151.5cm in feet - Minimum Height & Min/Max Weight

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Minimum height for entry into the Royal Marines is 151.5 cms or 4 Feet, 11.65 inches.

Minimum weight, regardless of height, is 65 kilograms

BMI should ideally be between 17-27 if aged 17 or under
    BMI should ideally be between 18-25 if aged over 18

For Males with a BMI 28 -32 (> than 28 there is a 50% greater risk of NFA Med through lower limb injury during Recruit Training) if you fail this, the waist measurement at navel level has to be below 94 cm.

2. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Does BMI play a part in that too?

3. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You have to be under 20bmi i think, but slightly more for guys who are very muscular

• Like Like x 1
  4. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks, I'm just asking because I'm fairly tall but I'm underweight by over 10Kg so my BMI is fairly low.

Any tips on gaining weight? It would really be appreciated.

5. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    How tall mate?
    I don't think it matters how low your BMI is but you should aim to be 70kg at least!

You are not the only one though mate, I was 55kg 2 years ago and i have reached 73kg as of now, i have not grown in height (6'0") and i know all the weight is muscle mass as my waist and abs are the same as 2 years back and i look alot bigger. However my metabolism is soo fast but you have to remember gaining weight for ecto's is a marathon not a sprint!

I found eating every 2-3 hours and having like 5-7meals a day as well as using myfitnesspal to make sure i hit a 500 calorific surplus over my BMR is key.
    If you really do have a fast metabolism do NOT fuss over what you eat, just eat anything and hit them macros.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Oh start lifting is you don'talready so the excess calories turns into muscle, get a partner and lift heavy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Brilliant that's a great help!! Thank you.

I'm relieved to know there are more ectomorphs out there though who want this. And noshing all day is definitely going to need to happen if I want to gain anything, right now I'm the weight I should have been 4 or 5 years ago!!

Currently I'm around 53Kg and the same as you, just about 6'1". And as much as I hate it and just want it NOW, I get that its going to take a long time and a lot of work.

Thanks a lot, that really helps :D

8. Ninja_Stoker

Tip- hold onto something heavy if it's windy in the meantime.:D

Good luck!

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  9. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hahaha Instead of lifting the weight itll be keeping me on the spot!! :D

Sound advice =P

10. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No problem mate that's what the forum is for! There are actually more ectomorphs than you think who persue this career, naturally we are usually good runners and are built for it. Go hard with the eating, training & sleep and you'll be there in no time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sound advice!!

And yeah I get what you mean about being built for running, its a lot easier for me to run than do anything else, having lead a sedentary lifestyle up until very recently (which I'm kicking myself for) I got into he running fairly fast.

After running one lap of the field (not even) and feeling like hell itself was trying to get out my throat of course!!

12. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Haha we are all different though even if we have the same body types, as you said you had a very sedentary lifestyle. Do any sports run in your family, never know you could genetically be good at some!

13. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That's true!!

Well I wouldn't say enough to be genically good!! But My family has a military history going back generations and my family have always been doing martial arts :D Otherwise there haven't been much sports really. We are all Mad though!! =P

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Olly_PT

Olly_PT New Member

@Ninja_Stoker do you have any idea how harshly they enforce being in the healthy BMI range? Because I'm 5 foot 8 inches and currently weigh in at 89kg, but thats lean muscle mass and my body fat percentage is actually 13% maybe lower. So BMI says I'm overweight when clearly to look at me I'm athletic and fit as a fiddle.

15. glos94

glos94 Active Member

If you are muscular you can go up to a BMI of 28. I managed to get down to 27.999999999999999999999999999999999999999 to pass the medical !

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

The BMI scale, for all its faults is the standard applied for entry I'm afraid.

Anyone starting Recruit Training with a BMI at 28 or more is highly unlikely to successfully complete it at 28. It's a statistically proven fact.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So below BMI 28 is recommended?

18. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    @DBenn01 I believe it is 25 for average (non-muscular) joes

• Like Like x 2
  19. Olly_PT

Olly_PT New Member

Cheers lads, I'm literally right on the top end of the bloody threshold!
    But I'll be upping the regularity of my cardio and focusing more on my stamina and endurance a bit before I reach this stage so I should see a reduction in my current overall weight. Hopefully I'll make it by a whisker!

20. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you