Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

205 Troop. Kings Squad. Pass out 15-01-2016

Discussion in 'Pass Out' started by Orsen62, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Orsen62

Orsen62 Well-Known Member

Well, what a day that was!

Those of you who have gone before me, know it’s almost impossible to put into words what you have just witnessed. Those who follow on after us will find out.

50 weeks since him leaving home, 3 months in Hunter, but here we were, the day had finally arrived.

From the start, everything went perfect for us, we travelled down to Exmouth on Wednesday from Newcastle. Apart from a bit of rain that night, the weather was spot on.

Thursday, we took @Caversham and @MomsRUs advice and walked up the river past CTC for lunch in Topsham. A bit windswept, but fine. In Newcastle it snowed and the place apparently ground to a halt. Family coming down by train all missed their connections and had to rearrange, not getting to us until after 7pm that night.

Friday. Taxi to CTC got us there at 7:50. Marching down to the River Exe club, chatting with the Hunter recruit was surreal for me, knowing this was the 3rd and probably the last time I would be at CTC. 28 years ago as a RMR recruit. Then family’s day at the end of February, and now Kings Squad. I know I was marching, as when the Hunter lad and I got to the door, I looked behind me and his Mam and the rest of the family were a hundred yards back!! This time I managed not to lose my visitor pass as I did at families day!!

Plenty of time to get a cuppa and do a bit of shopping. Then into Falklands Hall. Very emotional. When the curtain went back, the place erupted. Lots of whooping and shouting. Great dits about all the lads as they came forward to collect their Green Lids. Our lad got a big laugh when described as “not being able to open a fridge door without getting sunburn” He does have a pale complexion!
    Seeing them all in Lovats and Green lids was a wonderful sight.

After all the individual presentations they were off to change into blues and we got to see some of the troop video. The mud run looked “interesting” to say the least. Then it was off up to the Parade square, get settled in and let the drill commence.

Everyone says it, but I’ll say it again. Best military band in the world! I know we are biased, but so what! 205 troop smashed the drill. Well done to the lads and the DL. When the volley of shots went off, quite a few in the audience jumped a bit! Excellent speech from the Brigadier, emphasising, Yes it’s a celebration day for the families, but more importantly, this is a day for the lads. Never to be forgotten. The video camera suddenly started shaking a bit when we heard “Royal Marines, To your duties, Quick March” It must have been the cold making me and the wife shake!!

Then it was down to the road to watch them march back through the gates as the latest batch of extraordinary young men who have earned the right to be called Royal Marines. Great spot by @Pingedsole for the phot of them marching back into camp. It was good to see a lot of other recruits and trained ranks from CTC lining the road to applaud them in.

Back into the River Exe club for drinks and buffet. When the lads came in with their Blues and Green Berets, the place went up again, cheering and clapping. We got the biggest hug from our lad. There must have been a cold wind blowing from somewhere, as my eyes were watering again! Plenty more phots, more than a few drinks and generally a fab time for the rest of the afternoon. Had a very good, honest conversation with our lads section Cpl. When he looks you in the eye and says your lad will be ok and do well, then you know, he will be ok and do well. Just watching the lads interacting with the TT, you can see the respect they have for them. One funny, was the look of absolute shock on all their faces when the lady behind the bar called “last orders” This caused much panic buying of beer and port, and that was just the families who were still there.

We left after 6pm after clearing his grot, absolutely emotionally drained and a lot lighter in the pocket after buying phots and frames and DVD’s. All well worth the money. Make sure you take advantage of purchasing phots and DVD of day. You can’t go back later!!

All the men, especially our son looked so fine and were well deserving of such a wonderful day, we will savour it forever and are very blessed to be part of a magnificent extended family.

Back to Exmouth, our own little presentation in the Hotel bar, that bloody cold wind started again affecting our eyes! I cannot recommend enough, Tony from LaserCarve for his sterling and professional service in providing us with some of our pass-out gifts. We were more than surprised when our Son presented us with an engraved box of Port, very similar to the one we presented to him!! Also, cannot go without mentioning Pooley Sword. We bought him a Commando Dagger with name, number and date engraved. It is stunning and he was speechless when he opened it. Cold wind again! After a meal and a few more drinks, our Marine retired rather gracefully when the emotion of the day caught up with us all. We all enjoyed our time with our lad, none more than me and his Mam and it was with great sadness when we dropped him at the gates of CTC on Sunday. However, we didn’t have the anxiety we normally have, wondering what delights the next week in training will bring, as he is now a fully-fledged Royal Marine.

