7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs

lewdog29

Reaction score
was *text deleted* put this no Stacka's diet thread but since its been locked I thought I'd create this one.. Here are 7 tips suggested by John Beradi PhD on how to eat properly. This guy is well known in the sport science world and is considered the go to guy for many many world class athletes. I suggest you take a look at his website johnberadi.com and read some of his stuff you should find something useful.

7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs:

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
So what about calories, or macronutrient ratios, or any number of other things that I’ve covered in other articles? The short answer is that if you aren’t already practicing the above-mentioned habits, and by practicing them I mean putting them to use over 90% of the time (i.e., no more than 4 meals out of an average 42 meals per week violate any of those rules), everything else is pretty pointless.

the full article can be found here:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good, but it's a bit difficult to get all these measurements from the food you eat. Is there an example where it lists all of the types of meals you should be eating throughout the day?

lewdog29

Reaction score
hey chris I'm a sport scientist and personal trainer. Starting my masters at Loughborough university or Kings college in September..havn't decided yet.

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
nice another sports scientist, jus finished my degree was thinking about the masters at UWIC but decided on the marines instead :bud:

lewdog29

Reaction score
haha I'm *text deleted* get the masters out of the way first before I apply!

Leedham

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.
[/QUOTE]

What about complex carbs? over half of what i eat are carbs that come from pasta rice and bread :dinner:

lewdog29

Reaction score
pasta rice and bread arn't the best carbs to have and should be eaten pre or post workout or in the morning. The insulin spike that you get from eating these carbs is only favourable at these times. Scheduling your simple sugars around your training will greatly improve your insulin sensitivity and body composition.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good carbohydrates for an evening time are Weetabix e.t.c.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not seen this posted so I thought I would post it here. Here's a good site for counting Calories and monitoring food intake, which will help you sort out your diet: www.fitday.com

It takes a while to enter all the foods in but is handy.