5 month gap PRMC-RT

Gregor1995

Reaction score
Passed my PRMC 16/12/2017 and my AFCO have offered me several joining dates January onwards.
Although if push come to shove I could leave for RT after a months notice at my current job I have some things I need to sort prior to joining, mortgage, family etc .. I requested late March and they have unofficially offered me 06/05/2018 - little bit longer than I anticipated and the reason was due to Easter leave?

I passed my PJFT late August 2017 so my PJFT is due to expire in late February as far as my understanding goes .. My AFCO have told me I won’t need to redo it (Over the phone) because it renewed at my PRMC because I passed the BFT.
Anyone else had a similar response from AFCO or been in a similar situation? I really don’t fancy ever having to do PJFT again if I can help it.

litmanbo

Reaction score
I didnt start Rt for over 6 months after my prmc, doesnt make a difference mate

litmanbo

Reaction score
Also, saying you dont ever want to do PJFY is a bit laughable mate, after a week in training you will relise a PJFT is a chilled out run so you dont need to worry about re-doing that

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Also, saying you dont ever want to do PJFY is a bit laughable mate, after a week in training you will relise a PJFT is a chilled out run so you dont need to worry about re-doing that
Agreed.

There are an alarming number of potential joiners who stop training after passing PRMC. I've known of one chap who managed to put on two or three stones before joining then getting discharged after failing a BFT on entry.

By the book nowadays a PJFT should be taken &-passed within six months of entry.. If several months elapse after a PRMC pass and entry, a PJFT re-take makes absolute sense to ensure fitness is maintained.

In my experience, although not always the case, the longer someone defers entry after a PRMC pass, the higher the likelihood they either don't join or quit during training. The reasons are varied, but when it comes to making a major life change, the longer the period of deliberation, the higher the chance of taking the safety option. There's also the increased chance to stop training, losing focus and incurring a training injury.

Horses for courses ultimately, you can technically defer entry for a year but bear in mind the SC & medical (and eyetest) are only.valid 12 months and must also be valid upon entry.

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A PJFT is the definition of light phys after you've spent a week in RT haha, too true!

Guess some people do just hate the treadmill that much though!

I'm hoping on a few weeks max between my PRMC and RT as I'm here from Australia and living on peanuts!

Best of luck pal!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score

Absolutely spot on. The first flanking on exercise will make you feel the same about PRMC as well ha

Gregor1995

Reaction score

I see what you’re saying, got no issue doing the BFT but just don’t enjoy the treadmill. Cheers for the advice tho.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I see what you’re saying, got no issue doing the BFT but just don’t enjoy the treadmill. Cheers for the advice tho.

What’s got to be done will have to be done like it or not, I’m pretty sure there’s going to be quite a few things in RT you don’t enjoy but you’ll have to crack on.

Good luck

Gregor1995

Reaction score
What’s got to be done will have to be done like it or not, I’m pretty sure there’s going to be quite a few things in RT you don’t enjoy but you’ll have to crack on.

Good luck

Very true! If it comes to it I’ll just have to suck it up and redo it!!

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. The first flanking on exercise will make you feel the same about PRMC as well ha

Haha couldn't be truer! Literally remember laughing in training about how easy PRMC was in comparison to getting flanked.

Think what makes flankings so much worse is once it's over, you're soaked to the bone, icers, cut hands & knees, aching all over and hanging on your chin strap then you've got to spend the whole morning trying to dry off whilst sitting around trying to take in whats being taught....and knowing you've got at least a couple more days of that. Top tip I learn was stay off the *text deleted*ing flank at all costs.

PRMC the phys finishes, back to the lines for warm showers and dry clothes. Home by Friday. Gucci!

I'm a re-entrant (left after hunters moon, family reasons), now I'm having to re-do the PRMC I'm no longer laughing about how easy its *text deleted* be though haha, will be a big shock to the system from the soft civi life i've lead the past few years.