A Question for those Serving

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
Went for a run today and a thought crossed my mind.
I've spent the majority of my life in a military environment as my dad is in the army (12 months left of a 35 year career I might add, not that I'm proud or anything)
I know what the environment is like in the ARMY, I've witnessed it first hand.
I was just wondering, is the environment and/or atmosphere similar in the Royal Marines?
I knew a bloke who has since retired who was Royal Engineers (commando trained) and when I was about 16 I spoke to him about it and he said the Royal Marines are like nobody else, and he said the discipline and ability to be independent yet work as a team was something quite extraordinary and almost exclusive to the Royal Marines. He said to be a Royal Marine is to be a "thinking mans soldier" and not the "chimps" you get in the army (his words).
Now, can anybody second that opinion?
Do the Royal Marines really have that sense of 'brotherhood' that no other branch of the forces have?
I would rather answers from those who are serving or have served previously as I think they would be have more insight on the matter, but I'm happy to hear anyone else's opinion of course.

Sorry for going on.. and on..

...and on.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
I formed part of the advance party that took over from 42 Cdo on H14 into H15.
We embedded for five days with a multiple from 42 cdo operating out of a CP in Nad (N).
I genuinely couldn’t of asked for a better bunch of blokes and apart from their penchant for turning ECM blue off for too long on patrol and their obsession with washing they were great. They were calm and collected during a contact.

Having spent time with RM both on tour and during various courses- especially with a mutual friend of @The guide in the infamous Keogh Barracks bar, I have always found bootnecks to be smarter than the average bear (especially the maroon ones) mature and a good laugh.

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The lads in my troop are the best set of lads I could ask for. Everybody looks out for eachother, there are no cliques, if somebody is short of a ciggy or a few quid , he gets sorted out no questions asked. You know if you need them or a sofa to stop on they will always say yes.

Work wise we work hard and give it 100% but always in the back of our minds is the next run ashore. As mentioned before you will make mates and memories for life. Although the boozing is played down a bit now, due to unfortunate incidents blighting the corps...it is the biggest boys club in the world. What other job offers a few days on the ranges shooting machine guns , followed by a long weekend after on the drink!

Not being biased but I have family and friends that are ex army and they always admired the bootnecks and noted their calm/professional manner.

pick1

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread but also a question for those currently serving, how does the process work for a serving marine having a baby, are you allowed the time off to be at the birth or is this down to your boss’ discretion? Can understand if away on operations but would you be forced to go on a training exercise or be allowed to leave if your partner went into labour? Thanks

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread but also a question for those currently serving, how does the process work for a serving marine having a baby, are you allowed the time off to be at the birth or is this down to your boss’ discretion? Can understand if away on operations but would you be forced to go on a training exercise or be allowed to leave if your partner went into labour? Thanks

As with any employer you are entitled to paternity leave.

More here :

Chelonian

Reaction score
...how does the process work for a serving marine having a baby, are you allowed the time off to be at the birth or is this down to your boss’ discretion?

Difficult to generalise about every operational circumstance but here's an anecdote as an example of the effort that is made whenever possible:

The partner of my friend's daughter is a submariner. About five years ago she was in the maternity ward at Torbay Hospital and it was decided that the birth would be induced. The partner was 'somewhere' east of Gibraltar on patrol in a nuclear-powered fleet submarine.

The sub surfaced; partner airlifted from the casing by helicopter; sub submerged and resumed patrol. The partner was conveyed to a civilian airport which has a regular link to Exeter airport. Tickets and other documents were waiting for him at check in.

The amusing bit is that when he walked onto the maternity ward his missus shouted "Where the bloody hell have you been?"
His response: "I don't know but if I did know I couldn't tell you." :)

New Threads