, if you want to go RM, then take hold of your testicles, man up, and crack on. That's the logical thing to do.

@Commando24. you have to realise that it's what the Army want, not what you want. It doesn't matter what you join and ask to go for the AACC, if the Army won't benefit, then you have no chance.
    The Army only need Artillery, Signallers, and Engineers to be Commando trained, they don't need infantrymen to be Commandos, that's what RM are for.
    And even then, the billets for AACC in the units are hard to come by, as it's a good draft and the only way you can get a posting is if lads leave.

It's a very long winded way of doing things and it isn't even a sure fire way of doing it.

You failed your PRMC, you took a knock to your confidence. Grab your balls, man up and get it cracked.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    thanks mate i guess your right, it did effect me mentally but will need tuck in and crack on like you say.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

And the French Foreign Legion.. :D haha

• Like Like x 1
  14. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

but you would still just be a 'hat'

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just to clarify any ambiguity on this thread and to re-iterate the factually correct bits:

The only way to become a Royal Marines Commando is to join as one.

Those joining the Army as an infantryman are unlikely to undertake AACC. Those in other Army trades who are lucky enough to be selected for AACC are simply RTU'd if they fail.

It is unlikely the Army would permit a transfer to the Royal Marines - most likely, they will make you leave after completing a minimum of 4 years & then the individual will start RM selection & training from scratch. Fail anything, you become jobless.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Couldn't have put it better myself. RT isn't so hard that you need previous military experience to get through it, only a very small minority have previous experience and even they have to unlearn and relearn things.

RT is designed you take you from civvie to trained rank, it's just a longer and harder process than regular infantry.

Oh, and as someone who also had trouble getting through the PRMC (and POC, for that matter), it really is just about learning from mistakes and cracking on.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks guys you are right! Failure is where we learn where screw up. Changed my trainine programme so will need to push it more!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

This is a very good point. Many possibly believe that previous military experience will somehow make Recruit Training—not only in the Royal Marines but elsewhere too—somehow easier.
    This can be something of a myth, possibly because higher standards will be expected by the Training Team and also because previous military training won't protect one from much of the stress and pressure of RT in the early days.

Aside from the obvious physical preparation, much better in my opinion to prepare for RT by developing black belt skills in dhobi and ironing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Spot on the money. I still had to throw everything I had into training, and I had to get rid of bad habits. I don't feel at all like I had any sort of "advantage".

It's hard to be the grey man when during drill you keep raising your knee to 90 degrees and driving your heel into the deck. Swiftly followed by hoping the incoming pace stick doesn't hit you in the swede.
    It's much better to go in as a blank canvas so they can shape you the way they need you.

And as soon as the training team find out you have previous service, your just a lot more attractive to them for extra beastings...

Recruit training is that. Training.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Commando24.

Commando24. Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, got my head out ass *text deleted*.

One little question, can someone give me all the crawls that is done on the bottom field so i can start training for all of them :)