9mm Pistol

ChrisL

Reaction score
Do all RMs carry a side arm in Afghanistan like a 9mm! because you only see a few Royals wearing the holster....?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Current issue sidearm: Browing Hi-Power 9mm

Not sure who it's issued to, or how. Personally a .45 would be more useful, but meh, guess a 9mm is fine for pointblank to the face work :huh:

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
to be honset do the RM really need a side arm? after thay are the elite and the best in the world. mind u they do av the SA80. and also wud any1 ever get that close to the tailban?
chrz stewie

ChrisL

Reaction score
Ye maybe the taliban wont get close but having 1 holstered roung your leg looks awesome! But a 9 might come in handy in an ambush if you run out of ammo

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* sorry what i was sayin is that y do they need a 9mm pistol? we should let the tailban get that close. plus if they raid a tailban strong hold would the SA80s not be sufficient?
stewie

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
They may run out of ammo in the SA80, also the order to fix bayonets has been given several times with the RM in Afghan, so the possibility is yes, they get that close.

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Really sh*t i didnt no that:eek:h: well thats put me in my place *text deleted* have they had to use the bayonets?
stewie

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Doubt a royal will come out and tell you in intricate detail on how they killed someone *text deleted* *text deleted*.

But probably has happened, pistols should be given to all trained soldiers *text deleted*, some situations call for it.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I seem to remember that American Paratroopers during WW2 could pay some money and be given a .45 Colt. Might be a good idea for the British Forces, if the reason all soldiers aren't issued a sidearm is because of cost. If we bought a pile of Sigs in bulk, it could only end up costing like £100.

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The Sig 228 is replacing the Browing, if your in SF/SFSG/PF/under DSF/sniper/machine gunner, you'll be getting a Sig

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was just officers who got side arms,
I'd pay the extra for one though if it was possible.

John_Lar

Reaction score
I don't think they'd ever be close enough to use a 9mm *text deleted*.

chrystal19

Reaction score
How about we concentrate on passing our PRMC's and worry about RT, rather than what kind of pistol you may or may not have, and whether you'd pay for one or not.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
How about we concentrate on passing our PRMC's and worry about RT, rather than what kind of pistol you may or may not have, and whether you'd pay for one or not.
Bit unfair, don't you think?

We're just having a discussion, as people who're interested in becoming Royal Marines, and obviously very interested in guns. Why not talk about them? If everyone on here limited themselves to posts about RT and PRMC, we'd have about a tenth of the threads.

I'm sure there's lots of people like me who use this site as 'entertainment.' I don't have much to do in my life at the moment other than work, sleep and train. I enjoy coming on here and talking to like-minded people about topics I'm interested in.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
9mm pistol strapped to my leg along with fully weighted webbing!? I'd rather take the extra rounds for the SA80.
It might look cool, but I can imagine it proving to be a nightmare whilst running. One more piece of equipment you would have to regularly clean.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Bit unfair, don't you think?

We're just having a discussion, as people who're interested in becoming Royal Marines, and obviously very interested in guns. Why not talk about them? If everyone on here limited themselves to posts about RT and PRMC, we'd have about a tenth of the threads.

I'm sure there's lots of people like me who use this site as 'entertainment.' I don't have much to do in my life at the moment other than work, sleep and train. I enjoy coming on here and talking to like-minded people about topics I'm interested in.
In my opinion I use this site to help me train and motivate myself to become a RM. I didn't think talking about guns was necessary to do this.

I found one of your comments a bit weird - "as people who're interested in becoming Royal Marines, and obviously very interested in guns". I personally think they're mutually exclusive.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Theres no problem in asking about the job you will be doing, wether its using a pistol or what, yes you have to pass PRMC and RT first, but its like any job - you will have questions about what you do and use when you are fully qualified.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Look, as RM it's obvious that we're going to come into contact with all kinds of weapons. Would you come out with this PRMC and RT bull*text deleted**text deleted* if I started a discussion on the SA80A3?

You can't say that my suggestion was "bull*text deleted**text deleted*". It is common sense to prioritise PRMC and RT over side-arms when people haven't even got to PRMC. That's all.