Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

2yr job cycle

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by stan98, Jan 25, 2017.

1. stan98

stan98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I know that army officers change there role every 2 years and I was wondering if this is the same for the marines?

2. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Yep most drafts within the RM are two years.

3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Draft yes. Meaning location. You can get a chance to stay in a location of the situation and SQ allows it.

Role, no. As in SQ. Some SQs have a return of service that differs on the SQs.

You have to remember that if you change SQ then you go to the bottom of the pile for Promotion.

4. stan98

stan98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    so say you did ML officers course and were put in a recce platoon, you would have to move on to something else after 2 yrs, am I getting that right?

5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No, Officers have a longer draft. I think. The ML course is over 18 months long anyway; why go through that just for a 2 year draft?

If you went for ML Officer, then you would get a draft to a unit. Then after a set period of time, you would draft to another unit, if the requirement was there, you could stay. but still as an ML.

As a marine. You could chose a 2 year DSS as a store man, to get front of the que for let's say Assault Engineer.

You could spend 2 years at 42 as an AE then get a draft to 45 and stay there for 4 years. Then draft to 40.

Or you can be locked into 42 for 5 years because of the requirements and the man power. Or you could chance a 1 for 1 swap with someone at another unit.

It depends on requirements.

Do you mean draft as in unit location, or draft as in an SQ?

6. stan98

stan98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I meant SQ, so cheers for the answer!