43 Commando FPGRM

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I see the website has changed it to 43 Commando now, it also comes under command of 3 Commando Brigade

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The Officer in that photo can only be about 4ft tall :love:

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*Pedant mode on* You mean Warrant Officer, right? *Pedant mode off*
I said Officer, not "Commissioned Officer". I was just talking about the Officer in front without a commission. I was :unsure:

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What's the reasoning behind the sudden change of name?

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
PROBABLY in the name of tradition but it's also more memorable, shows that it is still very much a Commando job (one main reason for its unpopularity as a placement amongst Royals is that it's not a 'working' Cdo unit) and so on.

It's also now under 3cdo Bde which is interesting.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I for one will feel better now if I get to fpg, It's what I have wanted to do. But I did think I would feel little cheated, now It's 43 Cdo it doesn't sound gay.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I for one will feel better now if I get to fpg, It's what I have wanted to do. But I did think I would feel little cheated, now It's 43 Cdo it doesn't sound gay.
Feel a little cheated? Sounds gay?

Ha, go tell that to the boys from FPG that form the part RM contingent of UKSFSG.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Feel a little cheated? Sounds gay?

Ha, go tell that to the boys from FPG that form the part RM contingent of UKSFSG.

I know about that side of it, but still it's going through all that training to be a commando to go guard a base until if you're good enough to go onto something like SFSG. It's general view attached to it, at least now you will be a cdo unit. I want FPG, but I'd feel as If I'd wussed out choosing it and not being part of a cdo unit.

It's kinda like going through all training to be cook. Granted top job we need them. But I couldn't imagine going home to my family telling them I just done the toughest training in world. Put them through hell, left them alone for months, and now I'm a cook :rock:

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I asked this a few weeks ago but don't think it was answered. Now that it's a 'Commando Unit' and is now under 3 Commando Brigade (where before they were neither a Commando Unit nor under 3 Commando Brigade), would that mean that they're deployable to warzones and perhaps at some point the job of the FPG will rotate amongst all the other units, much like other roles rotate? As in 43 Commando guard the nukes for two years, then 45 do it, then 40, then 42, then 43 and so on? I'd imagine not as it would mean moving units around, but they move guys around all the time.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So in the interview when asked the commando units it will still be 40, 42 and 45 commando. But also FPG 43 commando

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ross, I imagine they won't rotate the units through as it's still FPG, just now known as 43 Commando.

The reason there are sailors in the picture is because the warfare seamanship reserve branch RNR are part of FPG.

ryanb132

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I know about that side of it, but still it's going through all that training to be a commando to go guard a base
We don't guard the base..

at least now you will be a cdo unit. I want FPG, but I'd feel as If I'd wussed out choosing it and not being part of a cdo unit.
You just said you'd be going to a commando unit and then you say you'd have wussed out for not being part of a commando unit. - What?

It's kinda like going through all training to be cook. Granted top job we need them. But I couldn't imagine going home to my family telling them I just done the toughest training in world. Put them through hell, left them alone for months, and now I'm a cook :rock:
It's nothing like going through all the commando training to become a chef.

Probably be a good idea if you did some research on what 43 and the different squadrons actually do before you come on here and talk rubbish, - Saying you'd feel as if you "wussed out" by being part of 43. *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* me off reading that as you don't even seem to have much understand of our role or what jobs we do around the world. Just because we don't take part in what the media mainly cover doesn't mean what we're doing isn't as dangerous or any less important as what the other units are doing.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
We don't guard the base..

You just said you'd be going to a commando unit and then you say you'd have wussed out for not being part of a commando unit. - What?

It's nothing like going through all the commando training to become a chef.

Probably be a good idea if you did some research on what 43 and the different squadrons actually do before you come on here and talk rubbish, - Saying you'd feel as if you "wussed out" by being part of 43. *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* me off reading that as you don't even seem to have much understand of our role or what jobs we do around the world. Just because we don't take part in what the media mainly cover doesn't mean what we're doing isn't as dangerous or any less important as what the other units are doing.

Well I'm sorry to offend, but I think your miss understanding what I'm getting at.

I was talking previously, before It was renamed 43. I Want to go to FPG, wussed maybe the wrong word but feel as like I would of cheated myself if I chosen fpg over going to an operational commando unit. I'm sorry but that's how I felt, I want FPG but I want to be part of commando unit. And now It is a commando unit so It's a winner but before it wasn't. In no way am I trying to say one units job is not as important as another.

I want FPG as what interests me Is the likes of the anti Piracy, Counter Terrorism side of things and boarding operations etc. I know what FPG do, but from speaking to other Royals, they say FPG can be really boring at Faslane being stuck there doing nothing, but upside is you get a lot of training, and there's not much else about the role there. And from what I have been told it can take a long time before getting the opportunity, or you might not ever got the chance to to be able to be part of the teams doing the anti piracy operations etc. End of the day I'm not there, I can only go off what I can read or get told. I was just trying to use something to describe and compare what I felt. But now as I said before, It's 43 Commando now It changes that. If I got FPG I would be part of Commando unit and that changes the feeling massively on what I will want to do.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Just because their name has changed, doesn't mean their role has. You're digging yourself a hole at the moment so I suggest you have a quiet word with yourself with regard to slagging off FPG/43Cdo.

They perform an awful lot & are arguably the best CQB practioners in the entire Corps' due to the nature of their role, outside of CHF obviously, as we're just nails.

JMW123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In regards to what 'Anthony' has been saying, i personally think that we (people who haven't even completed the application, yet alone training) should keep our opinions to ourselves about the units of the Royal Marines.

The serving commandos on here are good enough to give us advice on life in the corps, in which many of us aspire to be part off. And personally i don't think someone should be saying that being part of FPGRM is a wuused out option compared to serving in a Commando unit. At the end of the day they are all Royal Marine Commandos and every marine i have met, i personally see them as an inspiration.

P.S
Not having a dig at you Anthony, just saying what my thoughts are.

All the best.