Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

185 Kings Squad Pass Out.

Discussion in 'Pass Out' started by Mr D, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Sorry its been a few days coming but in view of the really first class accounts of previous Pass Outs I didn't know where to start,I think as Charlie said previously there are many things that are common with all Pass outs from a casual observers point of view, it`s the personnel taking part that differs so at some point it may get a bit repetitive for that I apologize in advance.

After a 5 hr journey we rocked up at the Premier Inn Exeter St Davids at T time on Thursday,we picked this hotel because it is directly opposite Exeter St Davids station which as most of you will know is the station that serves CTC,and as our son was planning on eating with us that evening seemed perfect,also we got it on an offer of £35/night for a twin/double and because we were staying over until Saturday and I was picking up the bill for 4 rooms for 2 nights it seemed doubly perfect !!(I did try and get the group to rough camp it on top field at CTC not solely save a few quid of course ;) but to enter into the spirit of things though to be honest it was maybe a bit cold for the lads 70 year old grandparents so I didn't push that plan too much)-banghead--banghead-

I found it surprising that the lad was coming out that night but he told me virtually all the troop were planning on a few hours away to dine with their families that evening,so after a surprisingly tasty meal and a few beers he got the last train back to CTC to face a night of cleaning ironing and the prospect of an hour or so's kip befor a 5-30 am inspection and we...............well we had a few more beers or at least me and his younger brother did:D.

Friday 9th Jan- The big day,the day that 35 amazing young men had worked towards for varying lengths of time from 8/9 months to +2 years for some just at Lympstone, God only knows and it is a bit scary what physical and mental high's and low's these guys had been through,but with the help of each other and no doubt their families they had done it,coped with the adversities encountered and come out the other end almost unscathed, they were now top dog at CTC(if only for a short time) all the hour's of press ups,sit ups,3 milers etc they did for PRMC, etc now seemed worth it a million times over,that I hope is a lesson for all of you now not only in training,but those at the start of the application, don't give in,fight through the frustrations of having a bad week,or being tmu,injured or maybe backtrooped, keep going one day at a time and Kings Squad awaits.

