A good pace for PJFT & Interview revision

MrJamesUp

Reaction score
Recently passed my medical and have my interview this coming Monday. After this will be the PJFT and was wondering if anyone knows a good average pace in mph i should be running at on the treadmil for both times. Been playing around a fair bit and running at 7.5mph for the entire 12mins managed to get me just under 1.5miles. My question is what speed should i set the treadmil to; to achieve 1.5 miles in under 10. (I know it this isnt an accurate number as many people would like to go 8.5mph then for the last .3 miles go 9.5mph, just want a rough idea). Also, talking about the interview. Ive been revising a lot on the marines as know the information about the crest badge, a couple memorable dates such as 1664, 1704 and 1761, marines birthday ocotober 28th, 1 VC, 32 weeks training with 4 modules, all 4 commandos tests, knowledge about 40, 42, 43 FPG (with trident) and 45 and the royal marines colours. Will i get asked all this at my interview or just a couple points? Thanks.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What about the other units of the Corps and of 3 CDO brigade, including 30 IX Cdo and CLR etc

Remember the first run is under 12:30, use the full time of it unless you find it harder

MrJamesUp

Reaction score
What about the other units of the Corps and of 3 CDO brigade, including 30 IX Cdo and CLR etc

Remember the first run is under 12:30, use the full time of it unless you find it harder
I know a fair amount about 3 commando brigade and 30 IX Group. Both based in plymouth in the stonehouse barracks. Reading about them and the other units etc. Just looking through the site and people who've gone through their interviews and to what i can see, they dont get asked much on the history of marines or knowledge, most of that seems to be at the prmc. My question was is there any complete vital information i need for the interview that is more than likely going to be asked. I know full well they'll ask, who are the RM's, can you name the units and where they're based and probably questions on the badge. But is this all they ask at the interview? Or could they possibly ask more, been told the interview is mainly about learning about you.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Never quite understood why they have the interview after passing the medical some times knowing that the medical hassle themselves are quite expensive so failing you on the interview wouldn't make much sense.

With regards to the interview think it just depends on the day what they ask when I had mine only got asked.

Parts of the beret?
Units are based?
Ships/helicopters marines use?
4 commando tests and times?
Prmc tests and times?
What are the marines up to now?

The rest was solely focused on my past what I like to do in spare time hobby/interests greatest achievement in life , biggest regret eg.

I'm sure you'll be fine!

The pjft times depends what you feel comfortable in really as each person is different.

Some may start off doing 10pmh and gradually lower then others may do it in 2minute parts.

Me personally I'd keep it on 15kph/9.4mph that gets you under 10 minutes then leave it at that so it doesn't confuse or worry you in the middle of the return if you've done enough.

*text deleted* what stats are you getting currently? Or are you passing the return under 10 minutes okay?

Good luck for Monday!

MrJamesUp

Reaction score
Never quite understood why they have the interview after passing the medical some times knowing that the medical hassle themselves are quite expensive so failing you on the interview wouldn't make much sense.

With regards to the interview think it just depends on the day what they ask when I had mine only got asked.

Parts of the beret?
Units are based?
Ships/helicopters marines use?
4 commando tests and times?
Prmc tests and times?
What are the marines up to now?

The rest was solely focused on my past what I like to do in spare time hobby/interests greatest achievement in life , biggest regret eg.

I'm sure you'll be fine!

The pjft times depends what you feel comfortable in really as each person is different.

Some may start off doing 10pmh and gradually lower then others may do it in 2minute parts.

Me personally I'd keep it on 15kph/9.4mph that gets you under 10 minutes then leave it at that so it doesn't confuse or worry you in the middle of the return if you've done enough.

*text deleted* what stats are you getting currently? Or are you passing the return under 10 minutes okay?

Good luck for Monday!
Thanks. Just need to revise on the ships and helicopters and i should be good by the sounds of it. currently do the first 12mins and 30 seconds easy. just put it to 7.5mph and it just about does it. Under 10 mins is a bit of trouble for me at this point of time. Came very close to doing but just scraped it and missed. by the sounds of it i could be doing my PJFT in the next 3 weeks (depending if i pass the interview). So hopefully with running and sprinting intervals every day with one rest a week so i dont damage my legs i should be set for the 2nd part. what do you think? been told that you shouldnt do running and rest two days before the PJFT.

One more question. What ships do the marines currently use? I cant seem to find a straight answer. thanks

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Just need to revise on the ships and helicopters and i should be good by the sounds of it. currently do the first 12mins and 30 seconds easy. just put it to 7.5mph and it just about does it. Under 10 mins is a bit of trouble for me at this point of time. Came very close to doing but just scraped it and missed. by the sounds of it i could be doing my PJFT in the next 3 weeks (depending if i pass the interview). So hopefully with running and sprinting intervals every day with one rest a week so i dont damage my legs i should be set for the 2nd part. what do you think? been told that you shouldnt do running and rest two days before the PJFT.

One more question. What ships do the marines currently use? I cant seem to find a straight answer. thanks

The helicopters are fairly easy to remember due to the names same with the ships what I did is just remember the ones that are easy to remember by name as there objects in other things you'll see what I mean when you look at them here's the link for the ships just click on the ships and they'll appear what they are and called
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipment/ships#destroyers

I think the second one is trouble for anyone no matter how fit you are it's always *text deleted* be a mental battle , when you have someone watching over you I, sure the adrenaline will take you through it!

I'm sure you'll be fine in the interview I'm pretty much in the same situation as you but I've done my interview and I have my medical on Tuesday so if I pass that could have the pjft within similar dates of each other!

I run on treadmills nearly everyday myself and find there absolute killers on the calfs just down to the treadmill itself , I've found going on the stepper treadmill helps alot to strengthen the quads which is handy to assist on your rest days on the treadmill you don't jog on it but you sweat and breathe twice as much!
Yea I agree with that if the pjft is on say a Wednesday I'd probably just have a few walks leading up to it on the Monday and Tuesday to keep them in use rather than resting them to much.
I took a week off from the gym few weeks ago and found when I got back it made me struggle more rather than give my body a rest so won't be doing thst again *text deleted*

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In 5 weeks I've gone from literally being unable to continue past 0.4 miles on the return, to getting a 9:36 return. A week ago I scraped it getting 10:17 and the day before yesterday got the 9:36.

Don't worry about the gap being to small, you can get great progress in such a short time, and I'm convinced the PJFT is a mental game, utterly convince yourself you can do it and you will. Just smash it.

MrJamesUp

Reaction score
In 5 weeks I've gone from literally being unable to continue past 0.4 miles on the return, to getting a 9:36 return. A week ago I scraped it getting 10:17 and the day before yesterday got the 9:36.

Don't worry about the gap being to small, you can get great progress in such a short time, and I'm convinced the PJFT is a mental game, utterly convince yourself you can do it and you will. Just smash it.
Yea exactly true, I love seeing results on the treadmill, everyday getting better. 100% agree it's a mental game. Once you can comfortably do the first part the second part can also be done with a strong mind. Good luck to you lad, best of luck