A nice cold bath

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, after you work out forget the sauna's, forget the hot showers. Go straight into a cold bath and your body will love you for it in the long term.

Tones you up and stops muscle swelling. Yeah it's not very pleasant jumping into a very cold bath or shower, takes the breath away doesn't it? However, it's good for your muscles, especially after you've worked out.

Honestly, avoid sauna's! All they do is shag you out and you'll have no energy at all the next day!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I dont have energy the next week! :rock:

Joking aside, ye it is better. Still amuses me when people go in the sauna then apply ice packs :amuse:

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hot water improves blood circulation, and helps pump that blood to the muscles to heal faster. It also helps lengthen tendons and helps the body stretch and avoid injury. Hence why a " warm up " is extremely important, as is a " warm down ". By jumping in a cold shower you can shock the body and cause the muscles to tense up, resulting in loss of movement, and potential strains.

As an ex personal trainer, I would not advise a very cold bath, or shower until you are fully cooled down. The only time you want to ice your body is when you have a specific injury that is extremely inflammed, and again, this is after your " warm down ". This is a main reason why many body builders hit the hot tub after a hard workout, to help soothe the muscles / joints, and to accelerate blood flow.

This is a decent read as well - http://marcocardinale.Training Logs1pot.com/2008/04/ice-and-cold-water-after-resistance.html

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
my boilers broke so i have no option but a cold shower :-0
in fact it been broken like 3 months now... really should call a plumber haha

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
After I come back from a run I love to go in a coldish shower. Its quite cold but not freezing. I go in about 10 minutes after my run.

T

tricky123

cold baths can lead to cardiac arrest :uglyhammer: :Wisper:

Luke995

Reaction score
yeah they can so id rather have a cold shower, when i come in from kick boxing and my legs are soo fat! off swellin i like to run them in a cold shower for at least 10minutes, but for cold baths nahh i wouldnt have them *text deleted* only nutters have them :P

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cold baths can lead to cardiac arrest :uglyhammer: :Wisper:

Highly unlikely
I think you've been watching too much Bear Grylls: Man v Wild :uglyhammer:

Water has to be at an extremly low temprature to cause something like that, and in the Marines your going to be thrown into water which is probably just as cold if not colder than a cold bath!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he meant right after training or a warmdown ;p

My cold shower follows all the warmdown procedures and when i can feel my legs working properly again haha

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he meant right after training or a warmdown ;p

My cold shower follows all the warmdown procedures and when i can feel my legs working properly again haha

I see what you mean. Yeah you not suppose to cold shower or bath right away, but after you've warmed down it's ok to cold shower. Maybe cold bath is a big extreme, but still good to cool your muscles off.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hot showers are still best to do after workouts to help repair muscles, and soothe the joints. Hence why natural hot springs are so popular.

Extremely cold water CAN cause cardiac arrest. In fact in the Royal Marines if you ever do exercises in Norway or Sweden, they will be teaching you how to ski, and winter survival ( this is a must for mountain leaders ). One test they do is cut a hole in the frozen lake, and have the RM's fall in. They have to immediately give there name and rank, and ask permission before getting out of the water. Many of them are so messed up from the sudden cold when falling in, that all they can spit out is incomprehensible jargon that makes no sense. I hear the officers and other men real get a kick out of it *text deleted*. The sudden cold can do that to people, take the breathe right away from you.

C

critchmufc

Highly unlikely
I think you've been watching too much Bear Grylls: Man v Wild :uglyhammer:

Water has to be at an extremly low temprature to cause something like that, and in the Marines your going to be thrown into water which is probably just as cold if not colder than a cold bath!

super cold icy water leads to cardica rest

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm confused now because I know all professional athletes use cold baths.

There are facilities at football clubs for ice baths, all the players have one after a match, as well as boxers, you get the idea. And in the Olympic events all athletes had ice vests on after an event, so tell me, are all of these people wrong?

It's meant to help recovery or some such, THEN you have your hot bath after it.