We arrived at CTC about 8-30 ish and picked up our visitor badge at the guard house,the Cpl asked who was your son to which I replied Rct Bloggs,to which he replied with a smile you mean Mne Bloggs,he's one of mine,so i got to have a few mins chatting to my lads section Cpl which was cool.So into the River Exe rooms(think that's what they are called) for coffee and biscuits waiting for all the families to arrive.
    We moved into the Falklands Hall about 9-15 ish,a good tip by Charlie is to find out off your man his position in the line up then you can sit in the best spot to see him,I however did not get to follow this gem as we only managed to get into the Hall late,so another good tip from Charlie is get there early and sit near the doors of the Exe rooms so you are first into the Falkland Hall and have the pick the seats.
    The company Sgt Major did the introductions of the Training team the officers and Vip's and the Troop mentors who got a massive ovation, The Company CO then took up the mantle and as it was his last day at CTC the "boss" had bestowed upon him the honour of presenting the Green Berets,we were shown a video of training that was made by the "commando school" film crew,then he asked the audience a few questions and told a few jokes usually at the expense of the other services,whilst this was going on the Troop were forming up behind the curtains,then he moved to one side and said "Ladies and gentlemen 185 The Kings Squad" and the curtains opened, If I live until I am 100 I will never forget the sight that greeted us and the sheer pride and emotion that just hits you full on like a runaway steam train,the whole room just erupted into applause,cheers whistles and everything in between,it really was amazing and I envy those who have it to come (lads this is the point where your families get a bit of relief from the pressures they go through while you are in training and guys believe me those pressures and stresses are real,so I would ask you to spare a thought for those at home while your in training and ring or text your loved ones as often as possible).
    As said in previous accounts the guys were called out one by one by the Sgt Major,and a funny little anecdote about them was given,they were then presented with the Green Berets and returned to the formation,gradually the troops heads turned from Blue to Green and didn't they just look the dogs nads !!,
    The troop were then marched back to the grots to change into their Blues for the parade and inspection by the VIP's (there was some local council leader and a Col from 3 Commando Brigade).
    Unfortunately although it was a perfect sunny day the drill display and inspections had to take place in the Drill shed as there was some sort of safety issue with the seating on the parade square,the display was awesome so much so the Col from 3 commando congratulated the DL on a display that was a "credit to youself and Kings Squad"he addressed the Troop congratulating them but reminding them that this was just the start if their journey and to expect to be doing "longer yomps with more weight when at their units".
    Shortly after came the order that everyone know was coming but still had the hankies out again..........
    ......." Royal Marines to your duties....Quick March.... again a very brief moment in time that has massive significance in a young Royals life and I'll bet not one of them or any of those privileged to be witness to it,will ever forget, Usual routine marched out the shed behind the band who as expected were amazing, up the main drag out the gate for the last time as a recruit and back into camp as a trained rank back down the main road to applause from not only families but from other recruits,and their training teams.They then disappeared out of sight back to the drill shed,then to the grots where they had a few,well quite a few glasses of port with the training team.
    We then went back into the River Exe rooms where there was a first class buffet laid on,the bar was open and there was the opportunity to buy the photographs taken during King Squad week and order the DVD of the days events.
    The troop rejoined us after about an hour still in their blues but much more relaxed now possible due to the effects of the port they had consumed in the grots,my son told me that the TT had been informed that the Lt Col at CTC had watched the attack on the fort that the troop carried out at the end of Final Ex and commented that it was as good as one carried out by trained ranks at units,probably exaggerated but it even more increased the feel good factor, about an hour or so later the lads got a nod and my son said "right I've *text deleted* go and have a private drink with the mentors" they filed into the back bar and the door shut firmly behind them, after about 40 mins or so they came back out and you could see whatever was said behind that door meant a great deal to the lads of 185 Troop, some were quite visibly emotional,my lads mother asked what was said but to be honest got a short reply,I guess/hope whatever it was and I wont ever ask, will stick with these young men for life.
    I'm starting to ramble now so will close with just a few observations one thing that will stay with me was just prior to leaving my lad and 3 others were at the bar talking,well listening to the Troop OC,who like them was adorned in his Blues c/w sword etc and pint pot in his hand,he was telling them some dits about his time in training and they were like hanging on to his every word,he really was just like one of the boys,

As mentioned earlier we traveled home on Saturday,had a surprise party on Sat Evening,where the beer was free flowing again,the l Aad was up for 7 on Sunday sorting his kit out as he had to be at 42 by 20-00,so you can imagine how chaotic our house was on Sunday morning,

Regards drafts I think it was pretty much an even split,with 9 going off to 43 commando,8 (my son included) going to 42 commando and the rest 40 and 45 commando not quite sure of the split there bout 50/50.Some guys got until Wednesday off,then went to Leconsfield to do their driving quals,All the guys that went to Leccy were from differing units but the one common thing was that none of them had any form of driving licence(other than provisional in some cases) so not sure if that is the criteria to get you to Yorkshire.

So thats it,I'm sure I've missed loads out so feel free to ask if you have any questions,I haven't spoke to my lad yet but will post an up-date when I do.To the guys on here both in training and at whatever stage of selection I wish you the very best of luck,never forget it is doable,hard but doable and the rewards are worth the effort,so when it's freezing or Pi$$ng down outside get your trainers on,and get out there and picture yourselves in King Squad,in your Blues being handed your Green lid in front of your loved ones,........not as cold or wet as you thought eh !!

Lastly congratulations to all in 185 Troop very well done and good luck in you career's

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. ChapStick

ChapStick Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Abosolutly fantastic! Well done to you and your soon. And I wish you the best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Think 187 Troop have been having a bit of remedial

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

Congratulations mate, all the best for your son's future!

Will you stick around the forum?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pingedsole

Pingedsole Well-Known Member

Fantastic write up Mr D. Very well done to your son and all in 185. I was filling up just reading this so god only knows what I will be like when 198 pass out. Long way a way but families day on Friday so I will get a little taste then. Once again great job.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Charles001

Charles001 Resigned

@Mr D, it was worth waiting for! For those who don't know the P&P section on the forum have been hounding this poor dad for an account of the day and what an enjoyable, helpful and inspirational account it is :D

Hearty congratulations to young Mr D. We know what it takes to achieve a green lid and we all have nothing but respect for you. I wish you the best of careers and after hearing some tit bits of your journey to get to this point, I've no doubt you will continue to make your family very proud and have an exciting future ahead of you.

