9th september 2008

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys, im writing this diary *text deleted* i used to love reading other peoples so im going to give other people the oppertunity to read mine.

at exeter station there was about 15 of us and when the train came to take us to lympstone i think we were all nervous. a few stops later the assault course came into sight and the train stopped. i was the first off the train and i dragged my bag (it had wheels) to the gate and waited. the guard let us in and we followed the path up and then waited for about 10 mins for a corporal to tell us we were the last to come and everyone else was eating there dinner. we put our bags in our accomidation and set off to the galley (food place). the food is very good and theres alot of it so tuck in lads! after we chilled abit in our accomidation and got our kit together. (get in first to get the best stuff) the corprall talked and some of us had to do maths and english tests (not me). then we had a shower which was an experiance :unsure::blink::huh: but u get used to it *text deleted*. then we all went to sleep and i had a good nights sleep.

day 1: woke up and did all our morning admin (sh*t, shower,shave) and ate more magnificent food . we get ready for our 3 mile run and then we taken to a car park and we warmed up. the first 1.5 mile was ok and we had a minuite rest, a *text deleted* , some encouraging words from the PTI and we were off for the best effort run back. all i can say is no-matter how bad u feel just dont give up or run too slow. the next test was gym test 1. bleep test , pressups, situps and pullups in that order. next the swimming assesment (not test). u have to jump of a board 3 meters high and i have a fear of heights so i found it hard. my advice is step of the board and let gravity do its thing! u then swim a length a width and another length. that was the pysical side of the day done the rest was lectures and stuff.

day 2: same morning routine (getting used to it now) and we were off to do the commando slide. i was sh*tting myself as i dont like heights and it was worse when we were there. i didnt know how i was going to do it. my turn came and i put on the harness. and ran toward the tower , it was getting bigger as i got closer (obvously *text deleted*) and i felt i was going to release alot of material from my rear. as i climbed the ladder my heart was thumping and when i got to the top i was suprised at how high it was. i stood on the edge and placed my bit of rope around the rope:)huh:). when the instructer said launch i just threw myself out and didnt relise what i had done till i was on the ground agen. i thought it was brilliant! next to the high obstacle course. u r taught how to pull urself along a rope and then u go to the obstacle. u go up a ladder thingy and theres a rope u pull urself along. then u go higher and there is a plank with a bit missing in the middle. go across as confidently as u can. i had to do it 4 times!! then u go a little higher and theres another rope to go across, just keep calm and ull be fine. i loved this as my fear of heights made this far more exiting! i have now lost my fear of heights! then we got shown our way around the assault course and did a timed run. i loved this aswell! then the determination test which is like sprinting up hills and getting into the pool and pressups , situps , squat thrusts etc. then we were doing drags - running while dragging people in different positions , this was unbelivelbly hard - people were throwing up and collapsing - but just take it a step at a time and u will be proud of what u can acheive. after this hell we lay on our backs and had to lift our legs of the ground 6 inches of the ground for a min, because no one dropped there legs we were allowed to go - a happy moment indeed!
later instead of gym test 2 we were taken to the swimming pool and did team exersizes in there involving kiyaks, swimming with clothes , diving etc. once this was finished that was all the tests over!!!!

the next day the ones who passed were told so and we were given our certificates.

my results were as follows :3 miler - 1.5 mile best effort 9:23
bleep test - 11.6
pressups - 49 situps - 68 pullups - 7 (1 extra)
assault course - 3:42

some tips:
* make sure u call a marine by his rank , if u dont know there rank say "staff"

*dont scratch in the gym , i had to do 20 pressups just before i started the pressup test!

*dont touch the corporals , someone made this mistake and the corporal was very angry!

*no matter how badly u want to do not give up! trust me , u will at some point want to but just keep going!

*remember - every exersize session will end so just push thu !!

any questions just ask

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys, im writing this diary *text deleted* i used to love reading other peoples so im going to give other people the oppertunity to read mine.

at exeter station there was about 15 of us and when the train came to take us to lympstone i think we were all nervous. a few stops later the assault course came into sight and the train stopped. i was the first off the train and i dragged my bag (it had wheels) to the gate and waited. the guard let us in and we followed the path up and then waited for about 10 mins for a corporal to tell us we were the last to come and everyone else was eating there dinner. we put our bags in our accomidation and set off to the galley (food place). the food is very good and theres alot of it so tuck in lads! after we chilled abit in our accomidation and got our kit together. (get in first to get the best stuff) the corprall talked and some of us had to do maths and english tests (not me). then we had a shower which was an experiance :unsure::blink::huh: but u get used to it *text deleted*. then we all went to sleep and i had a good nights sleep.

day 1: woke up and did all our morning admin (sh*t, shower,shave) and ate more magnificent food . we get ready for our 3 mile run and then we taken to a car park and we warmed up. the first 1.5 mile was ok and we had a minuite rest, a *text deleted* , some encouraging words from the PTI and we were off for the best effort run back. all i can say is no-matter how bad u feel just dont give up or run too slow. the next test was gym test 1. bleep test , pressups, situps and pullups in that order. next the swimming assesment (not test). u have to jump of a board 3 meters high and i have a fear of heights so i found it hard. my advice is step of the board and let gravity do its thing! u then swim a length a width and another length. that was the pysical side of the day done the rest was lectures and stuff.

