Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

A few PRMC tips

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by Hubb97, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Afternoon, I just thought I'd do a quick thread with a few tips I gathered from doing last weeks PRMC, I've always gained loads of info from this forum so about time I gave something back. Not sure how long or short this is going to be as just going to write as it comes to me so bare with me!

- Don't worry about being nervous - If you're not nervous for your PRMC you're either lying or don't understand the importance of what it is you're about to undertake. It's perfectly natural and I personally was bricking it before every physical evolution so just accept it and give everything your best effort.
    - Don't stress about gym stats- Obviously these are important to an extent and you want to be scoring as high as you can. Just make sure your form is correct and try and get as close to the max as you can. I personally was dreading the bleep test as didn't do very well on a recent RMAD but ended up getting high 11's so this was ok- I didn't notice the floor being slippy at all. Trust me when I say that these tests are bliss in comparison to what comes on the next day!
    -Get towards the front on the 3 mile turn around point- They will ask if anyone needs a wee- don't go as you will end up at the back and could get stuck behind if you're a whippet, only have do hold it for another few minutes!
    Eat!- You get plenty of time between food and anything physical so make sure you cram it in!
    5 minutes early to every detail- Speaks for itself really, we never really got any 'extra phys' and had a really good course probably mainly down to everyone following instructions properly so make sure you're early to every evolution!
    Bring two towels and extra insoles- This so you can swap your wet towel with your dry one in the drying room- you'll be showing plenty of times a day throughout the week so you don't want to be using a wet towel all too often. Also a lot of the boots are missing insoles so maybe bring an extra set.
    Assault course- Pay extra attention to the demonstrations- I personally messed up the punch through the net multiple times mainly due to being awful at heights but make sure you pay attention to the correct way to cross all the obstacles. You'll do a few of them at a time then finally a full timed run through which is your last chance to earn points. I think I was quite slow due to taking about 3 years to get through the tunnels so if you can practice crawling before you come down!
    Try not to be at the back- This will highlight you to the PTI's which isn't what you want. Although I believe no one on our course ended up being withdrawn by the PTI'S, still try not to be last as it can get to you mentally. If you are at the back, use this as an opportunity to show determination and unless you are miles behind they will not pull you off!
    Don't quit- Speaks for itself, look around you, see how everyone else is in the exact same situation and remember why you're there. It will end eventually. (except the endurance course which goes on for ages:D)
    100% effort at all times- Again speaks for itself really.
    Get speaking with the other guys- If you're only going to take one point from this then it should be this one. We had such a strong course in that no one wanted to be 'that guy' to give up so get around each other and as in the diary, look after each other and you will be looked after yourself. A few of us had a whats app going which really helped to break the ice before we got down there so certainly look into doing this if you can.

Pretty much everything that comes to mind, anymore questions then let me know!
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 14
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Nod1201

Nod1201 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    One thing to add, if you can speak to your careers advisor about an RMAD (Royal Marines Aquaint Day) I went to one a week before my PRMC (with @Hubb97) and it showed a true representation of the scores I would be achieving when I went down to ctc. It also helped with the no fidgeting or talking when in the gym side of things as well, a lesson I learned the hard way.;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. jerseyjimbo

jerseyjimbo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers for the advice, maybe a silly question but are we allowed watches for the return 1.5 miles? I know its best effort but it'd be useful to know if we can keep track of our own times.

4. Clumsy

Clumsy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Depends on your PRMC Staff. I wouldn't anyway mate. Many others and I find that running with the group helps with the mental game. Just keep trying to overtake the next man, then the next man and so on. You'll almost definitely smash your PB. My best mock before RT was 9:15, but in RT with barely any sleep I got 8:28. If you wear a watch you'll go fast, look at it, start worrying your going to fast, worrying your going to burn out etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jerseyjimbo

jerseyjimbo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Good point, nice one Clumsy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Sorry just seen this but no you're not! I have a Garmin forerunner but didn't even end up taking it plus if you got caught with one you'll probably be in for a huge bollocking. There's no point trying to pace yourself anyway, my usual way is sprint off far too quickly and try and hang on!

• Like Like x 1
  7. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

Well done on passing mate! What stats did you get? Do you have a start date for RT?

How did you lads go about getting onto a RMAD? Do you have to pay for your travel etc? Don't know much about these at all.

8. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hey mate, thanks for the comment! If I remember they were
    9:09 run 11.8 bleep 60 press 85 sit 7 pull. Wasn' at all expecting to get max scores for press ups and sit ups so training press ups chest to floor and sit ups with your feet unanchored definitely helps! Nlt sure on assault course time but I'm guessing it was awful due to me being awful at crawling:D I start a week on Monday so looking forward to it!

As for the RMAD, my AFCO emailed me a few months back basically saying they run every month and to let them know if I wanted to go. They sorted my train tickets too which was nice! I'd say shoot your career advisor an email just to enquire if there's one running in your area! Best of luck with your app.

9. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

Great stats mate! Solid advice too, taken on board.

Best of luck for RT. Shock of capture is real just take it one day & one activity at a time. (I'm a recruit rejoin)

Thats wicked, definitely going to get into that!

Again, Best of luck dude!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah I’ve decided I’m *text deleted* take it one meal at a time;)
    Appreciate the support, best of luck to you also!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. lewp1

lewp1 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Some cracking advice on this thread from you mate! I've unfortunately been pushed back on medical for 4months due to a minor hand fracture, struggled with PJFT for ages, but now currently training with a friend who has just left the RM. hoping to have a PRMC around June/July time

12. Clumsy

Clumsy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Glad to help! That's not to bad, nearly everyone gets delayed mate. My SC took 8 months! I was starting to think my old mans a terrorist or something...

• Like Like x 2
  13. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

I know that pain! My SC has taken 7 months so far and still nothing, questioning my whole family seeing whos doing the dodgy haha

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Why would training situps with your feet unanchored help? I thought you had someone hold them down in the gym tests?

15. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    That is correct, but doing them unanchored in training will make them seem much easier when you actually come to doing the gym tests. For example in training I was struggling with sets of 30-40 unanchored but on the day managed to max out so it definitely helps.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  16. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Ah fair enough I'll have to try them more. Whenever I've attempted unanchored ones in the past I always end up having to shuffle my backside back into position every few reps.

• Like Like x 1
  17. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

I'll second what Hubb is saying about training them un-anchored, its solid advice (still do anchored every now and then)
    I like to warm up with around 10-15 anchored
    Max to fatigue un-anchored, rest a few mins
    Max to fatigue anchored
    Max half sits to fatigue

• Like Like x 3
  18. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Sounds good, should probably add too on the odd occasion I tried them anchored I got maybe into the 60's but on the day, when we got up to 50 one of the PTI's started shouting at me for something to do with form so I instantly forgot about everything and focused on him and by the time I refocussed we were into the high 70's and as far as I'm aware they didn't deduct any so a distraction definitely helps:D