30 miler

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I remember on my 30 miler we crossed a bridge about 27 miles in when our Cpl said "lads this was my finish point". Numpty in the rear replied "so you only did a 27 miler Cpl". Was pretty funny and exactly the laugh we all needed at that stage. Fair play to the lad.

Even funnier watching him fully submerge at shaugh prior at our finish, still grinning ear to ear. Absolute morale

fine

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I remember on my 30 miler we crossed a bridge about 27 miles in when our Cpl said "lads this was my finish point". Numpty in the rear replied "so you only did a 27 miler Cpl". Was pretty funny and exactly the laugh we all needed at that stage. Fair play to the lad.

Even funnier watching him fully submerge at shaugh prior at our finish, still grinning ear to ear. Absolute morale
Ours mustve been the Same then as we crossed the old bridge from the other direction and carried on towards the railway tunnel. Names like Shin splint hill and spooky tunnel were being thrown about before/around this point but I was in the locker and didnt take much information In unfortunately o_O
No mention of a killer hill though (thank god!)

Chelonian

Reaction score
You're in public areas like Woodbury, dartmoor etc so it's likely to happen but they've seen it all before.

The civilian dog walkers would write letters of complaint to the CO at Depot Para, Aldershot when thunderflashes were detonated on Hankley Common. :)
Ours mustve been the Same then as we crossed the old bridge from the other direction and carried on towards the railway tunnel.

The finish line is the old railway viaduct then? After Shaugh Bridge and the tunnel?

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
But random....but I had a bruise that felt like a ping-pong ball on my shoulder where the sling basically trapped a part of the muscle for the whole 8hours....anybody else have this?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
But random....but I had a bruise that felt like a ping-pong ball on my shoulder where the sling basically trapped a part of the muscle for the whole 8hours....anybody else have this?

Yep. And massively swolen hands!

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Ours mustve been the Same then as we crossed the old bridge from the other direction and carried on towards the railway tunnel. Names like Shin splint hill and spooky tunnel were being thrown about before/around this point but I was in the locker and didnt take much information In unfortunately o_O
No mention of a killer hill though (thank god!)
Killer Hill is the road up from the bridge and leads to the main gate at the camp. It's brutal.

I was never in 42, but throughout the Corps pay was paid in cash every two weeks. Some companies in 42 used to hold their pay parades at the top of the Dewerstone and the guys had to run down the hill, over the bridge and up the track to the top of the 'Stone, where there used to be a table with a grunter and pay clerk sat behind it, doling out the pay. You then had to run back down and then up Killer Hill. I was at 40 Cdo in Seaton Bks, about 5 miles away and ours was held in the Company Lines, thankfully!

On another bit of history, when Commando Training was relocated from Achnacarry it went to Bickleigh where Squads moved to from CTC, (back then it was called ITCRM) and the old Tarzan Course was located over Bickleigh Vale over the River Plym, which apparently was a regular run from Bickers down the hill to the TC and then doubling back up at the end.

Alan

fine

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The finish line is the old railway viaduct then? After Shaugh Bridge and the tunnel?
Yeah that's the official one. From there we just carried on to the 42 bridge and got clapped in there, so that was the finish line for me.
Killer Hill is the road up from the bridge and leads to the main gate at the camp. It's brutal.
Ah I think we mustve walked up the hill then, and then nod shuffled into the camp
throughout the Corps pay was paid in cash every two weeks. Some companies in 42 used to hold their pay parades at the top of the Dewerstone and the guys had to run down the hill, over the bridge and up the track to the top of the 'Stone, where there used to be a table with a grunter and pay clerk sat behind it, doling out the pay. You then had to run back down and then up Killer Hill.
Ah Trust the corp to make things slightly harder than they need to be :D

aliens-do-exist

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
On camp they can see you on some parts of the bottom field (always seemed to be when I was hanging out the most) and most field exercises you'll come across civvies along the way. You're in public areas like Woodbury, dartmoor etc so it's likely to happen but they've seen it all before.

Final ex was the weirdest one for me as we were on killer yomp, walking through the town whilst I had an ASM (missile launcher) top flapped on my Bergen. Had kids waiting for their bus probably thinking what the hell is happening. Lots of funny looks then :D
Just be respectful, smile and be polite. Or try and look nails, up to you!
so you walk through town? on 30 miler? must have got a buzz from being cheered on!