15 and waiting to apply

joffy

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jamie and I am 15 years old. Being from a working class family isn’t the easiest of tasks and school isn’t the best place for me to carry on being. Although I’m doing moderately well, I constantly struggle to learn something useful and I seriously doubt being able to be something in the outside world as a civilian.

My late great grandad was an officer in WW1 and 2, my grandad would tell me stories as a kid about him and what he experienced. It was inspiring. I grew up being a very patriotic bloke and as a kid I always wanted to be that hard as nails army soldier who would jump from explosions and kill all the bad guys (obviously I know it’s nothing like that).

As I got older I grew up and forgot about all that. Everything was boring and everyday was like those ads you get at 5 in the morning that just keep replaying themselves. I’ve been trying to plan out my future for so long and everything I’ve thought of just ends in boring 9-5 job bs and I’m not that type of lad. I listened to a song and it ends with a speech talking about, not caring about how much you earn and do what you love doing.

Long story short, I want to be something, I want serve my country, I want to feel my national pride, I want to make brothers, I want to be a brother, I to want eliminate danger in order to save lives, I want to do what it takes, I want to push myself, I want discipline, I want to belong and I want to be a Royal Marine.

Sorry for the lengthy “Introduction” I’m able to apply in a little less than 6 months and I’m looking forward to it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about the Royal Marines eg. training, before you join, when you join etc. Or literally tell me anything. That would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jamie and I am 15 years old.

Welcome. This forum is a source of a wealth of information. Take time to trawl through the topics. The search box is a useful tool. And feel free to ask away. No such thing as a daft question—well, almost—here. :)

Rather than giving advice—nobody but you knows your circumstances—I'll throw in some observations for consideration.

Many on this forum reached the age of fifteen and understandably were more than eager to immediately bin school or college. After all, ten years of compulsory education can take its toll. But it's worth pausing and having a good think about where you are now; what your goal is; and how best to achieve it.

You now have a career to focus on. Consider adjusting your mindset from school student to adult. Research and think about the opportunities available to you at school. Make the system work for you. Begin conducting yourself with the self discipline that you will need in Recruit Training. Others will notice the change and treat you accordingly.

Examination passes in numeracy and literacy will be a sound basis for your chosen career. You might not need them to enlist but you are likely to need them as your career develops, so grab the opportunity now while you can rather than doing so in your own time in, say, three years' time.

Schools often have wider opportunities available such as The Duke of Edinburgh's Award. This offers lots of opportunities to develop leadership skills. If your school doesn't participate, be proactive and ask about how you can help it to do so.

Consider having a serious chat with your head of year at school about your career aspirations and ask how the school can help you to achieve it.

I'll confess that at your age I was a nightmare for the staff at my school. I'm not suggesting that you're the same—you're brighter than that—but if you do have an attitude problem, remember that change begins from within!

At age fifteen you have the opportunity to build a sound foundation for your chosen career. The world really is your lobster.

Here endeth the essay. Best of luck.

joffy

Reaction score
This is just what I needed. Although there’s a lot more to be done, your reply has help out a lot and I couldn’t thank you enough.

Cheers!

YellowBelly98

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jamie and I am 15 years old. Being from a working class family isn’t the easiest of tasks and school isn’t the best place for me to carry on being. Although I’m doing moderately well, I constantly struggle to learn something useful and I seriously doubt being able to be something in the outside world as a civilian.

Welcome mate!

Firstly in terms of training there's lots of good stuff on this forum involving training plans (Arny's is good - https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/prmc-training-plan-by-arny01.85153/) as well as other sources such as YouTube etc. Essentially practise makes perfect along with dedication.

Secondly in terms of school etc I'd say think long-term if you can. The RM will provide you with a fantastic career full of lots of different experiences, however education will ultimately always be looked at. Like Chelonian said above perhaps consider speaking to a careers advisor or someone. I'd personally recommend (I say this to every young person considering a military career) staying at school for sixth form and achieving some A-Levels before cracking on with the military. Again it's completely up to you, if you are fully set on the marines then crack on, however just make sure you look at every route you can take after GCSE's before you make that final decision.

Good luck!