a few little tips for when training for prmc

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
1. Time your runs - you may not like to but at the end of the day if you dont your stupid, you need to know how fast your running and find a average pace.

2. Test and count the amount of press and sit ups you do on a regular basis - an obvious one i know but you wont beleive the amount of people who say "yeah i dont count my press ups i just do them and hope i will do good on the day", these sort of people never really make any progress because they never know their max and can never push out just that one more because they could be pushing out 1 more and getting 41 then pushing out 1 more about a week later and getting 31 but thinking they are acctually doing better. plus you need to do sets of press and sit ups to make any progress not just do a random amount of max out 3 times. its pointless. so COUNT AND TIME

3. Do loads of ab work - it makes life easier basically.

4. Dont do long distance runs all the time - this one really gets on my t*ts, people say they go on 6 mile runs and dont really time 3 mile runs. these people DO fail prmc as i found on my prmc. you run at a different pace when doing 3 mile and 6 mile runs. your mind will know your running 6 miles so will conserve energy and you wont be able to perform very well over the first or even the last 3 miles. therefore making no progress in speed, just endurance. long distance runs once or twice a week are fine, 5 to 10 miles no more no less.

5. Sprints, sprints, sprints - do lots of them, lots of sprint training, they increase your speed on any sort of run really well and train your body to give out sudden bursts of energy even when your nackered. interval training is the best along with hill sprints, twice a week is sufficient.

6. Run 4 miles not 3 - this helped me loads, do a 1 mile warm up, nice steady pace and try and make it up hill. then do 1.5 in 12:30 or slightly faster then do 1.5 best effort aiming for 10:30 or under, do this on every run. reason being is your not going to be running 3 miles at one pace the whole way so you need to train your body to go faster for the last 1.5, and yes you will see progress, i went from 10:33 to 9:20 using this technique.

7. get used to not wipeing sweat off you - your body sweats to help cool you down so it makes sense to leave it where it is so your body can cool down and plus your not allowed to when your in the gym on prmc.

hope this helps to anyone who reads it.

S

Sotiris

Ah....yes...forgive me while I slap myself :doh:.

Just read your signature.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I take it you've just done your PRMC then. How'd it go?

went well,
i got....

last 1.5 of 3 miler: 9:26 (19th)
bleep test: 12.4
press ups: 64
sit ups: 61
pull ups: 2 (slipped off and was not pleased)
assault course: 3:35

going into RT on 5th Jan 981 troop, woop. really wanted to get christmas out the way because i may not want to go back after christmas leave if i do foundation first. plus i can get most of my kitlist for RT for Christmas.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
7. get used to not wipeing sweat off you - your body sweats to help cool you down so it makes sense to leave it where it is so your body can cool down and plus your not allowed to when your in the gym on prmc.

hope this helps to anyone who reads it.

whats that all about #??

u can not wipe your sweat off ?? thats nuts ! WHY ?

Ben

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeh discipline, you get beasted quite badly if you wipe sweat, scratch, pick your arse etc

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i dont mind not wiping sweat of but when it gets in your eyes it stings like a biatch

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
whats that all about #??

u can not wipe your sweat off ?? thats nuts ! WHY ?

Ben

there are a couple of reaons. the first is the one they gave me. your body sweats to cool itself down. some of you may of noticed that whilst your running along you get a little hot, and eventually start to sweat, you then start to cool down slightly, this is because the sweat on the outside of your body acts as a sort of cooler as it catches the wind and cools down to the temperature outside of your body thus cooling your body down. (i really hope that makes sense)

its like chucking a big bucket of water over yourself when your boiling hot, you dont want to dry the water off because its cooling you down and if you do you will just get hot again.

also as said above its about discipline. think about when your in an ambush or observation position on a really hot day and your sweating worse than a pedo in a primary school, if you move your hand to wipe sweat off your face you could be seen by an enemy watching the area your in.

you'll probably be thinking well if i was in that situation i wouldn't wipe sweat off my face anyway but acctually you probably would, i've seen it in cadets quite a bit, we lay in a mock ambush position and cadets fidget like theres no tomorrow, yet they have been taught a reason why things are seen is due to movement and that its important for them not to be seen whilst in the ambush position.

so they basically are getting you used to putting up with the sweat.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
very good point , ill have to remember that