28 and thinking of joining?

ashlito

Reaction score
Hi guys,

first time ive posted! Im thinking of joining up but im really concious of my age! am i right to feel this way?? My one big worry is feeling isolated because everyone around me will be alot younger...and i may have difficulties in fitting in.

my fitness isnt a worry for me as ive been training for many years in thai boxing so its kept me in good shape..thank god!

Anyway guys i will really appreciate any feed back on this.

Thanks,

Ashlito.

Aussie89

Reaction score
First off welcome to the site mate

secondly i think go for it. i don't have any first hand expierence and knowledge of if it would be any different but i say go for it

good luck to you mate

MisterP

Reaction score
Mate don't worry about it at all. I'm 28 also, and start RT soon. Sure at the PRMC i got a bit of a slaging for it, but it's all good fun. Everyone gets slaged for something... ginger hair, being short, being tall, being fat, being skinny, being ugly, being to pretty, etc. You'll fit in just fine mate. Remember there is a range of ages, you won't be the only guy in his mid or late 20s.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Ash,

Go for it mate, there are plenty of 28, 29 and some 30+ that do it.

You will not be looked down upon in anyway either by staff or your mates. If anything you'll be looked up too to be an example to others.

Hope that helps

GW

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely go for it if you want it. We only live once and in 5 years time you don't want to regret not doing it.

Jim

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah like everyone else is saying just go for it, think of how many marines there are that are around your age. to be honest i would say being about 28 gives you a fair bit of an advantage because you have already matured and have a fair bit of life experiance, which helps people climb up the ranks a lot quicker, just remember you may be training with young people but your going to end up working with people that are the same age and if they are younger then they will certainly have the maturity that you have.

basically just go for it and dont worry about your age.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do i need to add to this? don't worry about age mate there will be plenty older or the same age. Everyone will respect you just as much if not more!

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Hi guys,

first time ive posted! Im thinking of joining up but im really concious of my age! am i right to feel this way?? My one big worry is feeling isolated because everyone around me will be alot younger...and i may have difficulties in fitting in.

my fitness isnt a worry for me as ive been training for many years in thai boxing so its kept me in good shape..thank god!

Thanks,

Ashlito.

I’m 24 mate, and probably had a big paper round if you know what i mean.

Don’t worry........prove to these little whippa snappers us Jerry Hatirick's are just as capable of going through training.

Also never forget, experience and a wise head is much better on your soul than a younger one. I.e. id guess that we will be both emotionally equipped, and mature enough to not get despondent through training.

And hopefully, provide a bit more support and leadership to the younger recruits, big brother and all that.

ashlito

Reaction score
Wow...reading them replys is probably the single most encouraging moment ive had whilst contemplating joining up!

Thanks very much to all you guys for your advice and support.

Brilliant site!

afco here i come!

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Ashlito.
ashilto: The oldest guy in my troop duing basic training was 28 years old. His maturity stood out and no doubt stood him in good stead. He went on to be our Troop Kings Badgeman, which is the best all round recruit.

So go for it mate.

Cheers

Steve

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yep and I'm 27, so us old fart's are not alone....

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Wouldnt even class you as old farts, Its a great age to join, Had a lad go through basic at 32...