Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

183 Kings Troop pass out

Discussion in 'Pass Out' started by Charles001, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Charles001

Charles001 Resigned

Attending Kings Troop pass out - what a wonderful day!

I steeled myself not to blubber, but like it or not there were moments when my eyes filled up and I had to wipe away a tear. From the minute we left our home until we entered the main gates we must have said a hundred times over we can't believe he had made it and that we were on our way/here.

We are so proud of our son who passed his PRMC at 16, started RT aged 17 and passed out aged 18. He had a few stumbling blocks along the way with a couple of trips to hospital and a 5/6 month stint in Hunter Company due to an injury which had the potential to see him medically discharged, but through his determination, perseverance and commitment to fulfil his dream he won out in the end.

I'm not going to write a full step by step diary as the format is the same for everyone and there are already some excellent accounts, but you might find the following information useful:

Numbers allowed to attend will depend on the size of the troop passing out - your RM will let know if there are restrictions as it doesn't mention this in your invitation letter. 183 troop had 25 people pass out and so there were no restrictions. There were a handful of large groups ranging from 16 to 13 to 10, but most were groups of around 4/6/8.

We stayed at The Saint George and Dragon in Clyst St George and had dinner there the evening before - excellent value for money hotel and restaurant and if you book through Booking.com you don't have to pay in advance and can cancel 24 hours before without penalties if your dates change. It's a two minute drive from the hotel to CTC. There are lots of room options so if you are a large family group you can probably all get a room in the same hotel.

We had someone in our party with a disability so when returning the invitation letter you are given the opportunity to request car access. We expected to drop off, drive back out and park in the main car park across the road, but they gave us a pass to park the car on camp very close to where all the action happens which was extremely helpful.

Nearly everyone had arrived by 8.30am.
    We left around 3.30pm and by this point most families had already left (there were just two family groups left).

Go to the toilet before you enter Falklands hall as you will be in there for 1.5 hours. They don't mind if you need to leave for a toilet break but in doing so you might miss something.

Your RM will rehearse their pass out so ask him which is his position and that way you can choose your seating relative to where he will be lined up. We did that for both Falklands Hall and the parade square (he was in the same position for both) and on both occasions we had a clear view of him - we also knew where to look so didn't have to waste time searching all their faces trying to spot him. It also helps to pre warn everyone in our party so you don't have to deal with panicked grandparents unable to spot him.

On the parade square we were provided with blankets to either sit on or to keep the chill off our knees/legs. Remember to switch your phones off - someone didn't and even chatted on their phone during the VIP guests speech. The inspection takes quite a while so again it might be advantageous to nip to the loo before heading to the square.

When your RM joins you (a buffet meat and salad lunch) they are allowed to show you around camp and if you would like to visit bottom field (my God that climbing wall is high) then its worth taking some suitable shoes as its very muddy (especially needed for ladies in heels).

Your RM will pre order a set of photographs and families pay/collect these during lunch. You can also pre order a DVD of their pass out. I knew this would happen so had plenty of cash on me (you can't pay with your card), but some families didn't realise and had to go on the hunt for a cash machine. We paid around £72 for the photos and the DVD (the DVD costs £25.00).

Some of the lad's were given pass out gifts by their families but we decided to present our son's gift to him privately at an extended family celebration dinner the following evening.

Everyone was extremely helpful and kind, so if something goes wrong with your arrangements then don't panic or stress as you will be helped.

Relax and enjoy one of the proudest day's of your life.

Congratulations to everyone who passed out in troop 183 - you are all remarkable men and your drill was outstanding!

• Like Like x 12
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Excellent post, thank you for taking the time for those that follow.

A hearty congratulations!

3. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Very well done to Mne" Charlie",and the rest of 183 Troop,enjoy your career young man.Hope he rang the Bell outside Hunter..

• Like Like x 2
  4. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

Well done Royal!

Glad you enjoyed the day @Charles001, you (and your Royal of course!) certainly went through the mill the get there!

So pleased for you!

:D

• Like Like x 2
  5. Louise

Louise Active Member

Delighted for you and him. Glad it was a good day.

• Like Like x 2
  6. W2014

W2014 Royal Marines Commando

Another royal is born. Thankyou for the diary. I can't imagine the roller coaster you have been through.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

When did 'e get a hoofing (hoofin!) rating?

8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Welcome to the Club!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  9. Charles001

Charles001 Resigned

Thanks everyone. What a weekend it was - I'm beyond shattered, relieved and happy!

Also, from a parents prospective, I would like to say how thankful I am for all the support I've received during my time on this forum. Without you guys there to answer my questions and offer your support and advice I would have been so lost.

Cheers to you all!

• Like Like x 3
  10. ajportland

ajportland Well-Known Member

Really, really informative post. Thank you My lad is in RT now and the time seems to be flying, maybe not for him, but it is for me. Just wish I didn't cry everytime I read about pass outs. Just always feel so proud of the effort the lads put in and the great family support. What a stellar organisation.

• Like Like x 3
  11. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

12. ajportland

ajportland Well-Known Member

Week 9.Gym test this week!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bootra

Bootra Royal Marines Commando

Congratulations to your son, and welcome to the family!
    It's always great to see the support the lads get from family and loved ones. Having recently been away again, I know that, even after nearly two and a half decades, my old mum was still supporting me back home, and keeping the family on the straight and narrow.
    My son is now committed to joining the military, and so in a few short years it looks like it will be my turn to sit at home and worry! Hopefully I can show him the same support that is shown to the lads on here!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I've added you to the parent & partner usergroup.