Mr D, thank you sharing, supporting, advising and encouraging so many of us on the forum. You have been a fab forum buddy to me personally and I've loved sharing our son's RT journeys together through all the highs and lows and culminating in a happy ending.

:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 3
  7. R1chB1ch

R1chB1ch Active Member

Yep reduced me to tears too, although I'm an emotional wreck anyway as the boy has been out on Woodbury Common since Monday in this cold, snowy weather.

Very well done to your son @Mr D , I hope you stay on the forum and continue to share your sons journey.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Banshee

Banshee Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Congrats Mr D :) hope you enjoyed the day

• Like Like x 1
  9. "Sandy"

"Sandy" Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Loved it mate

• Like Like x 1
  10. 195mum

195mum Active Member

Congratulations to your son @Mr D - I feel quite choked up after reading that wonderful account of your son's pass out parade, thank you for sharing it with us. I hope you carry on giving advice on the forum as some of our son's, boyfriends still have a long way to go!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@Xerath ,going nowhere mate,and if I'm honest your good self is/are ? one of the many lads who I personally want to see reach the finish line,just stick by your sig,work hard and you will be fine of that I have no doubt after reading your contributions to the forum over my time on here.

@Pingedsole ,Thanks P,again due to the amazing P&P section,I really feel part, albeit a very small part of your lads journey,enjoy families day and try to savor every moment of your time at CTC on Friday. Kings Squad is an awesome period of training for the lads (quote my lad) and Steve Preece keeps telling lads in training to look at KS and let them be your motivation,that one day will be me !!.

@R1chB1ch @ChapStick , Thanks for the kind words, he will be back from Marshalls star tomorrow and after a hot shower and a good feed will forget about the cold,focus now on the next milestone wk 9 gym pass out,no doubt with you two on his case......:eek: whoops sorry supporting him you will be back at Lympstone come the summer:)

@Charles001 -552 posts and every single one of them of some benefit to whom it was directed,you are one of the peeps that are the backbone of this great forum and I too have enjoyed sharing the lads journey,and the invaluable advice that you have given me, mate this part of our sons journey may be over,but its only the start , I feel we especially you have a great deal more to offer the guys that follow so I hope you aint goin anywhere soon.. Thanks C x;)

• Like Like x 6
  12. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@195mum , bloody ell,Straight point will be a bit fresh this week,going nowhere mum,will be here when your lad passes out. France soon for him pls give him my very best wishes.

@"Sandy" Keep at it young man,dont get injured before PRMC,will be watching you as per Xerath, good luck mate, it is doable,so go do it...

• Like Like x 1
  13. ChapStick

ChapStick Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    @Mr D oh I will be on his case! Ha going down this weekend to meet him in town as he's had a bad week and clearly needs my foot up his bum ha. Cannot wait 6 months time and were be at Kings squad :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Miller06

Miller06 Well-Known Member

oh @Mr D what a wonderful day you must've had and what a fantastic account of it (read an re-read it), I can only imagine the pride you must be feeling in your son (and yourselves for getting him through it!!), what an amazing young man he must be. Good luck to him in his future career as a Marine and thanks to you for the continued support.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@Miller06 as said your turn next,cap comforter on Monday,then into the Commando phase,it will fly by,then Kings Squad...... hasn't it got a lovely ring to it.

16. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Mr D. Good effort to your lad and to you for your time given to this forum NFTR. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Welcome to the Club!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  18. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you both.
    I'm glad to see you're sticking around aswell! As you contribute to this forum alot!:)
    Again, massive congratulations.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

Great report @Mr D!

Like many others - brought tears to the eyes, especially for me remembering my own not so long ago experience.

Ditto all the others - your input on this forum has been invaluable and will hopefully continue to be so.

All the best for your lad in his future career!

Mumz

PS - Leccy - my lad had his motorbike license but only provisional for car and he got sent there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

At my son's passout some poor troop must have been 'punished' as stomped into the sand/mud was a very large 180! Forgot to take a photo though and sadly was washed away by the tide before I remembered!

• Like Like x 2