3 Mile help

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How do I improve my speed for the 3 miler, Last week I started this sprint work out I made up as follows:

5x1 km sprints in 4mins or under
8x400 meter sprints in 1.40 or under
10x 200 meter Hill sprints in 1 min or under
This is done twice a week.

What do you guys think of it, is it good to improve the 3 miler, do you know anything better that improves speed?

this is my current overall C.V for a week:
Mon: Sprint session
Tue: 4.3 miles
Wed 6 miles
Thr: 8.6 miles
Fri:Sprint session
weekend: Rest

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
thats ok, if its working for you and you are seeing results then keep it up. your sprinting looks really intense. i only do 50 meter hill sprints, simply because im not much of a sprinter.

but as long as your not doing under 4 miles every run then all good.

MT6690

Reaction score
ive got my prmc comen up, and im not *text deleted* lie, i dont even do that much stuff. im trying to find a balence of not doin too much but worken myself at the same time, i just do 2-4 mile jogs 4-5 times a week, go gym and do me situps and pressups in the morning and evening. what *text deleted* doin sounds pretty good, but just mke sure *text deleted* improving *text deleted* fitness gradually and it actually does work for you.

MT

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Max-If I was doing that running schedule i'd hav an extra rest day mid week (prob do sum gym circuits on that day), but if it's working for you keep it up

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I started the sprint workout last week so I haven't seen any results yet, but I have noticed my lungs feel more bigger if you know what I mean, I can take in more oxygen than before which I guess will help me run faster. I'll keep you guys informed on my progress, see if this works well, hope to see some good results in a months time. I tend to find it really hard to push myself to the limits when i do a standard 4 miles or whatever distance run, but with sprint workouts your constantly working at 100% and I think will help me break that mental barrier.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats a pretty intense sprint session. Keep that up mate and you'll be super fit. I was doing no where near that much sprinting before prmc and done fairly well. You'll find your three mile time should drop significaltly with that workout. Well done mate

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
is that sprint session done in one complete session? and if so how long a break do you take between each type of exercise, i.e. 2 min break between 1km sprints to 200 meter hill sprints or anything as such? because i may try that

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
5x1 km sprints- 2/3 MIN REST
8x400 meter sprints- 1 MIN REST
10x 200 meter Hill sprint- NO REST (jog straight back down and sprint back up)

Geordie

Reaction score
Max Pain - I got a PB on the 3-miler on Saturday of 17 mins 19 seconds, PB prior to that was 17.22. When I first started off trying to improve 3 milers my best time was around 21 minutes (this would have been in February this year - however, prior to that I had been running regularly for years). Don't know if my schedule is any help:

Monday am 2 mile run with 5 kg pack (undulating terrain)

Monday pm 3 mile run with 5 kg pack including fartlek i.e. 5 separate sprints about 1 mile in of 50 metres each. That's to say I'll blast out 50 metres, walk 50, blast out 50 etc, then finish the remainder at normal pace.

Tuesday, Thursday and Friday as above with Wednesday and Sunday as rest days. On the Saturday I'll just go for it, no pack, no fartlek, just pound out 3 miles as hard as possible. My routes always incorporate hills, both up and down, flat and mixed terrain i.e. gravel, grass and path. It took a while to find a few routes to give me what I wanted (loving mapmyrun.com) but I think it was worth it.

Additionally, I like to (once or twice per week) go to a local park which has trees lined up 20 metres apart and, at the end of the 3 miler, do shuttle runs twice i.e. 1st tree back, 2nd tree back, 3rd tree back, fourth tree back, 60 seconds run on the spot and repeat. I wouldn't do this after the Saturday 'all out' run.

Before the morning run I always have a high sugar but light bit of scran i.e. peanut butter or jam on toast about 60 mins before I leave.

All the best lads
Geordie

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers mate, good 3 mile time by the way, I haven't timed mine recently as the shortest distance I do is 4.3 miles which I do in 29:25. Thanks for your input.

Geordie

Reaction score
I definitely think it's a good idea to time the run once a week or fortnight as even shaving a second off a PB injects a massive amount of confidence and makes you more determined to at least maintain if not better your PB yet again. Obviously the reverse of that could be getting a PB, and timing the next run a second slower!

In terms of the distance, before I began attending Holding Troop at London RMR, I was running distances of 3 miles, 5 miles and 7 miles on a regular basis. However, the PTI at London RMR has insisted (at the end of pretty much every Phys session) that we focus on 3 miles as quick as we can. In his own words 'not 5 miles, not 6 miles, not 10 miles', so, even though I run 5 miles on four days per week, I never run more than 3 miles at a time.
Obviously combining these runs with circuit training with (light) weights and following the training schedules suggested on the RM website help build up CV fitness as well as strength. Ultimately, the way I look at it is that if the RM PTI tells us to do X in order to meet the objectives of Y, that's what I'll do. I guess the longer distances and our abilities to cover them successfully will be tested and installed gradually throughout Basic Training, whether that be Reserve or Regular.

All the best mate