day 2: same morning routine (getting used to it now) and we were off to do the commando slide. i was sh*tting myself as i dont like heights and it was worse when we were there. i didnt know how i was going to do it. my turn came and i put on the harness. and ran toward the tower , it was getting bigger as i got closer (obvously *text deleted*) and i felt i was going to release alot of material from my rear. as i climbed the ladder my heart was thumping and when i got to the top i was suprised at how high it was. i stood on the edge and placed my bit of rope around the rope:)huh:). when the instructer said launch i just threw myself out and didnt relise what i had done till i was on the ground agen. i thought it was brilliant! next to the high obstacle course. u r taught how to pull urself along a rope and then u go to the obstacle. u go up a ladder thingy and theres a rope u pull urself along. then u go higher and there is a plank with a bit missing in the middle. go across as confidently as u can. i had to do it 4 times!! then u go a little higher and theres another rope to go across, just keep calm and ull be fine. i loved this as my fear of heights made this far more exiting! i have now lost my fear of heights! then we got shown our way around the assault course and did a timed run. i loved this aswell! then the determination test which is like sprinting up hills and getting into the pool and pressups , situps , squat thrusts etc. then we were doing drags - running while dragging people in different positions , this was unbelivelbly hard - people were throwing up and collapsing - but just take it a step at a time and u will be proud of what u can acheive. after this hell we lay on our backs and had to lift our legs of the ground 6 inches of the ground for a min, because no one dropped there legs we were allowed to go - a happy moment indeed!
later instead of gym test 2 we were taken to the swimming pool and did team exersizes in there involving kiyaks, swimming with clothes , diving etc. once this was finished that was all the tests over!!!!

the next day the ones who passed were told so and we were given our certificates.

my results were as follows :3 miler - 1.5 mile best effort 9:23
bleep test - 11.6
pressups - 49 situps - 68 pullups - 7 (1 extra)
assault course - 3:42

some tips:
* make sure u call a marine by his rank , if u dont know there rank say "staff"

*dont scratch in the gym , i had to do 20 pressups just before i started the pressup test!

*dont touch the corporals , someone made this mistake and the corporal was very angry!

*no matter how badly u want to do not give up! trust me , u will at some point want to but just keep going!

*remember - every exersize session will end so just push thu !!

any questions just ask

Nice post mate and well done for passing it.

All the best in RT.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great diary. For breakfast, did you have cooked or cereal? I've heard if you have too much of either though it can make your stomach feel bad when you're running about.

Oh and another thing why didn't you do the gym test 2? You lucky sod, I hear that and bottom hill are the worst parts.

Great effort and hope you passout as a royal marine.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you didnt have to do gym test 2! you lucky *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** *text deleted*, gym test two was bad. congrats

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
thanks lads yea the swimming instead of gym test two was hard but proper fun everyone tipping in kiyaks nd stuff *text deleted*. nacnud in the morning i had a fryup and i had wheatabix! just ate as much as what is humanly possible *text deleted*

jczopczyc123

Reaction score
we didnt have 2 do anything for day 2 afternoon!! we got 2 just chill out with all the lads and had a right laugh

TommyK

Reaction score
Excellent diary mate, and well done again for passing

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i had a fear of heights and i remember that that is what i was worrying about the most so if anyone has a fear of heights i can tell u what it is like there.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
good stuff mate that is awesome, well done for successful completion! I take it you still don't know your RT date? When will you get it?

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i dont have a date yet my afco just told me to wait for a phone call sometime

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
spartan mate,
ive herd in other posts that *text deleted* 16. Im in year 11 and was wondering if you got any stick for being so young? also how wel did u do in gcse's if ya dont mind me asking?

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is gym test 2 gone from PRMC then?

I hope so *text deleted*. Anyway, i dont think they'd have a problem with a 16 year old, if you're mature enough and have the right attitude, then i think you are definitely not a problem.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
spartan mate,
ive herd in other posts that *text deleted* 16. Im in year 11 and was wondering if you got any stick for being so young? also how wel did u do in gcse's if ya dont mind me asking?

yea im 16 which make passing all the more sweet *text deleted* :cheesy: no i never got any stick , age doesnt matter we all got on well i even fired into the pubs with everyone else :rock:. im from scotland so i dont do gcse's i did intermediate 2's which are between gcse and A level. i got :maths - A
biology - A
chemistry - A
physics - A
english - B

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cheers spartan, i really *text deleted* join when i leave school.....but because im predicted As n Bs in my exams alot of people have told me its a waste to not go uni(sounds snobby *text deleted*). to hear someone with same sorta exam results is really reassuring

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
sound *text deleted* , people were saying the same things to me but i just attacked them with a baseball bat! :laugh: not realy i just said this is what i want to do so im *text deleted* do it

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
sound, good luck wi rt and let us know how u get on

willetts_123

Reaction score
how long did *text deleted* determination test last .did people wrap in on it or keep goin..n wat type of things did u do in it...

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i dont know how long it lasts but around 20 mins , nobody wrapped on mine. we did sprints up hills , pressups, situps, etc. we got wet in the monkeybars pool and we had to drag each other which was extreme , to finish off we had to lie on our backs and have our legs 6 inches of the ground straight out for one min and if anyone dropped there legs we would have 10 secs rest then do it agen but noone dropped there legs so that was the end.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L September 9th RT batch General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 0
Quack24 9th September Recruit Troops 1
Shepard 722 PRMC 9th September PRMC Diaries archived 48