30 Miler for Y.O's Solo?

D

DevonCadet

Hi,

I've just read on wikipedia that the Y.O's 30 miler has to be self navigated, done in 7 hours and without your syndicate.

Is that correct? And does that mean you do it completely solo or in small groups?

Thanks,

DC

D

DevonCadet

Cheers PTBB but I was kind of hoping for an answer from someone who knew.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
That's a hell of a pace. During SAS selection, they do a 40 miler, and have about 20 hours to do it. Wikipedia isn't exactly reliable...

D

DevonCadet

It's definitely 30miles in 7 hours. Just not sure now whether it is solo or in a group. Obviously doesn't matter either way just interested to find out.

lewdog29

Reaction score
I'll bet that the 40 miler on selection is done over harsher terrain and with a heavier bergen. And that is definately self navigated. im sure thats why you get longer to finish. the record is suppost to be 13 hours or something.

noveldex

Reaction score
I'll bet that the 40 miler on selection is done over harsher terrain and with a heavier bergen. And that is definately self navigated. im sure thats why you get longer to finish. the record is suppost to be 13 hours or something.

you couldnt be more right... if i had 30miles to do i would get my head down and just mission it completely!! get it done and whine about it when your in the bath afterwards *text deleted*...

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I believe it is done solo! This would be very difficult. Running in a troop you would have a PTI to set the pace making things easier, and people struggle enough on the 8 hour one for recruits!

As for the SAS I believe it is more of a yomp than a run? But the terrain is much harsher, and yes much heavier kit also.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
It is 30 miles 7hours i believe. And i think you do it in a small group self navigating. There is a PTI with you but for safety only and does not provide any help unless your a few kilometres off course!

noveldex

Reaction score
It is 30 miles 7hours i believe. And i think you do it in a small group self navigating. There is a PTI with you but for safety only and does not provide any help unless your a few kilometres off course!

damn... a few kilometres off course?!?!!... that would be majorly S*text deleted*T if your running tight to seven hours... the way i thought about it is...... people have run marathons in 4 hours and they are 26 miles... granted they havent got a weapon or kit so give or take... but thats the way i thought it through.... just tuck in!

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Exactly mate, you should be pretty *text deleted**text deleted* hot on the map reading by then so just need to get a steady pace going.

sb146564

Reaction score

Yer quite right, its done as a night navi exercise, with varying bergan weights, sometimes up to 70lbs. Again the record is 13 hours but funnily enough the fella who did this failed the course!
SB

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
damn... a few kilometres off course?!?!!... that would be majorly S*text deleted*T if your running tight to seven hours... the way i thought about it is...... people have run marathons in 4 hours and they are 26 miles... granted they havent got a weapon or kit so give or take... but thats the way i thought it through.... just tuck in!

Faster than that mate, 2hrs 15 minutes about, works out as something like 4 minute 15 second miles!

lewdog29

Reaction score
ja but you lads are forgetting that those runners havn't just done 31 weeks of intense commando training or performed the other three commando tests prior to posting times like that..not to mention the bergen issue.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
O yea I agree, and not to mention the terrain. Im just pointing out how incredibly fit they are.

noveldex

Reaction score
Faster than that mate, 2hrs 15 minutes about, works out as something like 4 minute 15 second miles!

oh i know but i am talking about the avreage joe who wants to have a go! i just done the london marathon mate best thing i ever did personally... literally 32 seconds under 4 hours... i was hanging by the end tho, the last sprint you are properly on *text deleted* chin strap!

noveldex

Reaction score
ja but you lads are forgetting that those runners havn't just done 31 weeks of intense commando training or performed the other three commando tests prior to posting times like that..not to mention the bergen issue.

thats another fair point, but they have just done 3-4 months of running training... no where near the same but its still intense!

Reaction score
Fellas,
The 30 miler for YOs is done in small section sized syndicates. It is self navigated but you are 'helped' by the DS. It's absolutely nails, to get it done in an hour faster than recruits requires you to run most of the flats and downhills. In my opinion it is the hardest test by a country mile for Officers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fine 30 miler Recruit Training (RT) Chat 50
S 9 miler origin help Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 17
Lurch 30 Miler Recruit Training (RT) Chat 37