1st Lieutenant

S

Sotiris

Sir,

I always thought there was a distinct different between a 1st Lieutenant and 2nd Lieutenant? However, the rank structure doesn't seem to outline any:

C:\Users\Sotiris\Desktop\RMC\TSP 9 - Rank Structure of the UK Regular Sources.mht

And come to think of it I don't think I've ever heard of a reference being made towards a 1st Lieutenant in the Commandos.

Do you go straight from 2nd Lieutenant to Captain? Or is there an intermediate step?

Thank you.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well there is 2nd Lieutenant which is the first commissioned rank I believe, and Lieutenant, though I prefer to think of it as 1st. In terms of roles they will have the same level of responsibility (troop commander), they just differ in terms of pay and seniority, and this can depend on holding the relevant qualifications.

I hope that's right.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you click on the Commando Officer tab under Badges of Rank, all becomes clearer. As stated it's called Lieutenant rather than 1st Lieutenant.

A First Lieutenant in Naval parlance (ooh, posh word) is usually the Second in Command on a Destroyer/Frigate or smaller vessel and is a title of office rather than rank. They are often referred to as the "Jimmy" derived from "Jimmy the One" or more correctly: "Number One". If you call a RM Lieutenant "Jimmy" not only would you be technically incorrect, you'd probably have a squashed nose when you regained consciousness.