A few officer questions!

Cress

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a few questions about officers and commandos - they've probably been answered already, but I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I am in my second year at uni at the moment, so I want to join for the September 2010 entry.

I've obviously got the qualifications to be an officer, but I don't know enough about what it is like to decide. It isn't the responsibility that I'm not sure about, it's the atmosphere and all that. I've read that the bonds and friendships that are formed are amazing, that there isn't a better place to make friends and bond with people. I want that from the marines, but I am worried that joining as an officer would mean missing out on a lot of that. What is the relationship like between officers and squaddies? How do they get on with each other - is there a respect between them? What kind of relationships outside of 'work' are there? Are officers and squaddies allowed to mix outside of work, or is there some kind of rule preventing it because officers are the ones who have to lead the rest?

I'm not sure about whether I want to be a career marine or not. I was thinking about serving three or four years then leaving and moving into something like the diplomatic service, which I've always loved. I want to join the RM for the challenge and to experience what it is actually like. Whatever I do, I want to do something in the Public sector, I want to do something that I love but something that helps other people at the same time. Do you think that serving in the RM until I am, say, 27 and then joining the diplomatic service or another government position would be better than simply joining after uni (I know that I would miss out on the RM, but I mean from a career view!). Would serving in the RM be a very positive addition for moving onto one of the places I mentioned, or would the fact that I am years behind everyone else outweigh the positives?

If I do stay on as a career offcier, what prospects do I have? Is it simply a matter of moving up the ranks within the RM, or is there an opportunity to transfer into something else, like the RN or a division of the army? I know in the army, you can move divisions and work in different areas. Would I simply be restricted to serving as either a platoon officer or a desk officer? Desks really don't do it for me! Thanks for reading this, I hope you guys can help!

James.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
at my prmc we were talking about this we had people that had been in RT and they said people dont like the YO *text deleted* there arrogant and stuck up (not my opinion , i just heard it)

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted* me thats a long post