A place to debate- "Oh no, it isn't....."

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A debate section would be good, somewhere we can talk politics and defence issues. Not sure what you'd think about that - might turn the site into a general forum. But it could be good for those wanting to do POC.

As suggested, a debate forum has now been created to encourage lively discussion.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Nice one. I'll keep an eye on the news, see if I can get a thread going.

Danny Lake

Reaction score
I know I am new to this forum but would it be possible to move the "current and military affairs" section to the general area as I can't help but think it would be good to encourage both potential officers and recruits to take an active interest in these things.

I am joining as a marine commando, not a commando officer and would welcome to chance to engage those who aren’t potential officers in some kind of lively discussion about the events that are going to effect all of us, not just the potential officers.

Just a thought. Feel free to tell me to piss off :biggrin:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Feel free to tell me to piss off :biggrin:

Ooh, thanks Danny, too kind.

Seriously though, you do have a good point as the News section is a cracking feature to keep abreast of current military affairs and indeed a good source of topics for debate. Bear with us & 'll have a go at shuffling it around when possible.

At present the site is being re-formatted for inclusion on the official RM website, so we may have to hang fire until the 'face-lift' is completed (hopefully next month).

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ooh, thanks Danny, too kind.

Seriously though, you do have a good point as the News section is a cracking feature to keep abreast of current military affairs and indeed a good source of topics for debate. Bear with us & 'll have a go at shuffling it around when possible.

At present the site is being re-formatted for inclusion on the official RM website, so we may have to hang fire until the 'face-lift' is completed (hopefully next month).

Interesting. Who did you sleep with to get it onto the RM website and with their blessing? I imagine we might see increased traffic around here if its included onto the main site?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Interesting. Who did you sleep with to get it onto the RM website and with their blessing? I imagine we might see increased traffic around here if its included onto the main site?

:amazed: Erm no-one, honest guv. It's viewed as another asset in the recruiting arsenal so it's being "merged".

As you state though, we've had around 500 000 page views this year (last time I checked), the RM website has had about 5 000 000 independent visits, so it's anticipitated the membership on here will increase somewhat (we hope).

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
When you say 'merged' do you mean integration with the RM website or simply directions to this website?

I don't like the idea of it being institutionalised, no doubt some policy's and restrictions will float over and more generic replies given!

I'm starting to feel like one of the old drips on Rum Ration because we will no doubt get a horde of mongs asking the same questions.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Touchstone,

Those are valid concerns and they were and maybe still are shared by the powers that be and they thought long and hard before deciding about the way forward.

However the help you can get from the official staff will be 10x what we can give you now. Imagine 5 RM Recruitment Officer's on the site, 20 Ninja Stoker's, Mountain Leader's and maybe even the odd SF popping on to give some advice. So people on here will get the best of the best advice. The site will me much faster and slicker, probably even more features.

One of the problems is that if something happened to me tomorrow and I popped my clogs then the site will die off as it's in my name, the domain name would not be renewed and the hosting would go off. Data protection will mean nobody could intervene. One thing transferring it into official hands means is that it will continue what ever unforeseen actions occurred.

From my personal point of view mate and being a little bit selfish, the RM's is something I need put behind me now. I would never have abandoned the site but it takes a fair bit of work and whilst Ninja does most of it, it still takes a lot of time.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well I know you guys do a great job and thank you for this place you have created. I have always found useful gems of information here, and always great advice from Ninja, as well as discussing important issues but having a laugh too.

What will actually happen to this site then? Will the forums disappear and be built from the ground up? I really like the layout of the site, it makes it easier to use and adds to the feel of the community. I know a lot of these designs that have a lot put into them are sort of bland and unwelcoming. This probably wouldn't comply to their 'quality standards', bureaucratic *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*s! But the RM website looks pretty good so if it is consistent with that layout....

But what will happen with you guys though? Obviously 20 stokers would be good but it isn't thee Ninja Stoker *sheds tear*. I imagine they wouldn't want an unofficial moderator there. SF guys in there sounds good but can't say I would believe it. I mean you could ask tips for UKSF selection and I'm sure the cynical *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**s would love dealing with snotty nosed little kunts.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
What will actually happen to this site then? Will the forums disappear and be built from the ground up? I really like the layout of the site, it makes it easier to use and adds to the feel of the community. I know a lot of these designs that have a lot put into them are sort of bland and unwelcoming. This probably wouldn't comply to their 'quality standards', bureaucratic *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*s! But the RM website looks pretty good so if it is consistent with that layout....

The hope is that the forum structure will stay and the ideal outcome would be still using vbulletin for the forum.

But what will happen with you guys though? Obviously 20 stokers would be good but it isn't thee Ninja Stoker *sheds tear*. I imagine they wouldn't want an unofficial moderator there. SF guys in there sounds good but can't say I would believe it. I mean you could ask tips for UKSF selection and I'm sure the cynical *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**s would love dealing with snotty nosed little kunts.

I will become a regular user, they should recognise the work Ninja has put in and his experience on here, so although it's the decision of those above I can't see much change.

As for people coming on the site and being imposter's, that will certainly be ruled out. It's pretty easy for people in the right places to verify who others say they are.

As for staff coming on here and being short with people, of course it does happen but the RN /RM spend £x,xxx's to get each candidate through the AFCO door. They ain't going to send people on here to scare them off.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Next up: how not to argue like 15 year olds, part 19.

But yea, had brilliant advice, and this site was the main reason i was able to get the information and be prepared for my interview, I had good knowledge apparantly so I'm going to thank all of you here for that one.

Plus, 20 ninja's? theres only one ninja! :love:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Plus, 20 ninja's? theres only one ninja! :love:

Gosh, if only!

The advice that is posted under my username is often quoted almost verbatim from the guys actually doing the job in question, all I do is try to make it readable and interesting, often deleting expletives or removing the "Is this guy real?" aspects.

When all's said and done, the Royal Marines are the guys that give the answers, my username is just a conduit to deliver the correct advice. Whenever a personal opinion is expressed under my username (often wrong!) a correction is usually soon to follow.

If at all possible, it's hoped we will continue to help out on the site, but the best advice, however delivered, is best coming directly from the Corps so the site improvements will genuinely be just that.

The civilian company tasked with transforming this site are pretty big in the business world, have a list of "blue chip" clients with many high street names amongst their client portfolio. They have already won many awards for the current RM Website, and rightly so in our opinion.

(Google: 26London)

New Threads