Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

A question of age - ex service

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by GSRider, Dec 16, 2018.

1. GSRider

GSRider New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all,

Apologies if this seems like a question that has already been answered, but regardless of where I look, nothing seems definitive for my situation.

I’m 33, ex Royal Air Force with 14 years service. The navy recruiting website states RMR joining age for those with previous service is 52, however I’m receiving conflicting advice from different sources, so I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of something solid?

To qualify for the upper age limit, I’ve heard from the naval careers online that I have to be a former marine, I heard from the telephone call centre that I have to be ex navy and the careers office in Norwich that it doesn’t matter what service I was. So, can I join or am I too old? Anyone point me in the direction of a difinitive answer?

Thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It depends whether you have the skillset and currency (usually less than 5 years outside) needed by the RMR at the time of applying.

I've processed a Royal Engineer SNCO, who was Commando qualified and over age 40 recruited as an instructor, an RM WO2 as an RMR Officer (without the academic quals) & similarly several SF Commissioned Officers, well over age 52 - for entry into the RMR in specific, designated roles.

If you are an RAF Commando, so much the better, but if not already Commando qualified, then 32 is normally max age to join as an untrained rank who would be required to undergo RFCC.

Possibly the person you spoke to at Norwich thought you meant RNR rather than RMR? Possibly they got it wrong - it is a complex area.

If in doubt, get a CV together which covers your former service skillset, submit an online application, upload your discharge docs & the CV and wait to see whether approval is granted.

Good luck.

3. GSRider

GSRider New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I do not have the commando skill set, as I was not in a combative role, and had the intention of committing to the full training package. Just hoped that the previous service would allow me to get a foot in the door. I’m confident I have the fitness, although I know that ageing bodies don’t fare as well as young ones!

He knew I was talking about RMR as he was telling me how it wasn’t just a turn up and tell stories kind of affair! I’m oretty sure he said he was reading line 6 of the Gem. Although I may have got that wrong.

I’ll get an application in and see where we go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, the job employability matrix (JEM) (Maritime Reserves spreadsheet) Line5 is 32 untrained, 51 trained (depending on availability of billets, skillset & rank) as determined by Branch Requirements Manager.

Either way, worth an ask, let us know how you get on. If you attend an initial maritime reserves presentation (IMRP) at your local unit, the unit CO may like the cut of your jib and request an age waiver. Doesn't happen very often, mind.

Good luck.

Screenshots below:

Screenshot_20181216_133310.jpg
    Screenshot_20181216_133428.jpg

5. GSRider

GSRider New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks @Ninja_Stoker, I knew you’d come good! I’ll try and get an application in and see what happens, although I won’t hold my breath. I think I’m mostly against admitting that I’m too old for something!

• Like Like x 1