4 Summit Challenge

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A freind of mine is looking to do a 4 peak challenge soon,him and his buddy that is looking to join the RM.

He mentioned it to me and im keen,although im wondering what kind of effect it could have on my shin splints.

Im pretty good now compared to 6 months back.I get a few sharp pains along the shin,but its a lot better than before. Im only running once a week,with the rest of my training being rowing,cycling,swimming etc.

Now the basic route looks like this

Ben Nevis
Scafell Pike – Seathwaite (the most arduous route up and down)
Mount Snowden
In 24 Hours

Pen Y Fan (Fan Dance -SAS Selection Route)

So i assume its going to be pretty tough,espeically doing the 3 main ones within 24 hours.

Has anyone ever done some serious hiking before,and if so,do they think that doing this in a month or so's time would be jumping the gun in terms of recovery. Might get out and hike up my local downs for a bit to see how the old legs are feeling

Zefan

Reaction score
A couple of middle aged ladies from my old workplace did the 3 peaks challenge, I'm sure you'll manage it!

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* if they can do it....

What im really worried about more than anything is what some seriously long hiking will do in terms of agrivating some slight shin pain. Ive not done much walking with a pack on,and dont have too much to time to get used to it so just looking for advice from people that regularly train like that

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i dont think it should be too much of a problem hiking about with packs.. shin splits tend to hurt durring running or exercise where your feet hit the ground quite hard..

BGarcia89

Reaction score
Advice

I've done Pen Y Fan about 3 times and I've done the 4 peak challenge once and am doing it again in summer, for starters are you doing all of them in 24 hours or is Pen Y Fan separate? Also are you doing just Pen Y Fan the peak or the whole range?

My advice is make sure you have a team of at least three, especially for Pen Y Fan, phone signal there is terrible so for safety reasons you just should.
For the 4 peak challenge you'll need 4 people, the 3 of you that are hiking and a driver to get you everywhere.
Get to Ben Nevis the day before, camp out, get up really early 0300 - 0400, have a whopping great portion of pasta for breakfast, wait half an hour and try and be off before 0500.
Make sure you have maps, some things look like easy routes and then aren't.
It depends what kind've time you're aiming for, my team did it in 20h 37m, if you want it in the 24h bracket make sure you're all as fit as you're ever going to be the driving time is about 10h min if there's no traffic and you obey the law... we didn't entirely.
You don't need to carry too much to be honest, about 2l of water each and some cereal bars/sweets is fine for the actual hills, you can leave everything with your driver down at the base of each hill.
As soon as the pubs open afterwards, have a pint.

BGarcia89

Reaction score
What im really worried about more than anything is what some seriously long hiking will do in terms of agrivating some slight shin pain.
I used to get that when I ran, I went to the doctors about it, It could be something to do with lack of potassium, eat bananas a lot, have one half an hour before you do a run as well, and one before each peak.