A levels and qualifications.. and annoying parents

lewiss

Reaction score
hey,

after having a think i've decided that i'd like to join the ranks at 16 (if mum and dad will let me :bully:).

I am eager to get out of school asap, but would realy like to have my A-levels or equivelant, so that if i ever what to try and pass POC i would have that option.

my questions are...

if i was to join at 16, would i be able to gain my A levels in the corps after i passed out of training?

Also i've found that by even mentioning joining the ranks mum crys and dad says... "why would you want to do that, what a waist of a good mind." (i'm a private school boy:bud:) does anyone have any tips on making this all sound better and promising to my rents?

i've asked these questions together as if i was able to gain my A levels in the marines i think my rents might say o.k.

thanks alot. lewis.

jay999

Reaction score
I think you can get educational credits which can go towards A levels. Why are you desperate to go in at 16?I would think strongly about going to college and getting your A levels, that is what I did before joining the corps and i definatly do not regret it.

robj

Reaction score
From what I know you can gain A-levels after passing out of training. One trained rank I spoke to also reckoned its possible to get any qualification up to and including a degree if you really want to. Its not A-levels but you do a key skills package during recruit training.
I have a degree and joined as a regular Marine, 3 or 4 other lads in our troop also had degrees, I'd say the majority of lads who were over 18 had A-levels (obviously the 16yr olds only had gcse's).

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I would do your studies first to be honest, there is no rush to join up. But i must ask why are you eager to get out of school?

roguesniper

Reaction score
yeah agree with chris. do your A levels first. i wanted to join up at 16 had annoying parents who wouldnt let me. so i did my A levels and going through the joining process now. cant really put a price on qualification and looks better if you have them applying for a job

lewiss

Reaction score
I would do your studies first to be honest, there is no rush to join up. But i must ask why are you eager to get out of school?

I simply hate everything about it *text deleted*. Obviously i will hack it for another two years if i must. Only it would have been great for me if the corps offered a chance to gain your A levels when your 17 and 18.

Am i right in understanding this is not the case, and the only chance at gaining any A-levels would have to be in my own free time?

robj

Reaction score
Am i right in understanding this is not the case, and the only chance at gaining any A-levels would have to be in my own free time?

Mate I am 99% sure you can do them after you pass out of training, not sure exactly how it works with regards to doing them in your spare time or whatever. I'm sure Ninja or someone who knows more would be able to answer this better.
My advice would be to do them in school though dude, its a ballache being stuck there for another year but opens up loads more options in the long term.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I simply hate everything about it *text deleted*. Obviously i will hack it for another two years if i must. Only it would have been great for me if the corps offered a chance to gain your A levels when your 17 and 18.

Hmmm i know what your going through with school i had the exact same problem and i dropped out at 16 but back home we dont have a GCSE level, so to the world i was just an uneducated fool...I was able to get work but i eventually had to start night and weekend classes to get an education since i could just not get any advancement or even get my foot into the door for most higher paying jobs...its a bastard trying to get around without proof of education even if your are capable. Working and studying at the same time for 7 years is not a pleasant thing let me tell you. Honest advice stick at it till you got your a-levels and do your best to get good marks cause it will open up so many more options in almost every aspect of life.

lewiss

Reaction score
o.k.

i'll give it all a good think (then buy a helmet for when i mention it to my rents. *text deleted*.

Your advice sounds pretty solid robj and Greenwell, and i will probably stay a civvy for my A-levels (gives me abit longer to be immature and get away with it *text deleted*), but even so i'd like to get as much info as i can on the matter, so i can get a better picture of what both parths entail.

Currently all i've heard is that joining at 16 is not a wise choice, but obviously some do do it. Do these guys then go on to regret joining at 16 and wish they could have stayed a civvy to do their A-levels (if they did them in the corp)?

If i did join at 16 and did my A-levels in the mariens why would this limit my options for applying at a civvy job: surley it wouldn't make any difference?

Is the collage in the marines stricter than a civvy one? As i could probably benefit from this and turn out better results.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
No A- Levels are A levels so where you get them wont really matter and yeah its ultimately your choice to make, everything else is just our opinion. Give Ninja a PM about it or call local careers office, maybe even pop in then talk it over with your parents best of luck to you on the decision and let us know the outcome

robj

Reaction score
I don't think there is a 'Marines collage' as such, I think they do civvy qualifications through a normal collage/university, so the accreditation isn't any less/more recognised.
As for 16 year olds regretting joining I would say it totally depends on the individual and everyone is different, personally I would never have joined at 16, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life at that age!

lewiss

Reaction score
thanks chris.

i'll go to my local AFCO soon and have a chat with them.

cheers.

M

MTW

mate get some life experience under your belt, get drunk shag 16yr old schoolgirls get some A-levels then join at 18, i personaly think even tho i love the corps, joining at sixteen would be throwing alot of good times away mate. plus you wont need the rents permision then. winner

JoePRMC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Do your A-Levels mate, i joined at 16 and then left to do my A-levels first. Just saves you wasting your time having to do it again. Your choice thou mate, good luck !!

mikewebb

Reaction score
i was in pretty much the same boat as you..dying to join but i knew i might need A levels in the future. i started my A levels..2 weeks later i quit..i just hated it *text deleted* im currently studying Uniformed services in my college. they do that course in *text deleted* local coll?? if they did i wud seriously consider it. you get A levels through the course..no exams..and all the work is done on the uniformed services. all my assignments are done on the marines and ive found out so much that will help me when i finally apply.
hey i know its not joining,
but atleast when u do u will have A levels and more of an insight in to the life, and more time to make choices based on what youv learnt.
we watched commando: on the front line and ross kemp as part of our course *text deleted*
anyway good luck with whatever u choose to do.

New Threads