Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

214 Troop Passout!

Discussion in 'Pass Out' started by MumtoRM, Jun 16, 2016.

1. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

The very best of luck to troop 214 tomorrow on your well deserved Passout!

@MomsRUs, @TorDad and @Grizleybear66, looking forward to the write up!

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Hope you all have a brilliant day. You have earned it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  4. MomsRUs

MomsRUs Gin Lover

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Well, what a truly wonderful day and one of the proudest moments of our lives, the pageantry makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

We arrived and checked in at Kings Squad car park for about 7.45 as we had my mom who couldn't walk very far we were able to drive into camp and leave the car along side the Gymnasium.

Tea and coffee served in the families room, the training team also mingled amongst us which was nice apparently the troop were all nervous about drill, the rehearsal hadn't gone well.:(

At 9.15 we were ushered into Falklands hall and the formalities started at 09.30. I am not going to go into the detail because I think it would spoil it but suffice to say you will be whooping and cheering. It is difficult to take photos, videos and cry all at the same time!! It's one of those occasions when you have to keep pinching yourself.
    They look incredibly smart in their lovetts and when the black lid is exchanged for the green lid and your son or partner rejoins his troop he does so as a Royal Marines Commando it is a moment that will you never forget and will treasure for years to come - there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

Whilst the lads go off and change into their blues we watched the troop video which was just fantastic - it really gives you a feel about what they have gone through and just why it is viewed as the toughest military training in the world.

You then leave the hall feeling about 3 foot taller and with a smile that is permanently etched upon your face! You will either move to the parade ground or the shed dependent on the weather. Big tip here- find out from your lad where he is positioned for the drill and sit accordingly.

There is a ceremonial stand (normally where the video guy is) so you know that will be the centre point. If you are sat in the wrong position you may not see him, also they all look the bloody same so it is difficult to pin point them.

As the RM band marches in and strikes up 'a life on the ocean wave' every single hair on the back of my neck stood up! The sound of boots on gravel and then the sight of those magnificent blue uniforms with white caps is just a wonderful sight and fills you with such pride!

This was just the most fantastic drill display some were set against music others had just the sounds of the arm and rifle movements. It will keep you mesmerised, my tip would be not to worry about where your lad is as they start to move about, just enjoy the display you can work it out when you get the video.

We recorded this and so pleased we did as we have watched it countless times and bored everyone rigid with it! Formal presentations were made and the command came of 'Marines to your duties' I thought I would explode with pride as they march out to the sounds of the RM band. You will then move from the parade square onto the road that runs through camp as the troop March back in.

I don't think I will ever forget that feeling as the RM band leads the troop of Royal Marines Commandos back into camp and we are all lined up clapping them in.

This won't happen very often but the troop were brought to a standstill and one marine was asked to step forward, he placed his rifle on the floor took one step forward and dropped to his knee and proposed to his girlfriend, so another box of tissues later, we all drew breath and they continued with their march past and we made our way into the hall for lunch!

As you enter the hall on the left there is a table where the formal photos your son/partner has ordered will be held and you can also pay for the video here. You will need cash for this. Whilst I was waiting for the lads to return I also purchased the Kings Squad pass out frame which was available in the shop at £45 (pay by card here).
    The lads came back in about 30 mins later and we cheered again and that was the third box of tissues as you finally get to hug ' your Royal'

We took some lovely photos out on the balcony by the flags. To be honest the next hour was just a photo fest as we grabbed all the photos of him in his green lid!

Later in the day we walked to the Tarzan Assualt course and we saw 215 troop in the sheds zeroing their rifles (I think that's what he said).

We stayed chatting in the hall and I have to say the Training Team and other Marines were so welcoming and I was amazed at just how quickly they take on a different role with the lads, once they have that green lid they are part of the RM family and suddenly the conversations were on an equal level.

We left around 4 ish with a Royal on the back seat - big massive grin on my face and a bag full of soggy tissues!

We had the most fantastic weekend, we partied rather to hard on the Friday and into the wee hours of the morning.

So top tips:
    - sit close to the door when you first go in so when you are called through to the Falklands hall you can sit close to the front. All the lads have to come to the middle to collect their beret so try and go central.
    - for the drill find out where your lad is in the drill and sit accordingly
    - take cash and purchase videos and photos when you go back into the hall whilst you wait for your lad, it saves time.
    - we took flat shoes to change into to walk over to the assault course

A truely remarkable weekend with Friday being the proudest day of my entire life!

We took 13 people to the pass out and each one shed a tear, even rufty tufty men were so moved by the day! All I kept hearing throughout was how remarkable it was and how it was a once in a life time opportunity to be part of something so special.

So here I am after having starting this journey on the 12th October 2015, an anxious mom not knowing what awaited him or me, having absolutely no idea of what it meant to be a RM.
    I have ended the journey with an incredible amount of respect for every single person who enters RM training as they know what lies ahead and the pain they will be going through. For those lads who endure the programme and make it through to the coveted green beret, I hold them all in the highest esteem and I am in awe of every single one, the strength, resilience and courage they display is unbelievable!

So 32 weeks down, training complete, goal achieved.

To all those parents and partners who are still on their journey, take each day as it comes and deal with the day, the weeks will pass themselves. Believe in them, it is tough but achievable and see any setback as an opportunity to grow.

Troop 214 did have 22 nods it now has 22 Royal Marines Commandos - I wish you all a long, rewarding and safe career.

A very proud mom of a 'Royal'

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  5. MomsRUs

MomsRUs Gin Lover

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Just moved my post from Kings Squad thread to Pass Out as requested for ease of reference for all the newbies who wonder whether it's achievable - it is and worth every bit of blood, sweat and tears! Good luck!

• Like Like x 4