Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

A dangerous situation and how you responded to it

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by c4libre, Jan 28, 2020.

1. c4libre

c4libre Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Interested to see if anyone has any stories they might want to share.

2. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Punch first or run fast normally seems to work for me depending on how dangerous:D

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I lived with an ex girlfriend once, and one day, I forgot to do the dishes before she came home from work.

My hearing hasn’t been the same since...

• Like Like x 2
  4. DJANGO

DJANGO Valuable Contributor

I went over to see my ex wife at her work Christmas do one year. We were having a good time until these goons broke in and started trying to rob the place. That got pretty dangerous. One thing led to another and I chucked professor snape out the window.

Yippee kiyay, monkey fighter!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Not sure what your motives are for this thread, but I'll join in.

This morning I climbed a step stool to change a light bulb and found that quite hairy. I got out of the situation by calling my wife to rescue me, which she did by offering her hand while I stepped down and then when back on terra firma called me a *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* for putting myself in harms way.

Does that qualify?

Alan

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  6. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

I think if you have posted this hoping to hear some war stories you might be a bit disappointed...

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  7. c4libre

c4libre Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    No, just thought it would be a good thread idea

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  8. c4libre

c4libre Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I decided to make this thread as ive been reading chris ryans book "safe", which is about keeping yourself safe from dangers and threats that you could face in modern urban life (e.g. muggings, burglaries)

I thought the topic might be of interest to people here or people may have experiences themselves where they have faced a dangerous situation that they might want to share.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Here's one from me. When at a railway station stand well back from the platform edge. Communal environments often attract individuals who behave unpredictably, not always with malicious intent but perhaps because a medication regime has fallen apart. Seriously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  10. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

To be honest, any hope you may have had of reading war stories are quickly disappearing into the rear view mirror. You’ll find those with operational experiences don’t tend to share them so candidly outside of a military environment, for a variety of reasons. Nonetheless, I understand your intentions. I always find that the “two ears, one mouth” adage works a treat.

Hopefully you will never be a victim of anything too dangerous. However, if taking some time out and thinking about how you would act in different situations works for you, then that’s fair. It is better to consider this now, than have to think about it if it happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well I guess you could try never leaving your house, that should negate a fair number of chance encounters. In the event that isn’t possible then perhaps buy an industrial amount of bubble wrap, apply liberally head to toe and perhaps top off with a crash helmet for good measure!
    Or exercise common sense and try very hard to avoid putting yourself in potentially troublesome situations;)

12. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @c4libre

I assume by “dangerous situation” you mean other people?

I live in the nice-ish part of a fairly deprived and rough area, so while I am fairly “safe” at home, once I head out, it becomes less so. Stabbings and beatings are certainly not an infrequent occurrence within a couple of miles of my home. There is also a large amount of anti-social behaviour where I live.

Fairly frequently I come across “hoodies,” and yobs, and groups that appear threatening. I’ve always believed that those who wish to do harm in groups, are generally just bullies and cowards. They will tend to gravitate towards those who look like an easy target, an easy win etc.

Confidence, presence of mind, and awareness of ones surroundings can go a long way in keeping oneself safe from day to day threats. If you walk with purpose, and look like you have something about yourself, regardless of physical stature, people who wish to do harm will leave you alone.

It’s my opinion that knowing how to avoid, and worst case, de-escalate situations, is best.

• Like Like x 4
  13. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Unless they happen to be off their faces on drink or drugs of course:)

14. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Haha yes, in which case, run! :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moonduster

Moonduster Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Remember that you can use self-defence if you feel it is necessary. The law states you can use reasonable force to protect yourself, protect another person, protect your property, prevent crime or assist in the lawful arrest of a criminal.

What is ‘reasonable’ in any situation will depend on the circumstances and the scale of the threat you are facing. Broadly, for force to be reasonable it must be necessary and proportionate. You must be able to justify any action you take as reasonable, proportionate and necessary in the circumstances. Remember, you can defend yourself but it is illegal to carry an offensive weapon.

As the old saying goes - 99% of all street fights are 100% avoidable.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Funny you ask this.

A week ago I was walking down the street. The sun was shining, the sky was fresh with a gentle blue and the streets were a bustle with a hum of hearty laughter and joy.

But that was to change.

15m directly ahead of me was my ex, here eyes perusing her smartphone with a heated intent. Known for her sadistic, extroverted sense of humour and cruelty, and her notorious hatred of her charismatic ex boyfriend, I knew I had to escape.

I assessed the situation. I couldn't cross the road, there was traffic. I couldn't turn back, there was an upwards gradient. I couldn't tilt my hat, I didn't have one. I couldn't kneel down to tie my shoe and thus conceal my face, it was already tied.

At 10m and closing, I felt my throat tighten in anticipation of imminent doom, strengthening its clasp around my neck. Alas, I was ready to accept the inevitable.

However, by miracle, I spotted a side alley at 5m equidistance from me and her, and she was still perusing her phone, unbeknownst to my presence. So I assessed, and construed one final plan, to end this turmoil, once and for all. I was going to wait for the side alley.

5m, 4m, 3m, 2m, 1m and...

I combat rolled into the side alley, through a puddle, over a discarded condom, landing fairly and squarly with a face plant into a wall.

With a grazed face and ego, I lay there, I was finished. I heard the sound of her claws approach the entrance to the alley. All I could do was close my eyes and accept destiny.

Her claws approached the entrance and stopped, while she took a call from another of her pack of she-wolves. I could feel my heartbeat in my chest, wishing I could silence it forever. 5 seconds passed, 10 seconds, 15 seconds.

After what seemed the gods eternity, she moved off. I got up, dusted myself off and when the coast was clear, I moved on, eyes sharp for any other predators.

A few days later, I was speaking to a friend of a friend of a friend of my ex. He reported that a few days prior, she had been walking down the street, on the phone to a friend, when she had come across a hobo lying in a puddle, down a side alley. Apparently she was unsure whether to help him or not.

I just casually sipped my beer and said "some people just don't know how to handle lifes decisions".

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  18. DJANGO

DJANGO Valuable Contributor

QUOTE="Johnny_Anonie, post: 698853, member: 29597"]Remember that you can use self-defence if you feel it is necessary. The law states you can use reasonable force to protect yourself, protect another person, protect your property, prevent crime or assist in the lawful arrest of a criminal.

What is ‘reasonable’ in any situation will depend on the circumstances and the scale of the threat you are facing. Broadly, for force to be reasonable it must be necessary and proportionate. You must be able to justify any action you take as reasonable, proportionate and necessary in the circumstances. Remember, you can defend yourself but it is illegal to carry an offensive weapon.

As the old saying goes - 99% of all street fights are 100% avoidable.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me that a few weeks ago I was driving into Nottingham some anus decided to start getting right up the rear end of my car and swearing at me out the window! Pulled up at some lights and he starts giving it large by shouting 'what' out his window at me.

I'm glad I was with my girlfriend to be honest because in other circumstances I would have no doubt jumped out my own car and promptly been filled in at the side of the road -nailbiting-

Anyway just goes to show (me, anyway) as a wise man once said, 'don't start none, won't be none'

19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Broadening the scope from "dangerous" to 'difficult':

A common question in recruitment generally is: Describe a work colleague scenario which was difficult and caused a dilemma. How did you deal with it?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I pray that when others are asked this, I am not the “difficult” they choose to describe! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1