A nice story

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
That's so genuinely nice, apart from the hotel thing, I think we are seeing a rise in respect for our service men/women.

Knockton

Reaction score
Last time i went to america you could get into seaword for basically free if you or a member of your party was in coalition forces,
the joys of having a dad in the navy *text deleted*

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is, as much as the wider public should apreciate the you men and women that risk their lives in the forces, im not doing it for them. Im doing it for me.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you read on to line 64:

"The guard was later dismissed for this conduct, and the soldier given an £80 fine for fair dodging."

......Joking by the way. Hope that is a true story!

It is a shame that in Britain the armed forces are often treated with contempt.

Apparantly, how soldiers are treated when they return back from warzones is an important factor in whether they will later suffer from PTSD.

Soldiers have to do very difficult things and make tough choices in conflict, and they do this in good faith that they are acting with the country behind them, and will be looked after when they get home, or if they are wounded.

If when they get back, they are greeted by anti's who spit in their face (americans soldiers returning from vietnam?!) and told they are murderers this that and the other, and nobody is gratefull of them, then this can have a very bad effect on the soldiers mental wellbeing.

I think it's a disgrace how soldiers are sometimes hung out to dry later in court for acting on split second decisions when in dangerous situation.

The whole Iraq thing has not been hugely popular with the British public, and i think this is why the troops are not getting much praise or thanks.
People can't seem to distuingish that it is the politicians making these decisions, and not the soldiers, who are the ones risking their lives!

When the nation is more behind a war and the patriotism kicks in a bit, like it was in the Falklands (i'm guessing, bit before my time,) i reckon the troops would be thanked more, and given more of a hero's return.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
About bloody time!

Shame alot of people in this country are so ignorant to what soldiers actually do. Sure its a paid job, so's being a dustbin man, yet they still complain non-stop (picking up a bin is very hard you know.. wheelie bins even more so!).

Great news.