2nd PJFT

TheKernowKid

Reaction score
God I hate the PJFT! Got 10:31.....just couldn’t hold the speed for the last bit. But if the rules haven’t changed, should only be a 2 week wait this time! Ah well back to the treadmill!!

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Get a day pass at your nearest Nuffield centre and practice on the treadmills there and don't book another till you're hitting it in 9:30. One more fail would be a wait for at least 3 years so don't rush into getting another attempt! I found the Nuffield treadmills so much harder than my usual ones, was hitting mocks in 9:30 but struggled through in 9:49 on the actual one.
Good luck!

TheKernowKid

Reaction score
Ah see the treadmills I use are identical to the Nuffield ones so I don’t have an issue with that. And I can’t not rush it, 2 week mandatory wait, and maybe another 2 once I receive the letter.

Cheers bud

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Should be fine then! I don't really get the 2 week thing but I had my medical in Jan and only did my PJFT this month due to a knee issue, if you're struggling then just ask your CA to defer for a few weeks, much better doing that than failing and seeing yourself off!

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
The two week wait is in force because lets be honest, you aren't going to make the necessary fitness gains in a week, or arguably two. I am baffled by pjft failure though. I had never actually ran a timed 1.5 mi until the day of my pjft. I honestly don't recall ever having ran anything more than a two miler to the swimming pool. You should not be failing once, let alone twice.

This may sound harsh but have a serious think about whether this is the career for you. 3 commando brigade exists to do things that others physically, or mentally can't. There are enough Friday night marines kicking about the corps as it is, what we need is highly motivated, physically capable and switched on grey men. You've got the motivation, or else you would have disappeared into the shadows by now, what you need now is the physically capable part. Do not rush your final chance.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I wasn't aware there was a mandatory 2 week wait between pjfts.

It's usually two months between failed pjfts unless the second run is fully completed with a run time of less than 11 minutes, in which case the retake is within the Careers Adviser's discretion.

If the medical was passed on 14th June, the PJFT should've been taken within two weeks of the medical records being received by the AFCO, upon receipt of the PJFT letter.

TheKernowKid

Reaction score
No I wasn’t referring to it as a mandatory 2 week wait between pjfts, you said on another thread that if the pjft was failed within 10% then it was only a 2 week wait, which is what I was referring to.

@Illustrious I just seem to have a block when on the treadmill, I’ve been hitting the pjft outside for months, dont know why I can’t on the treadmill. -banghead-

Kez1996

Reaction score
If your capable of completing it outside then you can do it on a treadmill the pjft is all mental and if a career in the royal marines is what you really want then you should be able to overcome it. It's only 10 minutes of hardwork

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
@Illustrious I just seem to have a block when on the treadmill, I’ve been hitting the pjft outside for months, dont know why I can’t on the treadmill. -banghead-
Train hard! Fight easy is a mantra you need to live by. Too many times I hear lads thinking I need a 9:59 to pass a pjft, or adrenaline will kick In and I'll pass! Or that Zeus himself will intervene because he's a former Bootneck!! Lads train, and accept that the minimum standard is ok!! You need to constantly improve from wherever you are. If you ran a 7:00 BFT. Great. Next time you should be 6:59. Nothing else should be acceptable to you? That's the mindset you need to adopting. Never mind about stats and times. Be better tomorrow than you are today! And don't accept anything different. It's called self pride, and self discipline!!

You should be consistently passing at least one mock Pjft per week, supplemented by a robust specific running regime to help achieve your aims. There is plenty of info on here.

You have one attempt remaining!! Don't waste it!!

Good luck.