What an experience. Only advice I would give is to savour every single moment as it goes over far too quick. Oh! And take lots of hankies and waterproof mascara as that cold wind gets us all, and Ladies, the same goes for you as well!!!
    :)

• Winner Winner x 31
    • Like Like x 20
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 7
  2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

40 Commando as well? My favourite Unit. Had some great times with them, albeit in Singapore! ;););)

Alan

• Like Like x 4
  3. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

Thank you @Orsen62!

A great write up and memories flooded back!

Congratulations!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    brilliant write up!! whenever I read the kings squad write up I always get teary eyed and goose pimples!

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Banshee

Banshee Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Great post well done to your son

• Like Like x 4
  6. MomsRUs

MomsRUs Gin Lover

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    That wind has really got me @Orsen62 !
    What a truly brilliant write up sounds as though you had the most fantastic day. What was the view point you referred to regarding the gates?
    I bet you cannot believe the RT is over - it becomes such an integral part of our day to day life. Good luck to your lad x

• Like Like x 6
  7. Smash

Smash Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Awesome read. Well done to your lad!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Top write-up @Orsen62 , the culmination of a long journey with plenty of ups and downs for your son and certainly those left at home. Hearty congratulations and many thanks for your contributions to this website.

For the uninitiated, the Parents and Partners on here have established a top-class sub-forum which all parents and partners, who may browse this site, are cordially invited to join for mutual support and advice.

Rest assured if you are a parent or partner of a potential/recruit and are having mixed feelings about it all, this section really is uplifting and best of all? Those that have trodden the path ahead of you are there every step of the way .

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  9. Orsen62

Orsen62 Well-Known Member

Totally agree about the forum Ninja. When times were tough, the support you receive from other P&P's is fantastic. Hopefully, me n' Mrs Orsen can pass on our experiences and help people following us.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. ajportland

ajportland Well-Known Member

@Orsen62 Echoing everyone else's comments; spine tingling and very blurry eyed read. Isn't it just hoofin' being part of the RM family.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Marlis

Marlis Member

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed write up, and congratulations to all of you.

• Like Like x 4
  12. 214 Mom

214 Mom Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    What a wonderful day @Orsen62 - I wasn't there and I feel how proud you are ! So very very pleased for you all

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. Miller06

Miller06 Well-Known Member

Fabulous write up @Orsen62 brought back so many memories.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

Thanks for taking the time to construct a really detailed and heart-warming pass out thread! Many congratulations to your son and let's hope we see many more from the forum in the coming future!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. blacky

blacky Member

Great story. Thanks for your time.

Out of interest why was he going back to CTC?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pez1962

Pez1962 Well-Known Member

The wind must have been whistling through my living room too. Having been there not so many weeks ago believe me the buzz and tingle you get thinking about the day and what your lad has achieved doesn't leave you any time soon. Is he off driving soon at Lecky?

• Like Like x 5
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

For those yet to enter into recruit training I think post #1 helps illustrate the enormous pride your family gain from seeing you achieve your goal, the respect you earn and the feeling of self worth you will achieve.

There will be times when you'll forget about what your goal is when you are faced with the here and now of training and the peaks and troughs you have to negotiate.

Try to remember stuff like this and hopefully it'll help put the trials and tribulations of Recruit Training into perspective.

• Like Like x 13
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Impressive. A thoughtful gesture that recognizes the support given by parents, partners and significant others. An excellent account Orsen62. Thanks.

Additionally, perhaps there should be a special medal minted for awarding to washing machines and tumble driers at home in recognition of the massive work loads they are often subjected to over long weekends. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. MomsRUs

MomsRUs Gin Lover

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Great post and sentiment, I think there should be a medal for the parents and partners instead, however could I opt for an expensive tub of anti wrinkle cream rather then a medal, it's playing havoc with my youthful looks! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Wrinkles? You're too young to have wrinkles! ;);)

Alan

• Like Like x 1