2018 fitness goals

James_SC

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 16 year old who is looking to join the Royal Marines upon finishing the 2 years; well, 1.5 years of school (Been wrestling between RM and PARA, but I enjoy swimming and have a better idea of what the RM do compared to the PARAs). I am out of shape as I have merely been loosing weight as I have lost 2 stones over the last 2 years, but I fail in endurance and strength so I have to build up on that.

Anyway, long story short, I am no longer fat (I'm skinny fat; no visible fat w/ a t-shirt, but an overhanging stomach and fat legs). I believe this won't last so long as I am eating better foods, snacking less and do physical activity a lot more than I have in the past.

This is where I currently stand w/ my fitness:

1.5 miles: 11.20 seconds; this is very poor running time and I'm sorting out a 10 km running plan and I will focus on speed once I have the endurance check box ticked, but at the moment my lung capacity is very low and that will require a lot of work.

Pull-Ups: I am putting up my own pull up bar in my home gym, so I will aim for by the end of the year to be able to do 15-20 strict form, but right now I cannot do to many w/ strict form, but having the bar would allow me to work on it every other day.

Push-Ups: When it comes to the proper form and using the bleep test, I lack the ability to follow the bleep test after around 15 I drop out, because I cannot keep up. I can on my own to 30 proper form, but I need to work on my back and arms some more so I can keep up with the bleeps. My goal is to at the end of the year perform using the certified bleep test 100.

Sit-Ups: I can preform 50 full formed reps, but I will be doing core workouts (or full body w/ core exercises) throughout the year so I will be able to improve there. I hope to be able to do over 100, but I will have a set goal of 100.

Although my goals seem high, I believe that I am able to reach it.
In a week currently I do about 8 hours of Jujitsu, always followed by a workout in my gym 30-90 mins depending on how intensive my Jujitsu class was. I do not do a lot of running now, but I will start a training program.
I also plan to swim more in the summer, but lately, I know how it sounds, I am self conscious about how I look as I do not enjoy having the stomach I have now. So hopefully by the end of the winter I have a flat stomach. I am aware that I shouldn't concern myself with these sort of things, but I would feel more comfortable this way, in addition this would be a decent checkpoint to set myself.

If anyone could recommend a fitness plan for doing a 10 km run, that would be great, or an app would be great too (even if you have to pay).

Kind Regards,

James SC

P.S.: If and when I do meet these standards, I will spend the following year maxing out my fitness to humanly possible. Perhaps marathon training or maybe work on speed to get an impressive time on my 1.5 miler.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The sky is certainly the limit! Well done on shedding the 2 stone as well.

Do you have access to a rowing machine?

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well it depends what you define as cheap...

Just that they are a great way to increase lung capacity and is low impact on the joints, it’s a great way to train

springer

Reaction score
Fantastic always good to have goals, keep us updated with how its going!

Clumsy

Reaction score
Arny's plan. You'll find it in the stickies section. It's most likely the best plan you can use to train for PRMC. Obviously don't start on full volume. But when your able to to do the full volume, do it for 8-12 weeks.

Don't make the mistake myself and many before me have made. Your training for the marines, not the Olympics. Try to condition yourself. Dont train in the gym, train outside. Especially now in the winter. When I'm allowed to re join, I'll be waking up at 4 and doing phys then. Sounds stupid, but that's often when your up in RT. I'd also do load carries, wearing boots to toughen up my feet. But most importantly follow Arnys plan, to the letter. You'll realise why it's so important and accurate when your there.

Clumsy

Reaction score
And rowing. Squeeze in a good 5-10K instead of one of the long runs. That's probably the only thing I would change

New Threads