A question about life after RT

Matthew " Osiris" Cook

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering about life in the barracks my family is dispersed across Europe and the pacific so I can't stay at home with them. What are the rules with what you can have in your room in the barracks? Can I bring my PC or TV or is it strict and you are only allowed what is provided?

Thanks,

Osiris

foggers

Reaction score
I know in army regiments you can have DVD players, playstations and what not to your rooms.

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a little shifty after reading Steven Preece's books that after training you're treated like a piece of *text deleted**text deleted* until you "prove yourself" like, beatings etc.

This was some years ago and I take it it's changed but...?

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Books

I'm a little shifty after reading Steven Preece's books that after training you're treated like a piece of *text deleted**text deleted* until you "prove yourself" like, beatings etc.

This was some years ago and I take it it's changed but...?
My first book starts in the 1980's and finishes in 1990. The type of violent culture I walked into wasn't rife across the Corps and was changing for the better as the years went on. Although that said, I'm not saying everybody is an angel these years on. Albeit: I did get it on authority some time ago that, that type of behaviour would not be tollerated these days. There will be antics, trivial stuff, but more so *text deleted* taking than anything else.

If you've also read my second book, Always A Marine, you'll realise how much I grew to love the Corps and also how much I missed it after I left. Now if I can feel like that after a difficult inception, imagine how much you might love your job as a bootneck, after a good one.

Cheers

Steve

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So would we be able to basically use the barracks as if it was our home?
i.e. get internet access, have all our items there like our laptops, tvs, games consoles and anything else?

What about space for cars etc?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering about life in the barracks my family is dispersed across Europe and the pacific so I can't stay at home with them. What are the rules with what you can have in your room in the barracks? Can I bring my PC or TV or is it strict and you are only allowed what is provided?

Thanks,

Osiris

When you initially join you should only take the kit listed on your Joining Letter & as advised in the Recruit Handbook.

Your Troop Corporal will advise at what point of training you may bring luxury items.

RM-Mum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Son has his own TV, DVD player, laptop, games console, bedding, sports equipment - think he even had a George Foreman grill with him at one point, but that seems to have been brought back home.

Not sure about wireless connectivity for the internet. Lads in my sons accomodation all seem to have those mobile internet thingies that you stick in your laptop.

Yes you can bring your car with you - you'll get a parking permit.

Hope this helps.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Kit

Once you pass out of basic training, things are a lot more relaxed. You will be able to bring your personal kit then, within reason. But you'll also be responsible for securing them away when not in use or during rounds.

Cheers

Steve

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Not sure if its allowed but a pal of mine out in theatre at the moment has his mobile phone with him. *text deleted* had calls from him whilst on base.

I know for some reason they aren't allowed to text message, and definitely no MMS.

Matthew " Osiris" Cook

Reaction score
Son has his own TV, DVD player, laptop, games console, bedding, sports equipment - think he even had a George Foreman grill with him at one point, but that seems to have been brought back home.

Not sure about wireless connectivity for the internet. Lads in my sons accomodation all seem to have those mobile internet thingies that you stick in your laptop.

Yes you can bring your car with you - you'll get a parking permit.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply, that was exactly the information I was after. :laugh: at the Foreman grill.... fads hey in one week out the next....

Osiris