3rd year University Dissertation Royal Marines

A.duig91

Reaction score
I am currently in my 2nd year studying geography at the University of Hull, with my disseration coming up I have decided to choose the topic of Armed forces (specifically Royal Marines) cultural identity and relationships with foreign allies. I have been told to construct an interview lasting approximtely 1 hour with around 8 Royal Marines and ask them various research questions. Would it be possible for some advice on the type of questions to ask (I don't want to touch on sensitive areas). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I am currently in my 2nd year studying geography at the University of Hull, with my disseration coming up I have decided to choose the topic of Armed forces (specifically Royal Marines) cultural identity and relationships with foreign allies. I have been told to construct an interview lasting approximtely 1 hour with around 8 Royal Marines and ask them various research questions. Would it be possible for some advice on the type of questions to ask (I don't want to touch on sensitive areas). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam
It may be more beneficial for you to rather come up with a comprehensive list of questions that you would like to ask (seeing as it is your research paper, and you should know in what direction you want it to go).

Then, you could receive feedback on your list.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Always thought Geography was a subject which encompassed the topics that could not otherwise be classified, but every day is a school day.

I could understand the Royal Marines would be a topic to study for Public Services students, but that's a tenuous first, particularly if upon choosing a topic to study, the questions are contributions from others.

Good luck - up until now, it's only the Medical Examiner that requires a urine sample.

A.duig91

Reaction score
yeah thanks for the advice on an important piece of work, so very helpful :bigsmile:

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah thanks for the advice on an important piece of work, so very helpful :bigsmile:
The point, is that it is an important piece of work.

For you to be able to 'make it your own' and write a comprehensive report, you need to define the fundamental research question. What relationship two or more variables are you attempting to establish? What is the overriding point you wish to make?

Once you have defined this, you can determine all the research questions that you will need to fulfil the requirements.

You can't expect to come on here and expect to be handed all of the questions that you need to ask. You honestly won't get very useful replies from such an open-ended request, and no one is going to do your work for you.

Hence, refer back to my first post.

A.duig91

Reaction score
I wasn't asking for the actual questions, if it came across that way I didn't mean it to. Just because the topic can be thought of as rather sensitive, it was almost what type of areas to stay clear from. I don't want to offend anyone with question that may have brought up a senitive memory. There is no specific point, just primary data which involves interviewing individuals who have served overseas and their experience of foreign relationships and for me to draw up generalisations etc.

Cheers anyway

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't asking for the actual questions, if it came across that way I didn't mean it to. Just because the topic can be thought of as rather sensitive, it was almost what type of areas to stay clear from. I don't want to offend anyone with question that may have brought up a senitive memory. There is no specific point, just primary data which involves interviewing individuals who have served overseas and their experience of foreign relationships and for me to draw up generalisations etc.

Cheers anyway
Having been through Uni and completed a dissertation, on the contrary, it is imperative that there is a specific point/question.

The actual research question may come later, but you need to have a clear direction. You cannot 'simply write' about such relationships.

I may be completely off the mark and you may not have to do that, but then it's not really a research dissertation, just an essay on a topic. BUT, even in a simple essay, it is necessary to draw conclusions from the data collected - these conclusions more or less constitute the answer the research question anyway.

To actually answer your question, you need to determine the specific areas of questionning : relationships with foreign nationals, relationships with oppos and the beginning and end of a tour, change in relationships/behaviour after a serious contact/fatality etc.

Before launching into the interview (or even at a time before the interview), you need inform the interviewee of the areas of discussion and determine if they are comfortable answering the questions.

Vito

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Having been through Uni and completed a dissertation, on the contrary, it is imperative that there is a specific point/question.

The actual research question may come later, but you need to have a clear direction. You cannot 'simply write' about such relationships.
Fully agree with your points VTom, however I'm also a 2nd year and as a module we've been asked to come up with a basic idea for our dissertation, just a general topic, do a bit of research, and then think about which direction we may wish to take it in. His request in this instance could be for something similar.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Generally, Royal Marines tend to be fairly robust & forthright when answering service related questions & will inform the individual if a question is inappropriate.

Bear in mind not a week passes by without those Royal Marines in the Visibility Teams being asked by a curious student whether they've killed anyone. So far as I'm aware none of them have turned into axe wielding maniacs as a result, but doubtless they've considered it.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
If a question is too sensitive, then the lad you're asking will just say, Thats too sensitive. Or just ask before hand, is there any subject you dont want me to talk about.

Like Ninja said, i cant imagine any bootneck would shy away from a question, purely just because every bootneck is hard as #*%@ :kult:

With my civvy mates, it deeply offends me every time they say "hows life in the Army?" ...not so much have you shot everyone.

A.duig91

Reaction score
Cheers everyone for your advice. My mum used to work with an ex marine who served in the forces for 5 years and is now starting a job as personal security in Iraq and he's coming over to discuss my work with him!

Like you said, they'll say whether or not I'm being too upfront and I'll think before I ask! Also can imagine when it comes to service they won't shy away from the majority

Cheers fellas