Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

42 Cdo in Gibraltar.

Discussion in 'RM Operational News' started by Rover, Jul 4, 2019.

1. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Yeah, but women joining isn’t a ‘talked about point’ now!

Tsk, so much sexism on this site.

2. Sly3

Sly3 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Honestly I stay away from that topic like a raging bushfire, still standing by my opinion; If you can do the work crack on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  3. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Just fishing.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

What’s her name anyway??

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  5. Former AE

Former AE Royal Marines Commando

There is a bigger picture here which the boots on the ground do not know about, remember its politicians who start wars we just kick ass.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rkec

rkec Valuable Contributor

Our foreigh policy reminds me of this scene and I actually think there is some sense in what the Joker is saying

I think the public in general are too scared to look now in case they realise that there is no plan and no bigger picture. I actually still hope I'm wrong and everyone else is right, but I genuinely fear this is it, this is our lot.

If there is a plan then it seems to be degrade our military and then start to pick fights across the globe - which is dam terrifying.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

What interests me most about the boarding of the ship is that EU sanctions were being enforced.

The EU's stance on Iran is very different to that of the USA since President Trump unilaterally rejected an established, lawful and apparently effective agreement relating to Iran's nuclear programme.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. rkec

rkec Valuable Contributor

Also that is sailed freely passed Spanish waters first. You do have to wonder if this was really the EU that asked for this or someone else trying to put a fork in the EU Iran agreement. That might be the bigger picture, wedge in between EU and Iran using historic (but live) EU sanctions from 10 years ago?

Both have just set up a non dollar payment system for oil, if reports are true.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A cynic might argue that US policy towards Iran has as much to do with its 2020 election than by perceived threat. In the same way that US sanctions against Huawei were possibly inspired by economic rather than security concerns. US foreign policy is so incoherent that anything is possible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. R

R Venerated Contributor

2 users :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Lads can and do think for themselves. But they still do what is asked of them. They don’t have to agree with it.

As soon as the first round goes down, politics and all the crap go out the window.

Just because lads are in the Forces, doesn’t mean they can’t formulate and discuss opinions contrary to Foreign Policy. Otherwise we end up with mindless robots that just follow orders.
    Lad regular scoff at foreign policy and other political agendas and policies, but they still do the job. We are the tools in the toolbox not the workman. You want to contest the work? Speak to the workman. Use the ballot box, use the rights you have as a tax paying citizen, which lads in the Forces don’t have, to make the change.

You get a lecture in Recruit Training about the morality of orders, and as such if you question the morality of an order, you can refuse to do it. As long as you can stand up and justify your actions.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/apr/14/iraq.military

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  12. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Politicians don’t spill blood.

It’s easy to sit in an air conditioned office and make decisions without directly seeing the consequences.

Again, just because there is a job to do, doesn’t mean we have to agree with it.

If the boots did know the bigger picture, would they be more or less willing to do it... I always thought keeping abreast of current affairs was encouraged within the Corps.

The old mushroom syndrome, keep them in the dark and fed on sh!t, doesn’t wash with lads and just gets the frustrated and annoyed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

Regardless of Moral standards or decisions made by politicians aside....the lads will love the extra LOA and LSA.

If I was ordered to shoot my nan in her timeshare in Tenerife, aslong as my paypacket was a bit thicker that month I would do it.

:)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

So would I*

*Your nan, not mine of course. :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Until one brakes one second too late.
    As did one individual at RMB Stonehouse in the early 1980s. I intensely dislike choppers for several very good reasons. But happily I'm an old fuddster. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No! Don't shoot her until title of deed is transferred. Some of those pre-1998 RCI timeshare contracts were dodgy and transferred liability to inheritants.
    Shamefully I did legal button-up on some of those contracts back in the day.
    [Mildly embarrassed cough.]

On a more positive note... always cherish your Nan. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Former AE

Former AE Royal Marines Commando

What does make the bum twitch a bit is roping down from a helo into the jungle canopy in Brunei with a 14" chainsaw to cut your way through for the troop to follow, glad the rope was in a bag !

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  18. Rover

Rover Moderator

Going back to the cause of such action by the UK Government.....

Makes you wonder....o_O

Oil Tanker Bombed Near Persian Gulf Is Shipping Fuel to Iran

By Anthony Dipaola and Abbas Al Lawati

‎07‎ ‎July‎ ‎2019‎ ‎09‎:‎05

Andrea Victory’s satellite signals indicate vessel is full

Ship was bombed in May; U.S. blamed the attack on Iran :confused:

An oil tanker damaged in a bombing that was blamed on Iran is back in business. The ship’s first destination: Iran.o_O

The Andrea Victory is sailing in the northern Persian Gulf and signaling Iran’s Bandar Imam Khomeini as a destination, according to ship tracking data compiled by Bloomberg. The data show the vessel, which was attacked off the coast of the United Arab Emirates in May, is full and transporting fuel to Iran.

Tanker bombings this year inflamed tensions in the Gulf as the U.S. and Saudi Arabia blamed Iran for targeting the vessels and putting oil flows at risk. Iran denies involvement in the attacks. Iran and European countries are in a standoff over the Islamic republic’s adherence to the 2015 nuclear deal and the seizure by U.K. forces of a cargo of Iranian crude.

The Norwegian-flagged Andrea Victory was one of four vessels damaged by explosions off the U.A.E. port of Fujairah in May. Two other tankers were bombed close to Iranian territorial waters in June. Fujairah, the Gulf’s main oil-trading hub, sits just outside the Strait of Hormuz, the strategic chokepoint at the entrance to the Gulf.

The Andrea Victory, after repairs in Dubai’s Port Rashid, appears to have loaded fuel in a ship-to-ship transfer near Fujairah earlier this month, according to tanker tracking. It was unclear what type of fuel the vessel is carrying.

The vessel’s operations have returned to “business as usual,” said Dustin Eno, a crisis response manager at Navigate PR, which works on behalf of the ship’s manager Thome Group. Eno, who spoke by phone on July 1, declined to comment on where the ship was headed. Representatives for the vessel couldn’t immediately be reached Sunday.

U.S. sanctions prohibit trade in Iranian oil and refined products. Iran has in the past imported refined fuels to meet domestic demand, even as it expands its own refining capacity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ed-near-persian-gulf-is-shipping-fuel-to-iran
    :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Political debate aside. This op is important for you bootneck lot I think.

This was a sexy maritime job that showcased what the corps can deliver.

For the last 15 of so years the role of the Corps seemed to be to provide an light infantry element to go smash up Afghan & not necessarily to go to sea to conduct amphibious operations. Let’s be honest- if you look at the telic/Herrick years there wasn’t a massive difference in role between the Corps & Army infantry units.

Hearing about Commandos covertly approaching & boarding a ship underway, and fast-roping onto it from a heli was quite simply, awesome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  20. Rover

Rover Moderator

Nothing new.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3