246 Troop.

Rover

Reaction score
By the Commandant of CTCRM.

@ColMikeTanner

The very best part of my job. Awarding Green Berets on completion of the 30 miler. Some tired faces out there-but proud to a man.

NB today’s 30 miler was done in South Devon, with Dartmoor experiencing =30C windchill and roads impassable for Ambulances.

Hoofing effort 246Tp.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Not to take it away from the lads but what has Dartmoor got to do with it? It appears they did the Woodbury route as they marched onto camp at completion.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Not to take it away from the lads but what has Dartmoor got to do with it?

Agreed. Thirty miles is thirty miles.
Pure speculation on my part but logistics may have been a bigger factor than inclement weather.

Arguably the biggest hazard on the approach roads to the moors last week were the 4×4 Chelsea Tractors abandoned and blocking roads as parents failed to take Tarquin and Phoebe sledging on a 'snow day'.

Reaction score
Agreed. Thirty miles is thirty miles.
Pure speculation on my part but logistics may have been a bigger factor than inclement weather.

Arguably the biggest hazard on the approach roads to the moors last week were the 4×4 Chelsea Tractors abandoned and blocking roads as parents failed to take Tarquin and Phoebe sledging on a 'snow day'.

Tarquin and phoebe :D

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
You're not wrong @Chelonian Ive witnessed too many absolute spastics think that 4x4 = weather doesn't apply to them.

I don't know how difficult it is for people to realise it doesn't matter what vehicle you have, it's what interfaces with the road.

I've been caught almost with my pants down before, not due to my lack of preparation, but every other idiot. I felt bad at the time, but I have hooked someone up who was stranded, got them far enough out of my way, then released so I could crack on. It was the same during the Somerset floods when I managed to get through an area that a LR Discovery didn't, because he did the Jeremy Clarkson approach to obstacles & I went full James May.

More people need to understand that they aren't the exception to the rule.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
You're not wrong @Chelonian Ive witnessed too many absolute spastics think that 4x4 = weather doesn't apply to them.

I don't know how difficult it is for people to realise it doesn't matter what vehicle you have, it's what interfaces with the road.

I've been caught almost with my pants down before, not due to my lack of preparation, but every other idiot. I felt bad at the time, but I have hooked someone up who was stranded, got them far enough out of my way, then released so I could crack on. It was the same during the Somerset floods when I managed to get through an area that a LR Discovery didn't, because he did the Jeremy Clarkson approach to obstacles & I went full James May.

More people need to understand that they aren't the exception to the rule.

Agreed!

With these appalling weather conditions, in these difficult snow bound times - its nice to show you care, so I popped next door to see if my 79 year old neighbour needed anything from the shop. She said she did, so I gave her my list.

No point in both of us going out in this weather. :D:D:D:D:D

Alan
(pinched from another site!)

Chelonian

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Illustrious, post: 635973, member: 818"...it's what interfaces with the road.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I'd argue that the V1·01 human brain is the best interface. Theoretically.

A Dartmoor farmer of my acquaintance has operated a sexy, vintage Soviet six-wheeler for years. But even he was reluctant to venture out on roads last week because the biggest hazard was everyone else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Caversham 246 Troop Parents & Partners 4
M Troop 310 Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 1
C 307 Troop Parents & Partners 3