6th Form Sponsorship

Silvie666

Reaction score
Sponsership

I heard that there is a chance that the Marines or the Navy can sponser people to get through 6th from, [Years 12 and 13] and was wondering if this is still true,

If it is, is anyone able to give me any information regarding this, because i am looking to go to Royal Hospital School for my A levels but was looking to get sponsored.

Thanks in advance

Silv

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sponsorship is available, but in VERY small amounts to the very top academic achievers.

Last year two were awarded, the year before three were awarded to potential RM Officers. The amount is £1500 per year & you have to pass POC & AIB with top scores aged 16 to be considered. If you are unsuccessful at AS Level, you may again apply for the second year.

Good luck, you may need it.

Silvie666

Reaction score
thanks ninja

Im not yet 16, well im 16 in august, does that mean i can or cant apply for sponsorship.

Also im not the smartest guy in the world, so does that mean i wont qualify for them?

thanks

j.cunners

Reaction score
I recently heard about getting sponsorship through 6th form by RM/RN, I then heard that I would need to complete POC and AIB at the age of 16, is this true and would I have ot complete the POC/AIB to the same standards as everyone else?

Does this guarantee entry into to training as a YO.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi welcome.

1. Sponsorship is available to the tune of £1.5K per year in 6th form. You do indeed have to pass POC & AIB and to be awarded sponsorship they are only looking at top academic grades at GCSE & top level POC & AIB passes. For RM Officers, two were awarded last year, three the year before from the whole of the UK & Commonwealth, so it's HIGHLY competitive.

2. If you get a Reserved Place (absolute Top Notch pass) yes, otherwise it only lasts for the duration of the academics & must be re-taken before entry.

It's worth talking to your Area Careers Liaison Officer sooner rather than later to get the ball rolling & to be sure you are preparing correctly in all aspects.

Best of luck.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, I would never have felt ready to do the POC and AIB at 16 years old...hell I don't feel ready now.

S

Sotiris

That's exactly how I feel. They must be some crazy 16 year olds out there.

j.cunners

Reaction score
does anyone know ruffly how many people apply for 6th form sponsorship?
+ is there a time limit on endurance course?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
does anyone know ruffly how many people apply for 6th form sponsorship?
+ is there a time limit on endurance course?

Most 16 & 17 year olds in further education certainly give it consideration. There's not much point in giving figures (even if I knew them) to calculate your chances as it depends entirely on the individual.

The endurance course is unrelated to the selection process.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Most 16 & 17 year olds in further education certainly give it consideration. There's not much point in giving figures (even if I knew them) to calculate your chances as it depends entirely on the individual.

The endurance course is unrelated to the selection process.

I always used to compare myself with other scores, with the assumption that if they did bad I would have a better chance. But I know feel that only the very best effort at maximum points will cut it.

By the way Ninja do you know how hard the AOSB (Main Board) is in comparison to the AIB? I know that there is a maximum of 270 Officer Cadets per intake (3 a year I think) with usually 230 - 250 Officer Cadets being selected for each intake.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
By the way Ninja do you know how hard the AOSB (Main Board) is in comparison to the AIB?

It's a bit of a speculative one that as I've not experienced either in all honesty, so can only relate the experience of those that have taken both.

I interviewed a guy recently (he won't mind my making reference) that passed AOSB as a Para Officer but seemed worried sick about AIB! He was fairly confident about POC or PRMC, but the AIB was his worry. Possibly it's just the fear of the unknown but if you do your research and follow the advice of those that have undergone it, it all seems do-able.

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but I've always felt AIB should be undertaken first, POC second to manage expectations more realistically.

S

Sotiris

Ah! Yes! I've thought that a few times. Put in the word Ninja hehe.

Iago

Reaction score
Sorry this is off topic briefly, but Ninja, I've heard of some people taking and passing the AOSB before AIB, and you mentioned it just now...

