Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Featured 12 Week pre-PRMC/POC Training Programme (Male & Females)

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 11, 2017.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Issued by CTCRM:

"The 12 week training programme is appropriate for males and females to conduct and use as a guide prior to attending a Potential Officer (POC) or Royal Marine Course (PRMC). The programme is designed for an individual to assess their personal fitness ability and begin the programme at the appropriate level, broken down into 3 building blocks, each consisting of 4 weeks. Each block is replicated, progressively increasing the difficulty of each circuit, run and exercise. The level to begin will depend on the person’s fitness ability, ensuring progressive physical gains are achieved, developing muscular adaptation and the cardiovascular system.

All potential candidates are advised to conduct the training programme and to ensure they are confident of successfully passing the physical requirements of the POC or PRMC before attending.

Fitness Assessments and Markers

During the programme there are fitness markers to evaluate your fitness levels, the Royal Marines Fitness Assessment RMFA) and a 3 mile Run, which is an element of the Royal Marines Basic Fitness Test (RMBFT). These are to confirm sufficient progression has been achieved or not. If achieved, the programme is to be continued, if not, regression to a previous week is required to ensure the required gains are made in order to achieve success.

Olympic Lifts

Olympic weight lifting develops synchronization, balance, flexibility, coordination and strength, all of which are important elements of all physical training. Maximal strength training can have a positive effect on your performance, but also have a negative effect on movement speed and the ability of a muscle to display explosive effort. Recruiting more muscle fibres with the use of high speed training will also increase strength gains, this programme will noticeably develop strength, but an emphasis on strength endurance is focused on.

After each building block (4 weeks) has been completed, recalculate your 1 rep max, this will ensure continuous progress is achieved. Always seek advice how to correctly execute the required lifts.

Warm Up and Cool Down

Time spent warming up and cooling down will improve your level of performance and accelerate the recovery process required before and after training. You are encouraged to ensure the warm up and the cool down is conducted before and after every training session. Dynamic stretches are advised during the warm up and static stretches are to be conducted during the cool down
    ."

Programme attached below:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  2. PRMO-0918

PRMO-0918 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
  3. Banshee

Banshee Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What does the run mean? Says 2 miles 11mm
    Then 3 miles 10 mm
    Minute mile? Seems a bit slow

4. pofwales24

pofwales24 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Yeah it's minute miles, but in the right column it says to go faster if you're more comfortable

• Like Like x 1
  5. pofwales24

pofwales24 Member

App Stage:
    Yeah it's just a guide though I suppose. It also seems very heavy on circuits and weight-lifting with comparatively little cardio.
    I'd much rather devise my own program to focus on where I need to improve to be honest

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It is an interesting one because we say "don't do it" to other ranks but "crack on" to potential officers. Why the difference? No idea, but I'm firmly of the belief that if one is in danger of increasing the risk of injury, then one should do it whilst being paid a wage by the people requiring you to do it so that if you do get injured, you still get paid a wage.

Possibly the logic is that females may need a longer period of conditioning to build up strength, I'll ask the question next week.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brother

Brother New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I have seen this programme before it's accessible from the main navy website hidden somewhere in the commando are you prepared but.
    My question is where it says evaluate against the RMBFT criteria to decide about progression what are the numbers to hit to move on to the next block and what constitutes repeating the week of the previous block?
    I am about to start cracking it stuff for PRMC in 6 weeks and trying to put a plan together and want to look at this and or a modified Arny routine

8. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Anyone thought about how females are supposed to keep that strength through weeks of training without being able to go into the gym which isn't allowed in tri service when still a recruit at training estlishments?
    Does anyone male or female have the recuperation quick enough to hit gym during training?
    Got a tea here just going to sit back have a sip and it's none of my business

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Come again?

Recruits spend plenty of time in the gym, so much so that few will want to spend time outside their working day going to the gym in addition to regular scheduled training serials.

10. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    So the emphasis is on building strength before RT- how is this strength meant to be maintained in a much more stressful environment and without the equipment if I have understood there is a weights routine?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

My guess is the training routine incorporates this aspect, however I'm sure one of our trained ranks or recruits can give a definitive response on this. I hope.

12. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Just my thoughts.

The current training syllabus Is geared towards male recruits, above 65kg and within the required BMI measurements, they've passed the PJFT, and those who pass PRMC have proved they have the required levels of fitness to "BEGIN" recuit training!

So the Royal Marines in their recruitment methods! Create a baseline candidate for RT. A lot of lads look the same, build wise, with a few on the extreme edges of the spectrum. It's horses for courses here tho. A male 6ft 15 stone muscle bosun may have a 10:00 BFT, but will probably be able to yomp a house!! The other end of the spectrum is the 65kg racing snake with a sub 8 min BFT 20 pullups who handles his own body very well, but finds the load carrying a challenge!!

What science tells about females, is that they inherently weaker, and slower!

I personally think it's going to be totally impossible to continue with a generic male/female training program, because I don't think the current syllabus is viable to get females through RT! The female body responds in a totally different way to that of males!

Rather than address this issue and spend the vast amounts of money creating a bespoke female training schedule! The Army implements a dual female/male standard to offset the differences! Fine by me, because up until now, lives and operational effectiveness hadn't been an issue.

How much time and effort will it take to enable a 55kg female to carry her 75kg male oppo and 21lbs and a weapon over 200m in under 90 seconds? How long will it take to get a female fit and able to be a GPMG gunner in an 8 man section, to carry 100lbs plus 1000 link into battle?

Equality and diversity is all good by me, I fully support the inclusion of females into the armed forces, but we must accept that some things are more important! Things like the ability to casevac an oppo in times of need! The ability to cover ground quickly and effectively! With kit! The ability to "close with, and kill the enemy"

A massive headache awaits for the GCC role! How do we physically enable females to operate alongside males and expect both genders to possess the same level of physical ability! When in every other part of life it isn't expected.

"The mission of the Infantry soldier is to close with, and kill the enemy"

"The mission of the Infantry soldier is to close with, and kill the enemy"

Edit! I think it's perfectly achievable for females to pass recuit training, whilst achieving the current standard! However I don't think it's possible without having a bespoke female specific syllabus.

• Like Like x 16
  13. DSR50

DSR50 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Going to follow this through any changes you would make for a male specifically completing this like taking out the weighted runs or are they still a useful thing to do. Also, I don't have a pull-up bar at home and my local park doesn't have anything like that either I have to be at the gym to do pull-ups. Do those pull-up bars you put up in the door frame really work? I see too many videos of people falling off of them and never have bought one. about to go on the 2-mile run although that's fairly simple.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  14. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    You can get the ones that hook over the door frame, which if you have a stable door frame will be good!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DSR50

DSR50 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ahhhh ok will look into it I think there stable. You enjoying the 80% humidity today?

16. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Was brilliant on my run, yourself ?

• Like Like x 2
  17. DSR50

DSR50 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeh very good! good day for out of gym stuff.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. pofwales24

pofwales24 Member

App Stage:
    I got one from argos and in my decrepit little student house it's been fine!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

2 miles at 11 minute mile pace in the first week? I genuinely don't think I could "run" that slow...

• Like Like x 1
  20. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

Yeah, you're right. As far as I can tell that's only one week though. I'd worry that it won't be enough?