2nd 1.5 mile run

sean7375

Reaction score
Not long ago i posted my time for a 1.5 mile was 12:06.97
I was not wearing proper running shoes but today after school i went in to town and got a chin up bar and a descent pair of running shoes.

My time tonight was 10:55.20 so im very happy with that.
Just a note to say if you want a good time get a decsent pair of trainers!

I will probably continue this every night for the next year or so, but in that time i will have to swith to a 3 and 6 miler, i dont know how i will do that, i was very much out of breth when i came back tonight.

sean7375

Reaction score
PAGreenwell said:
Alright Sean, well done on improving your time. I went and pushed myself on my 3 mile run tonight and got a time of 21.59 which I was over the moon with.

Keep working hard and you'll soon be able to add distance to your runs. After two or three weeks of doing your 1.5 mile run, increase the distance to 2 miles etc etc.

Make sure you include some rest days in order to let your body recover and help prevent injuries.
thanks for the help, really appreciate it.
Well done for your time by the way.
I will be sure to have a few days rest
Thanks

Reaction score
sean7375 said:
Not long ago i posted my time for a 1.5 mile was 12:06.97
I was not wearing proper running shoes but today after school i went in to town and got a chin up bar and a descent pair of running shoes.

My time tonight was 10:55.20 so im very happy with that.
Just a note to say if you want a good time get a decsent pair of trainers!

I will probably continue this every night for the next year or so, but in that time i will have to swith to a 3 and 6 miler, i dont know how i will do that, i was very much out of breth when i came back tonight.
I started like you, in say November/December '06. I built up much slower than i could've and effectively had 4/5months out with injury - now i'm running 10k easily and feel like i can go on for longer. What i did to improve distance was did spurts. Run at a decent pace for 5mins, have a breather, run again for 5mins, have a breather, run again for 5mins. One thing i've learned is TRY NOT TO STOP MOVING, i.e. when you have a breather keep walking, if you're on a treadmill whack the gradient right up and walk uphill for a couple of mins, then do your next 5min burst. As time goes by you'll find you're able to run at a) a quicker pace or b) do longer spurts. Eventually these bursts will bleed into one and you'll already be covering significant distance, that in itself tends to spur you on to go a little further.

Having said that i am a psychotic maniac and push myself really hard, taking care not to give a *text deleted**text deleted* about the losers in the gym who never break sweat and stare at you as if to say "Can you not get sweat all over the gym equipment please". Making them look bad is one of the few pleasures in life that i have!

I'm a bugger for running on treadmills and not outside, however to make up for the fact running outside is harder i always run with a bit of gradient on the machine. 3% or whatever is what i generally take to be equivalent to flat ground - doesn't sound alot does it but over 10k 3% is a significant difference. I complete 10k in the abysmal time of 50mins but with an average gradient of 5%. Don't know what that equates to in terms of outside running but i'll find out soon when i start running 10k races. See runnersworld.co.uk and get yourself into some events when you feel ready - you don't have to win the bloody things, but its nice to put your new-found fitness to some use.