A little entry question

Liam.O

Reaction score
hi guys
I've been wanting to join the marines for about 5-6 years now, i'm currently doing a BTEC national diploma in uniformed public services. But my question is this.
I originally applied as a standard marine, but was told i could not enter due to asthma. However. My doctor Has admitted long term misdiagnosis, and wheezing (a symptom of asthma) was connected to long term allergy suffering, along with headaches, dizzy spells and lethargy. Based on this, if this was to be put down in my medical records, would i still be eligible to join? or would they still ask me to wait the required 4 years?

thanks in advance

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Liam.

Assuming you pass the Recruiting Test & get forwarded for interview & medical, the Medical Examiner will cover your previous medical history.

With your consent, an asthma questionnaire will normally be sent to your GP to verify when you were last diagnosed with asthma and when you were last prescribed an inhaler. As you are aware, you need to be 4 years clear of treatment & symptoms. The reason for this is that it is a life threatening condition. Your GP would have to convince the Medical Examiner he/she had misdiagnosed your condition from the outset.

With regards your BTEC Public Services Course, by virtue of the fact you have posted your query in the Officer section, you are also strongly advised to contact your AFCO at the very earliest opportunity to verify whether the end qualification makes you academically eligible to apply as an Officer. Sadly colleges often make claims with regard the equivalency of PSC and A Level UCAS points, neglecting to note that the all-up total of UCAS points must be from two non-overlapping subjects to be accepted by AIB. This can only be categorically established by the AFCO faxing details of your course content to AIB.

Liam.O

Reaction score
so in essencemy GP would have to wipe my records from when my asthma was last cleared? making that 6 years ago, and by the time the course is complete 8 years, and that would be my only option?
and i think i may look into what you said about my course, if that is such the case then i may consider a course change, if in time
thanks for your help :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
so in essencemy GP would have to wipe my records from when my asthma was last cleared? making that 6 years ago, and by the time the course is complete 8 years, and that would be my only option?
and i think i may look into what you said about my course, if that is such the case then i may consider a course change, if in time
thanks for your help :)
Your GP cannot wipe your medical history. So as long as you haven't been prescribed an inhaler and have been symptom free for the 4 years prior to your medical examination at the AFCO, then you should be OK. If you have suffered the symptoms of asthma or been prescribed treatment, whether you used it or otherwise, then your GP would have to put up a convincing argument for treating you for asthma if you didn't have it.

Before considering an academic course change, you simply need to verify whether the qualification makes you eligible to apply as an officer at your AFCO. It may be that it is, but the categoric advice should be obtained via the careers office rather than your college.