3 Miler

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Not that anyone will be particularly interested, but i made a massive improvement on my 3 miler :fly:
Went from my last time of 22.50 to 21.54 today.
I've only just gotten into my fitness regimen in the last month or so so I'm just finding my feet at the minute, just realising what I can do and what I can't (YET!).
I haven't done a PRMC 3 miler simulation yet, with a 30 second break and best effort back but hey with my current 3 miler I'm bound to get around 9.30 when I do, or better, seeing as I didn't take any breaks.
So what are everyone's best 3 milers?
Any suggestion on best ways to improve these times?

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Congratz on the progress.

Work on getting that 7 minute mile pace down and then you should be able to break the 10 minute return barrier.

I haven't done a PRMC 3 miler simulation yet, with a 30 second break and best effort back but hey with my current 3 miler I'm bound to get around 9.30 when I do, or better, seeing as I didn't take any breaks.
You will get a minute break I believe. Also, from personal experience, the maximum pace you can run at on a 1.5 mile run isn't much faster than the pace you can run on a 3 mile run so I wouldn't say you'd be able to get a 9:30 return. But that might just be me. :toung:

I think the best ways to improve on the 1.5 mile return is by intervals. Run 1 minute at target pace (or faster), jog 30 secs. Repeat 10 times and that should make for a good workout. Make it harder each weak by lengthening the running time and reducing the resting time.

On top of that there's hill sprints which are great for developing leg strength and recovery time too.

I like to do 1 PJFT test, 1 interval run, 1 hill sprint, and a 3-5 mile run per week. I might add 1 more run when I get fitter.

RM_Bandit

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Times don't quite relate in that way i'm afraid. Or I'd be getting a 6-7min return which i'm certainly not. Either way good job improving your time, keep at it! As said above intervals are a great way of improving your 1.5mile return as it gets you used to running at a fast pace for longer.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
nice id imagine thats better than me, my only timed run was a 40 minute 5 miler, so thatd make my 3 miler 24 minutes at worst, maybe a bit better

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well done mate. My 3 miler PB was 20.06 before injury. Hit 20.37 the other day, and then a few days after ran my best hill session to date. Well chuffed. Few good hills in that 3 miler too.

If your interested, when I was hitting 20.06 I got a 9.17 return on RMAD. I think you'd be surprised what you can do, with 60s rest and the mental determination to go absolutely flat out over 2400m.

Acctually I think I'm surprised how many people don't have that determination. Some people on my RMAD still had a fair bit of energy at the end of the return where as I was smashed to bits. I ran 2nd place all the way to the final straight where a few guys sprinted off. That tells me they didn't go 100% all the way.

It's ALL in your mind. Believe it. It really is.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the responses, I thought it would just work like that but I guess not ha :doh:
I'm going to do a return 3 miler as soon as my leg is better, as well as starting some HIIT and hill sprints, etc, I absolutely smashed it yesterday and my leg is aching, may have pulled something or I might just be being a wimp.

Well done mate. My 3 miler PB was 20.06 before injury. Hit 20.37 the other day, and then a few days after ran my best hill session to date. Well chuffed. Few good hills in that 3 miler too.

If your interested, when I was hitting 20.06 I got a 9.17 return on RMAD. I think you'd be surprised what you can do, with 60s rest and the mental determination to go absolutely flat out over 2400m.

Acctually I think I'm surprised how many people don't have that determination. Some people on my RMAD still had a fair bit of energy at the end of the return where as I was smashed to bits. I ran 2nd place all the way to the final straight where a few guys sprinted off. That tells me they didn't go 100% all the way.

It's ALL in your mind. Believe it. It really is.
Yeah like I said I'm just sort of 'finding myself' with regards to my fitness at the minute, when I'm running and it starts to get hard, I just think about being at Lympstone, and the fact that it won't last forever, every workout ends, and it seems to give me some strength and I just smash it, I've never been as knackered after a run as I was yesterday so I think I can safely say I gave it 110% I'll just have to do the same every time.