A Muslim's Concerns

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
A quick google search shows Islam to make up 4.4% of the UK Population, not that I see the relevance particularly.

The Corps doesn't discrimate nor positively discriminate. The lads beliefs will be respected but end of the day he will be judged on his professional and personal standards alone. Just like everyone else. I've worked in a number of industries and the Corps is the closest I've ever seen to true equality.
I can’t agree with this more, my lad was a footballer for most of his youth at pro clubs. All the decisions that affected him were based on the personal opinion of someone who generally hadn’t played the game. Marines was so refreshing, it was a standard to live up to and try to exceed, at still a young age he is flourishing and I don’t think he could have picked a better career for his development.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
A quick google search shows Islam to make up 4.4% of the UK Population, not that I see the relevance particularly.

The Corps doesn't discrimate nor positively discriminate. The lads beliefs will be respected but end of the day he will be judged on his professional and personal standards alone. Just like everyone else. I've worked in a number of industries and the Corps is the closest I've ever seen to true equality.
Christian churches being demolished en masse throughout Europe (such as France), Christianity, the main European religion and historical enemy of Islam, is dying out. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK so unless it teeters out from lack of faith, it will become dominant and instead of praying to "God" it will be "Allah".

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Christian churches being demolished en masse throughout Europe (such as France), Christianity, the main European religion and historical enemy of Islam, is dying out. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK so unless it teeters out from lack of faith, it will become dominant and instead of praying to "God" it will be "Allah".
Are you going out of your way to act like a muppet?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I think to be fair, the propagation of science since the beginning of the enlightenment period had more to do with the reduction of Christianity rather than Islam.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score

As a reminder the OP was asking about specific beliefs potentially causing problems with his potential career choice.

You're being very provocative with your posts and seem very quick to re direct things onto more controversial topics. In this instance, how much of the population follows each religion or how much church's have been shut down for whatever reason you have decided is all pretty irrelevant to a lad asking if his faith will be respected into the Royal Marines.

I love a good debate from time to time, however turning every conversation into a controversial debate can be irritating in most social circles and especially in the Corps. Chill out, put the political microphone down for abit and lets all have a beer.

Dan8696

Reaction score
Can’t you lock the thread? All for debate but so many threads recently seem to descend into political toxicity :) Please someone ask how many push ups are going to cut it in rt
Or just lock him from posting for 24 hours. Everything the lad comes out with is just unnecessarily controversial. I'm a fan of free speech but he needs to be muted..

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
This place reads like reddit (not you, in general). Anyway, you'll be fine and the RM will have no choice but to go out there way to accommodate you (Islam is the upcoming dominant religion in the UK and a lot of Europe after all, inshallah). Most lads in there will welcome you too I imagine so expect a good time.
Reads like reddit? How did you get that, plus reddit is utter gash. Your post “reads” like some edgy teen thinking they are the big stuff. Maybe put the keyboard down and go out and experience the world.

RM won’t go out their way anymore to accommodate anyone over anyone else. You hit the standards, your in, and any requirements for faith have long been handled in the Corps since long before you started your great swim of life. You arent special

There’s other faiths who manage to get quietly on with their lives without gobbing off like some petulant child.

Which ever big fairytale man in the sky you believe in, he gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth, do you think he might have been hinting?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Pull your head out your @rse. You are sounding just like the kind of person we don’t want in the corps.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
I think to be fair, the propagation of science since the beginning of the enlightenment period had more to do with the reduction of Christianity rather than Islam.
Never meant to imply otherwise. If one reads Fate of Empires by John Glubb one would see the myriad of seemingly cyclical causes that lead to a religious decline.
As a reminder the OP was asking about specific beliefs potentially causing problems with his potential career choice.

You're being very provocative with your posts and seem very quick to re direct things onto more controversial topics. In this instance, how much of the population follows each religion or how much church's have been shut down for whatever reason you have decided is all pretty irrelevant to a lad asking if his faith will be respected into the Royal Marines.

