Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

9 Mile Speed March Time for Officers

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Trooper149, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi there

Just wandering what the completion time for the 9 Mile Speed March was for officers? I understand it is 90 minutes/10 minute mile pace for OR havent seen anything for Officers.

Cheers

Edit: Also is there any significant difference in the training structure between OR and YO? E.g. extra field exercises, lectures, etc?

Thanks again

2. EvenParasHaveHeroes

EvenParasHaveHeroes Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    It is the same, but after completion a troop attack is conducted.

The training of YO's consist on 5 phases

1-Initial training (16 weeks) - Focusing on individual core soldering skills.
    2-Tactics and doctrine training (12 weeks)- Focusing section and then troop level tactics.
    3-FIBUA (fighting in built up areas) and commando tests (6 weeks) - what it says on the tin

Up to this point the training is quite similar to OR training and mainly covers the same material. One of the main differences is that understandably more is expected of the average YO than OR in training. After completing the commando tests and receiving the green beret training continues and focuses more on orders and man management.

4- Advanced military management (do not know how long this phase is)- Focus on man management, academic study and a 3 week deployment to the USA on exercise Virginia tempest.

5- Unit management, exercise planning and final exercise (do not know how long this phase but phases 4&5 must last about 26 weeks)- Focusing on administive skills and exercise planning ending with exercise Final Nail where you will draw on everything you have learnt to command fully trained commandos.

After completing the 60 week training and passing out you then take command of a troop with an experienced troop Sgt helping you keep on the straight and narrow.

• Like Like x 3
  3. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    All of this information is about without asking bespoke questions on this forum for every query. There is something to be said for being a serial lurker.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Many thanks for the information. I noticed that the exercises have largely different names aswell.

Edit: The training pipeline I have, just always handy to get extra perspective. As for the 9 Mile Speed March parameters, I couldn't see that anywhere.

5. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
  6. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    As far as I can tell nobody is expecting or wanting you to do something as pointless as memorising the name of every exercise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @EvenParasHaveHeroes

During your SIFT interview, what stuff would you say is useful knowing? So far I have covered:
    RM Structure
    Basic History
    Equipment
    Current Affairs
    YO Training Pipeline

Anything else you think is necessary?

8. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Yeah, pretty much there. I would just include to brushing up on how the RM fits into The RN with the RN current objectives and the role of a troop commander.

What I keep coming across though is how the recruitment process is moving away from a factual line of questioning in interviews and towards gaining a better understanding of your emotional maturity ect with b*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**t questions like the ones found in that questionnaire we all had to fill-in at the beginning of this application process.

Needless to say I would of preferred the way it was, not a very British trait to enjoy talking about yourself openly and maturely without heavy reliance on self depreciation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    A topical line of discussion will include the future commando force.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Shall certainly start brushing.

You are correct.

My SIFT has sort of been divided into two parts. Partly because I inquired about POC straight after PRMC, and so they got me in an interview at short notice. As such, I didn't have much time to prepare.

During the interview, it did surprise me how much the interviewer "probed" (don't laugh) into how I view myself, responsibility, etc. Fortunately, I felt more confident on those parts. He asked me more info on the corps and that is where I was a bit weak, hence the queries.

Got SIFT part 2 over the phone on Thursday so just want to make sure I know what is relevant.

11. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    What confuses me is why you have had to undertake a PRMC and I did not.

An interview over the phone must be an interesting experience, have it on loudspeaker with a helper and the internet of things on standby.;)

Also good look getting on this years batch, the wheels of MOD recruitment turn bloody slowly.

12. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    In defense of them, I was undertaking PRMC with a view to going in as OR, but had a change of perspective so inquired about YO. It basically went:
    -asked AFCO about YO
    -he gave me the number for the YO Careers Officer
    -had a chat with the YO Careers Officer over the phone
    -came in for an interview 5 days later, was given some feedback and organised 1 final phone call to test my knowledge.
    -got phoneterview on Thursday

Hope to get in this years batch, otherwise OR it is, turning 25 this July :)

13. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Well with any luck I'll be seeing you this September. If not at least we will both possess major respect for our OC's during our time as OR's.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Roger to that mate

• Like Like x 1
  15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

All speed marches are carried out at 10 minute mile pace and is the same for YOs and ORs.
    Endurance Course is 73 mins for ORs and 71 for YOs
    Tarzan/Assault is 13 mins for ORs and 12 for YOs
    30 miler is 8 hours for ORs and 7 hours for YOs.

Fairly sure that the above is correct.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  16. Flubberdog

Flubberdog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It is, but as I understand it the 9M speedmarch is on a different and more uphill course for the YOs. Oh and the YO syndicates have to navigate their own way on the 30 miler.

Good luck gents!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I'm not sure when the TT started accompanying Nods on the 30 miler, but when I went through we also had to navigate our own way in syndicates of three. It was somewhat disconcerting to see another syndicate 500 metres away going on a different bearing. DS only joined us for the last 5 miles. Regardless, it's still a hard test.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  18. Flubberdog

Flubberdog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It was somewhat disconcerting to see another syndicate 500 metres away going on a different bearing.

Alan[/QUOTE]

Love it!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A metaphor for my entire life. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC