Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

194 Kings Squad Pass 0ut 12 June 2015

Discussion in 'Pass Out' started by ajportland, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ajportland

ajportland Well-Known Member

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in reporting; took me 2 days to come down from Pass Out 'high', and had purposely booked leave for the following week to recover from 'training'! Yes, the day is just amazing. I am not going to go through it step by step as @Miller06's gives such a fantastic overview, but I will give you a flavour and some hints and tips.

Firstly, do,do get the DVD, available to order on the day, and it turned up yesterday, and yes I ripped it open, and stopped everything for an immediate viewing. It is in sections; covering pass out rehearsal, the presentation of green berets, and the parade itself. Whilst I know everyone was taking their own personal video footage, as we were all in the stands, they are obviously distance shots. The DVD includes up close footage of the troop inspection, with the dignatories talking to the individual troop members, and some lovely still shots at the end. It's £25 but I think invaluable, especially if like me there are various family and friends who couldn't attend. I intend to spend the summer boring them to death with it; a version of holiday snaps syndrome! I also think my lad will find it very interesting to experience it looking in, so to speak.

One really moving part, was when one of the troop, whose younger brother is RM and another is in training, was presented with his father's green beret(he had recently died). So poignant and the the audience raised the roof in applause.

At no point did I feel that anyone was rushed about, considering there was mass movement from room, to hall, to parade ground and back. There were all ages and abilities and plenty of them but everyone was treated so kindly. After all the formal bits the lunch and drinks with the lads and training team was just so nice and relaxed.

Perhaps one of the funniest parts of the day, and nothing to do with pass out was at the end of the afternoon, when the lads went back to their accommodation to clear out before they left for the weekend. As most of them were going home with their guests there was some urgency to 'get on the road', so in my lad's block there was a steady stream of guests traipsing out with their RM's kit, grannies with boxes, Dads with ironing boards, one with a line of shoes and boots on top, and best of all, girlfriend, sleek black dress, killer heels, with red bucket in one hand and boots in the other. Now that's what I call the RM family!

As everyone says this is a once in a life time experience not just for us but the RMs. My lad was made up that 3 of his school mates came, and more so that they were suited and booted(I nearly didn't recognise them) ! Plus, his aunt came and just so happened that pass out was the anniversary of her father's death, my lad's grandfather whom he had never met. He had been colonel in Royal Engineers in WWII, and she suddenly realised having listened to the presentations just how proud he would of been, so she was very touched by it all.
    As for my daughter and granddaughter they bought up the RM shop, teddy bear,t-shirts, wrist bands, so think they were pretty impressed too.

The lads did us proud, but who ever thought they wouldn't.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

Great account of your day @ajportland!

Brought tears to my eyes remembering my lad's passout (gutted I didn't get a mench in your write up though!) ;)

Cannot believe one of the troop already has an RM brother and another brewing!

Thank you for that!

:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. VPMTRMC

VPMTRMC Member

Was an emotional day, I'm still coming to terms with it all

Sewing on flashes for my royal made me even more prouder if that's possible

I can't actually watch the whole of the dvd all the way through yet! I get far too emotional :(

Thank you @ajportland for bringing back some fantastic memories :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Cracking read, treasure the day forever my friend..:)

• Like Like x 2
  5. ajportland

ajportland Well-Known Member

Yes, dvd is cracking, so uplifting. Have watched it twice so far...must be time for another viewing this weekend!

• Like Like x 4