How does this work? Is it possible to apply for more than one branch of the armed forces at the same time? Or do they pass the AOSB, turn down an offer and then focus their applications elsewhere, ie. AIB?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry this is off topic briefly, but Ninja, I've heard of some people taking and passing the AOSB before AIB, and you mentioned it just now...

How does this work? Is it possible to apply for more than one branch of the armed forces at the same time? Or do they pass the AOSB, turn down an offer and then focus their applications elsewhere, ie. AIB?

You are completely at liberty to apply for all 3 services at the same time, however you must submit entirely separate applications to each of the services & must declare you have current applications running.

My advice would be to apply for the one you want in order of preference, one at a time, rather than simultaneously as it would otherwise indicate you are not particularly fussed which job you get - it signals either desperation or uncertainty!

The thing is that each service is rightly proud of it's heritage &, to my mind, the Corps are looking for people who will accept nothing but the Corps.

The guy I interviewed, although he had passed AOSB (you're not guaranteed which regiment you join, but state 3 preferences for the Army), decided that the Marines offered him the challenge he sought. Obviously, I'd say the same if I was applying for any job also, but in this case he had rejected the job offer and opted to join the Corps instead.

Luke023

Reaction score
That's exactly how I feel. They must be some crazy 16 year olds out there.

haha you just made me feel crazy, i passed my prmc and start RT on sept 15.
i could have gone to college and maybe got A levels but the oppourtunity to leave home and fufil my dreams was to hard to turn down.

S

Sotiris

:applaus: well done mate. Passing PRMC at your age, I'm assuming you're a young-un, is an incredible acomplishment. However I was talking about those individuals who pass the AIB and more incredibly the one's who get the sponsorship.

Nevertheless I think it's amazing what you've done. Hell...compare yourself to your mates of the same age...or even people you know who piss around in uni until they're mid 20's...useless fools who spend their time in a drunken stupor doing absolutely bugger all for anyone.

Argh I'm going to bug out before this escalates into a full blown rant.

Well done!!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes but passing Officer selection at 16 is quite a challenge in comparison to the PRMC, they require a lot of you.

You can apply though as much as you want. Apparently a pass at AOSB guarantees you a place as Sandhurst within the next 7 years, so you can book a place for whenever you want. I've heard of a few guys that have done the AOSB and the AIB.

If possible I would like to do the AOSB within the next two years, it would leave my options open and be good practise for the AIB. You can also get a scholarship/bursary like this, with so much money being given per year at University (OTC) and a lump sum on entry to Sandhurst.

From what I have seen, the AIB looks more difficult and grilling than the AOSB, though still challenging. I did some of tests for AOSB (Verbal reasoning, logic I think, and Maths) which where fairly easy at 16, so I think with some practise and a few more years of study I would ace them.

By the way Ninja, would you say that a vocational degree would be helpful, particularly on the AOSB? I'm doing Computer Science, which tries to teach a lot of problem solving skills, core logic and mathematics, then team projects and presentations, professional report writing and industrial placements in businesses (I'm going to apply for the Microsoft student placement), which I hope should provide me with some useful experience.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The only military trades that require a vocational degree are Doctors, Dental, Chaplain, Nurses, (Vets- Army only), (Legal- RAF only) & Engineering (Mechanical or Information Systems).

All other Officer trades accept non-vocational degrees. On my last ship, my last Principal Warfare Officer had a degree in Theology, for example. A degree in military history, for example, would have placed him at no more advantage than the next graduate applicant.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The only military trades that require a vocational degree are Doctors, Dental, Chaplain, Nurses, (Vets- Army only), (Legal- RAF only) & Engineering (Mechanical or Information Systems).

All other Officer trades accept non-vocational degrees. On my last ship, my last Principal Warfare Officer had a degree in Theology, for example.

I didn't mean in terms of eligibility. I meant in usefullness in the application process. Maths for example is not my strong point but this will help me improve it. I imagine some applicants with degrees in Maths and Physics would have a good chance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shire Transitioning from 6th form to RM General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 13
hcjlevitt 6th form schorlaship POC Section 1
C 6th form scholarship POC Section 14