I love a good debate from time to time, however turning every conversation into a controversial debate can be irritating in most social circles and especially in the Corps. Chill out, put the political microphone down for abit and lets all have a beer.
Yeah maybe you're right. I'll give it a break. Most people here just flip out rather than enquire anyway. Thanks mate.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Never meant to imply otherwise. If one reads Fate of Empires by John Glubb one would see the myriad of seemingly cyclical causes that lead to a religious decline.

Yeah maybe you're right. I'll give it a break. Most people here just flip out rather than enquire anyway. Thanks mate.
That’s quite possibly the lamest post I’ve ever read on here. You’re seriously trying to dismiss some of the most curious minds in the military? Whatever your agenda was I’m glad you’re gone. Good luck mate

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Can’t you lock the thread? All for debate but so many threads recently seem to descend into political toxicity :) Please someone ask how many push ups are going to cut it in rt
The only time we ever lock threads is for Persec or Opsec reasons. If we ever felt someone was genuinely trolling the forum, and making posts just to be provocative then we would act.

In our experience, locking threads just makes it pop up somewhere else, or the thing people want to get off their chest just ends up appearing in, and taking over another thread. It's often best to let people discuss what they feel they need to.

Members have a range of personal moderation tools available. If they feel they don't want to read/alerted to someone's posts. They can click on click on their avatar, and select the "ignore" link. There is also the ability to ignore a whole thread, but alas I don't know where that is off hand.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I totally respect that, I just recently got a bit frustrated at the rhetoric of some of the posts. Almost felt like there was an agenda. I’m relaxed now;)

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pull your head out your @rse. You are sounding just like the kind of person we don’t want in the corps.
With an attitude like that he won’t make it. No way a troop would gel with him. Trying to get back to the topic for the OP it’s great that you have decided that your faith won’t be affected by joining.

r_yh__n

Reaction score
Are you that guy who was being sexist in that other thread? You should be aware that the United Kingdom is one of the most inclusive countries in the world, if not the most. So please keep your bias out.

r_yh__n

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I have drawn the following:

• My faith will be fully respected in the corps, as it is in the rest of British society
  • My faith will not be an excuse to get out of things, but it will be considered
  • Any racism is dealt with as swiftly as possible
  • I will be fully accommodated, with dietary requirements met a fully as possible

Again, thanks for the help, I will try to do my best to prepare myself for training. Not sure whether this should be another thread, but as of now (15 years old) I can do:

• 20 Push-Ups (2 second intervals inbetween)
  • 35 Sit-Ups (No interval)
  • 5 Chin-Ups (Hanging from knees, basically a Pull-Up the other way round)
  • 2 Lengths of Frontstroke in under a minute
  • 1 Length of Breaststroke in under a minute
  • I cannot currently push myself under the water enough to retrieve a brick, except from a dive

If you would rather the above was posted in a new thread, please notify me and I will do. Thanks once again.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I have drawn the following:

• My faith will be fully respected in the corps, as it is in the rest of British society
  • My faith will not be an excuse to get out of things, but it will be considered
  • Any racism is dealt with as swiftly as possible
  • I will be fully accommodated, with dietary requirements met a fully as possible

Again, thanks for the help, I will try to do my best to prepare myself for training. Not sure whether this should be another thread, but as of now (15 years old) I can do:

• 20 Push-Ups (2 second intervals inbetween)
  • 35 Sit-Ups (No interval)
  • 5 Chin-Ups (Hanging from knees, basically a Pull-Up the other way round)
  • 2 Lengths of Frontstroke in under a minute
  • 1 Length of Breaststroke in under a minute
  • I cannot currently push myself under the water enough to retrieve a brick, except from a dive

If you would rather the above was posted in a new thread, please notify me and I will do. Thanks once again.
For retrieving a brick I am pretty sure you do dive in to get it instead of starting out from the pool.